No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it's a mainstream group because Pelosi and Biden haven't signed it but you're assuming they will. You may have to serve two minutes in the pedantry box with AA for making bad word choices, but I get your point, overall.

My guess is that support now is easy because there's no specifics. It doesn't even look like they have a definition of renewable energy yet. And we know that every rigid lefty ideologue in the environmental movement will be unable to tolerate the sausage-making process aspect of legislation. I'll be surprised if the Ds don't factionalize pretty fast once they see the struggles. This will help define the 2020 campaign, but it's not going to be legislation anytime soon. I hope what is does though is create some drive to do more reasonable/less recklessly ambitous things to undercut its momentm, like perhaps a welldesigned carbon tax.

Comment

• Well, I agree that it won't be legislation because, e.g., the Senate will never pass it. It will remain consigned to "bill" status.

So it's a mainstream group because Pelosi and Biden haven't signed it but you're assuming they will.
      No. I don't care if they do or don't. What I'm certain of is that they won't be against it. (I'd guess that both will eventually be on the record as for it, but that's of no consequence today).

In any event, it's mainstream because it represents normal or conventional D thought as evidenced by, e.g., the rush to sign-on by 4 of the top 6 D Presidential candidates for 2020, at least as measured by polling in Iowa (Biden and Robert Francis are the other two) and near complete absence of opposition (at least from what I've read -- I'm happy to stand corrected if prominent Ds are out shitting on it -- and Joe Manchin don't count).

As it relates to Harris and Pelosi, I'm of the opinion that only of them would have a fucking prayer of winning a national election. Others may disagree.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It's easy to be in favor of something you know you won't ever have to vote on. It's mainstream in a way that requires using the word quite loosely. In almost any other setting, loose enough for you to mount a rather strident objection. You've hopped on people for word misuses far less egregious.

As far as whether people can eventually be for it when there are actual details, well, that's another story. One thing that's interesting about the power sector specifically is that it doesn't look like there are any entrenched interests that are just gonna get flat-out screwed. The suppliers of fossil fuels may be, but this represents big opportunity for everybody downstream of the pipeline. That's a lot of support from a lot of corners.

I wonder if this galvanizes R-side thinking about the conservative carbon-tax plan.

Comment

• Hack,

Not bad word choices at all. Words often have different definitions. The context leads the reader to the obvious defintion chosen. I do understand that someone who operates in a concrete mindset may have issues with a word having different definitions, but those personal emotions do not change facts. I also understand that some people do not know that a particular word has other definitions and they become defensive when their pedantic (and incorrect) corrections are rebuffed.

This is my forte. And, no, I do not mean a part of a sword blade or loudly played music. Context leads you to the correct defintion. Embrace it.

Your Friend,

AA
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Latest from Gabe Sherman on tensions in the White House.
            The leak of his schedules is a sign of deep disaffection. Mick Mulvaney, chafing at the family, is eyeing the exits, as is Larry Kudlow.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              This is my forte. And, no, I do not mean a part of a sword blade or loudly played music. Context leads you to the correct defintion.
              Here let me give it a try:

In the context of most people I know or have had exposure to from the state of Alabama, I enthusiastically agree that word choices are your forte.

I also think you should ponder what is means for a word choice to be good, bad, correct or needlessly complicated. This is something that people typically do before saying that they consider writing a forte.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to have a conversation on the policy issues of the day here. That's what this thread of this forum is for, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post

Here let me give it a try:

In the context of most people I know or have had exposure to from the state of Alabama, I enthusiastically agree that word choices are your forte.

I also think you should ponder what is means for a word choice to be good, correct or needlessly complicated. This is something that people typically do before saying that they consider writing a forte.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to have a conversation on the policy issues of the day here. That's what this thread of this forum is for, right?

See, the thing is, in the past, you mistakenly believed yourself to be the arbiter of good word choice and you set yourself upon correcting me for correctly using words you did not like or that you were unaware of the particular definition I used. Nothing I have ever penned here is complicated. This is a fairly well-read and educated lot and I expect them to immediately understand the context and the word's definition even if it is a secondary definition. Yourself included.

As far as what this thread is for, it is for miscellaneous things, not just policy issues of the day. You tasked me to address you on this particular topic again today. I obliged.

Good day to you sir or madam.

Yours in Samuel de Champlain,

AA
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 8, 2019, 03:58 PM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Has nothing to do with me. Strunk & White is all you need, and I directed you there. The word choice we both recall is a classic case of why they say what they say.

As for how to characterize this group, in general, well, it contains Wiz.

Comment

• Strunk said nothing about my word choices. Nothing. Zero.

Comment

• Further, the appeal to authority with Strunk over a message board is pants-on-head retarded.

Comment

• Dyz8F7UWkAEad8h.jpg:small.jpg

Comment

• Strunk had no idea who you are, or me. But there's a good reason why we know who he was. And, if we consider this kind of thing our forte, there's reason to care about his opinion on using the tertiary meaning of a word instead of the primary meaning of another.

Comment

• Strunk had no idea who you are, or me.
                            lmao. If Strunk were alive...

The definitions I used were not tertiary.

Comment

• ...he still wouldn't know who you are. Or me.

According to Merriam Webster I'm being too kind. Do you know the right word for not-in-the-top-four? I don't but it's probably not fifthiary.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X