X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol
    Attached Files

Comment

• BMW announces it will shift some SUV production away from its plant in South Carolina because China's retaliatory tariffs make it too expensive in one of its biggest markets

FRANKFURT, Germany — Automaker BMW says it will build more of its popular SUVs overseas to offset the higher cost of sending cars to China due to recently enacted tariffs.

Comment

• Trump admin to publish list of an additional $200 B in tariffs on Chinese products some time this week. Which will be retaliated against, dollar for dollar, or in other ways (there are already reports of Chinese govt "food inspectors" suddenly denying American cargo ships permission to unload perishable goods until everything is spoiled)

Comment

• On the other hand, this cools off the economy a little bit, which is a nice way to moderate the sugar-rush approach to policy in DC and push off the next crisis. It'll be interesting to see what happens when tax laws are fully adjusted. America had a tax-policy debate that by-and-large didn't address the reality that there's a whole world of other countries that can make tax policy too. And that maybe companies like BMW or Harley Davidson are reacting to a smarter form of protectionism. The real shame of all this would be if when Trump's out we go back to previous trade policy. There is a real problem here and a good debate/reform process, rather than this meathead bullshit.

Comment

• Democrats on the generic poll have rebounded since late May...Nate Silver has thrown out there that, contrary to popular wisdom, Trump and the Republicans are more popular when it's a quiet news cycle

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              But, I'd actually consider voting for PDJT simply for his court picks alone provided the Ds nominate the wildly left person I'm fairly sure they'll nominate.
              Yeah, I'm sure that thoughts just killin ya .Heh.
              Last edited by The Oracle; July 11, 2018, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Democrats on the generic poll have rebounded since late May...Nate Silver has thrown out there that, contrary to popular wisdom, Trump and the Republicans are more popular when it's a quiet news cycle

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo
                Didnt he give Hillary a 70% chance of winning?

Comment

• Kettle calling the pot black: Very Stable Genius calls Germany "a captive of Russia".

President Donald Trump came out brawling in his first public comments here at the outset of NATO’s annual summit, accusing a close US ally of being “a captive of Russia,” calling members of the alliance “delinquent” in their defense spending and insisting they increase it “immediately.”
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Just another day in Trump's America

“Officer can you, please? I’m renting this area and he’s harassing me about the shirt that I’m wearing,” said the young woman at a Chicago park.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• A sociologist (the worst of all the pseudo "scientists") has posited that interest in the Thai cave rescue is 'empathetic hedonism'. The author of the article wonders aloud why we cared about these boys when there are millions of children in a war zone.

This isn't the point. It is certainly empathy; we empathize with the boys and their parents, sure, but this is also an exercise into problem solving, hope, and something where we can applaud and revel in the heroism, ingenuity, and resolve of the rescuers - none of which can rightly be equated with hedonism.

Children in a war zone get our empathy too, but the difference is there is no direct or immediate resolution possible. Wars are a complicated tapestry woven of economics, politics, security, fear, and greed. There is no A-team that can go in and end the fighting. As such, you feel for the people in the war zones and replace the admiration of the heroism of a rescue with hopelessness.

We are, indeed, drawn to stories of people beating their seemingly hopeless situations and surviving against the odds. Be it the kids in the cave in Thailand, the Apollo 13 mission, the survivors of the Horizon Oil platform explosion, the Chilean miners, or, more recently, the young grandmother in Georgia who was attacked by a rabid bobcat and choked the animal to death with her bare hands - all of these stories - and many others - give us heroism, ingenuity, and allow us to applaud the indefatigable human spirit. I guess we could ignore those stories or perhaps when hearing of them exclaim, "but there are children in war-torn countries, and children with cancer, too!"

Meh.
                      Last edited by AlabamAlum; July 11, 2018, 09:39 AM.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        .......... I guess we could ignore those stories or perhaps when hearing of them exclaim, "but there are children in war-torn countries, and children with cancer, too!"

Meh.
                        Typical of the glass half empty mentality of so many 1st world people who have it made but still find ways to shit on a great story (nice recap of your reaction to this dick-head BTW, AA)
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Exactly
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              Just another day in Trump's America

“Officer can you, please? I’m renting this area and he’s harassing me about the shirt that I’m wearing,” said the young woman at a Chicago park.

one douche bag is "Trump's America"?

Comment

• Who has said no immigration laws? I do think it is reasonable to ask if ICE as it is used so far is redundant. The US already has INS for immigration and the Border Patrol for the borders wouldn't it make more sense for ICE to be melted into one or both of this organizations?

I dont think you can have a substantial jobs guarantee on the federal level unless you are talking a comprehensive infrastructure package which this country sorely needs. Now, how you would do that is look at the backlog of federal and state projects that are not funded yet. Then, you go straight to the community colleges/skilled trade places and you create classes/courses dealing how to do the job. People from those classes (based on grades) get crack at those jobs. Those people that get first crack at these classes would be those that are underemployed/ lost jobs because of automation. Another thing you could do is have a universal basic income. Now instead of raising the minimum wage to $15/hr (which would encourage businesses to automate as much as they can at a faster rate) and dealing with potential inflation; you are now giving the money straight to the people that need it and that money would be spent and put into the local economies which would create multiple shots in the arm for the economy. If you just did the underemployed (22 million) and did just 1000/mo....that come out to 264 Billion for the year. That can be paid for with the enormous tax cut given to the 1% which was at $1+ trillion.

As for free college (under certain circumstances), there is money for that as well. Sen Sanders free tution and fees plan was estimated at $75 Billion. Seems a paltry sum to give those that need college degree---the piece of paper that opens a lot more doors for them. One of the highest drags on the economy is student loan debt which cannot even be discharged through bankruptcy. Now that is a different issue that needs to be addressed. But the idea of being debt free or close to it after graduating college would be a wonderful boon for those starting out in their adult life. At the very least that would give them more capital to spend and they would not have to delay making major purchases like many have to do now.

It is all about priorities.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X