Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
    Brace for a tweet storm.

A former longtime Republican congressman called Friday for the impeachment of President Donald Trump, who he said is an “illegitimate president.”
    wanna know why those 10 potential obstruction instances are not obstruction? because Mueller didn't say they were, and he punted to Barr who determined non-corrupt motive. meaning no criminal intent. and you can not have obstruction without intent.

dems lost.

Comment

• Trump praises dictator Kim while undercutting his own staff. Takes a piss on Bidan [sic] too. Implies that voters should go with Kim's choice in 2020! (Trump)

Jeff insists I should pretend this is great. This is all great. Do it for the country

Comment

• Yep, and this assclown is going to effectively deal with Iran.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Trump praises dictator Kim while undercutting his own staff. Takes a piss on Bidan [sic] too. Implies that voters should go with Kim's choice in 2020! (Trump)

Jeff insists I should pretend this is great. This is all great. Do it for the country

or he can throw away a year and a half, two summits of trust and relationship building and a chance at lasting peace because DSL isnt happy.

Comment

• Comment

• take you binky and your milk and get back in bed, you get shitty when you get tired.

Comment

• ThompsonAmashForWeb.jpg
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• A few posts up, I opined that the Palestinian issue was unsolvable and that US ME policy that acknowledged the correctness of Israel's political right and then pivoted to Iran was something I could support. I started thinking I over simplified the Israeli v. Palestinian conflict. I still hold that a nuclear armed Iran is a bigger threat to ME stability than an unsolveable Palestinian - Israeli conflict but that remains a significant ingredient in the turmoil there.

For those interested in understanding the current circumstances involving the Palestinians and Israelis the links below provide a Sunday read. They are both rather long. The first suggests that the conflict is not just about land and can broaden or in my case refresh your view of what has been going on there for decades. The second does a good job of laying out a way to "shrink" the conflict rather than try to solve it ....... which has been the raison d'etre since the Oslo Accords.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I wrote yesterday that the national security risk of starting impeachment proceedings against the president were high and that was ignoring the political risk for the Ds. R Senator Lindsey Graham agrees with me:

"Seventy percent of the Democratic base wants President Trump

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• That's based on several fallacies. First, Lindsey Graham is hardly an accurate source for the beliefs of the democrats. Second, if Trump were to admit that he sodomizes babies and bayonets puppies, the GOP senate would still vote to acquit. To the detriment of the nation they have become tribal zombies.

Mueller found no collusion. That's the end of that story. I believe Mueller's findings. I also believe Mueller when he can't clear Trump of obstruction and won't indict because Trump is a sitting prez. If you intentionally impede a criminal investigation, you are guilty of obstruction, regardless of the outcome of the investigation. That's the law.

Granted, I want Trump removed. But unfortunately, since the GOP has settled into the accomplices after the fact role where rule of law no longer counts, impeachment is not an option. Trump would have his minions spin his senate acquittal as exoneration anyway. So impeachment goes to the wayside. The best analogy for a senate trial is a white klansman being tried in the Reconstruction south for a crime against a non-white. Something the GOP can be very proud of, I'm sure.

So what is left? Use Trump's mental illnesses against him. He's a thin skinned obsessive narcissist. Blaring all criticisms and trumpeting the progression of investigations will move his focus to his ever precious projected image and lessen his ability to further damage this country. He is a clear and present danger to the United States. Since the Senate has abdicated it's Constitutional responsibility to act as a check and balance, it is difficult to reign in an unhinged president. It is now critically important to keep him obsessed and raging, rendering himself impotent until he can be booted out of office in 2020.

Impeachment won't happen. That's a republican wet dream. The upside is, and Pelosi has demonstrated this, that extremely stable genius can easily be baited into immature temper tantrums. Keep Chump focused on himself and Fox News and the nation will emerge from this nightmare sooner rather than later.

Comment

• So, you'd advocate to hobble the executive for what amounts to 18 months (Until January 2021) by having Pelosi and her collaborators keep baiting him? You'd advocate this despite the fact that, to date, there is no substantive grounding in criminal activity upon which to launch an impeachment proceeding in the House and despite the fact if even if there was, the likelihood of the Senate convicting at trial is less than zero? ......

......And, you are for a political take down such a thing would be and the loss of legislative time, deferred because no one will cooperate during the take down. On the national level, you are against any kind of HC reform, lowering of prescription drug prices, infrastructure improvement and any number of legislative proposals currently on the docket because Trump is an ass-clown you want to take down.

Meanwhile, on the international level, there is zero incentive for NK or Iran to negotiate nuke deals because they are better off waiting for (probably) Biden. China will continue to play the long game, continue to be unwilling to concede anything, because it will pay dividends to wait for (probably) Biden.

Your entire thesis rests on the willingness of the electorate to see that Trump is unfit for the presidency and vote for (probably) Biden. I suppose that could happen but it seems to me that's a high-risk, low return bet with the risk being a collapse in any kind of useful negotiations with NK or Iran, no trade deals with China, a run on the stock-market, the continued emboldening of groups and courts who oppose his tough immigration policies among other things that won't get done, none of this good for the nation.

I'd defer to the electoral votes counters among us to predict the best case situation for (probably Biden) with Trump losing the 2020 election based on a shift in the sentiment of his base. Your desired upside. Frankly, and here I agree with Graham, the Ds would get hammered for doing what you are advocating. YMMV.

Comment

• Jeff, you admit Trump is an ass-clown yet you hold him to no standards whatsoever. You expect all Democrats to play nice, be adults, and even offer up flattering praise for Trump while expect nothing from Trump in return. Trump can behave any way he pleases and you'll support him for the reason that "it's good for the country". Maybe what's good for the country is that Trump doesnt get a second term? That doesn't seem to have even crossed your mind as a possibility.

Bill Clinton, Bush, and Obama all still worked with the opposition party while they were enduring investigation after investigation. Again, you hold Trump to a far, far lower standard than every President whose gone before him.

Comment

• Here's the "highly principled, non-partisan" Lindsey Graham explaining why he cheers Trump for ignoring congressional subpoenas yet in the late 90's felt Clinton should be impeached for doing the same. See if you think he actually answered the question. All I got is that Republicans in the 90's acted with virtue and no thought of politics; Democrats today are a bunch of mean bullies.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; May 26, 2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• No Jeff, I want the best for our country.

We will get nothing from North Korea. Kim got his face to face with a US president, legitimizing his regime on the world stage, for nothing in exchange. NK has now been a closed society ala 1984 for 3 generations. Having the country suffer from isolation and famine (for the umpteenth time) means nothing to the NK regime. Many countries (China, Switzerland, Pakistan, ect) subvert the US sanctions with impunity. No matter what the US does, China will not let NK fall and have a pro West regime put in its place. That's a geopolitical fact and no amount of verbal BJs Trump and Kim exchange will change that Sino policy of NK support.

Russia? Its well established that the intelligence community (correctly) views Trump as a US threat. Trump routinely dismisses intel assessments to fit his alternate reality. He doesn't even read the Daily Briefing! Forget that Trump publicly stated he believes Putin over the world's intelligence agencies? Somehow, that doesn't sound like someone who has American best interests in mind. Trump has met with the US's greatest adversary (Putin) in meetings (plural) with no other American's present, even interpreters. Other than treason, what could Trump possibly be talking about that no other American can be allowed to know? Best case - Trump is being blackmailed. Worst case -Trump is a willing puppet for financial gain post presidency. Compromised President or traitor - neither scenario the US should tolerate.

How about Iran? Another grave US adversary. I see another Iraq on the horizon. We eliminated Saddam, Al-Qaida, the Baathists, and the Intelligence Service. What happened? We left a country as wreckage which saw Iraqi officers flocking to become the backbone of newly created ISIS. What will happen if the mullahs and the Revolutionary Guard collapse? You think the Iranians will have anything to do with a US / UN installed gov't? That is a religiously fevered, tribal, patriarchal society. We ain't changing that. Is there some fully funded, massive Marshal Plan waiting in the wings? Kinda doubt it. Breaking things is easy, leaving the mess even easier, but advancing US interests is hard in non-Western states. I have no illusions about Iran and it's objectives. But a foreign policy of only threats and saber rattling is insane. The Iranians will not rise against their religious institutions.

Trade with China? Yeah, lets hammer US businesses with a Trump tax. That'll show the Chinese! Trying to force a communist country not subsidize or advantage it's economy is like trying to force a capitalist country to have nothing but non-profit businesses. Not going to happen. Don't ignore the fact that US businesses agreed to technology transfer as the price to do business there. That's putting profit ahead of national interest. So long as money is being made in the stock market, its okay to harm national security? Real leverage needs to be found to modify Cinese behavior, not these US harming policy hallucinations Trump is so fond of.

What about Trump's incessant lying? What ally will trust a pathological liar? When Trump gets called out, he doubles down on his lies. You have no issue with trusting the well being of this nation with an ass clown who will amorally say anything in order to please only himself? You're okay with someone who asks subordinates to lie for him as well? Of course not. So how can you condone such behavior from Trump?

How about Trump's utter disregard of the Constitution? Attempting to circumvent the Constitutionally directed appropriations processes in support of a phony national emergency? Just for starters!

China, NK, the ME are all playing Trump like a two dollar fiddle. Every other statement out of Trump's mouth is a lie. Agreements are arbitrarily torn up. What makes you think any agreement with the Trump administration will be regarded as anything more than toilet paper? We will find ourselves in the same boat in Jan 2021 as we do today. Or perhaps in a more dangerous world because of Trump.

Trump is a clear and present danger to this country. Since the Senate is actively enabling Trump's criminal behavior, grid locking the Executive Branch is the nation's only alternative against our self inflicted worst enemy. The risks faced with an impotent president are far less than having an unhinged one that is also untethered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                Jeff, you admit Trump is an ass-clown yet you hold him to no standards whatsoever. You expect all Democrats to play nice, be adults, and even offer up flattering praise for Trump while expect nothing from Trump in return. Trump can behave any way he pleases and you'll support him for the reason that "it's good for the country". Maybe what's good for the country is that Trump doesnt get a second term? That doesn't seem to have even crossed your mind as a possibility.

Bill Clinton, Bush, and Obama all still worked with the opposition party while they were enduring investigation after investigation. Again, you hold Trump to a far, far lower standard than every President whose gone before him.
                                Policy matters. We've pretty much all decided character is what it is (who said that here or something like it?)

And yes, I certainly have considered Trump not getting reelected. That's going to be up to the voters and I'm good with that. I also think if the D's move to impeach, Trump will get re-elected save some black swan event that arises out of the impeachment process that is a death blow to him ...... something like the smoking gun that got Nixon.

Comment

Working...
                                X