Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    Well you have to be a little discreet with this going on next door. For some reason setting up the lawn chair with popcorn and soft drinks for an advantageous viewing position seems to be frowned on. So was holding up placards numbered 1-10

Good thing they didn't complain about your cameras.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

I hope they are at least H.S. Seniors.

Comment

LOL They really do use the tramp all the time in the summer. You just get used to it but I do have to admit being distracted once or twice when they were jumping in halters and gym shorts. Oh well, life goes on.

And no, I don't camp out to watch them, and not just because their brother is an Army Ranger with three tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. They're nice girls..
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Anybody know David Brandon's university email address?

Comment

reality_challenged_bean_counter@umich.edu
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

How did you know that?
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

his phone
                Dave Brandon Director of Athletics 734-764-9416Looking at other U-M staff I would try dbrandon@umich.edu
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

I'm surprised this is not "another insidious American plot".

President Hugo Chávez said it was a “monstrous thing” that poor women were facing pressure to put plastic surgery ahead of household expenses.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

IDK, if the Misc. thread is for all topics but.... I switched to Direct TV this past summer and am so annoyed at how long it takes for the system to switch stations. As I recalled, with Dish, the channel changes were significantly quicker. Is slow(er) channel switching the norm. Has anyone found a way to increase the channel switching speed?

I was also annoyed with the 30 second advance, particularly when watching football. I hated watching the picture fast forward. However, I did discover, or rather the Direct TV tech discovered, that there is a fix for that that pretty much fast forwards the 30 seconds instantly.

Comment

You can increase your channel switching speed if you disable the "native resolution" feature. When it's on, the receiver seeks out the proper display setting (1080, 720, etc) based on the broadcast and adjusts your picture. If you don't want it to do that, turn it off, and your switch speed may increase a bit. I'm not sure how much, but it should help a bit. Probably will never be as fast as cable, but it's worth a shot.

You can access it under Parental, Fav's & Setup - System Setup - HDTV - Video. then turn Native "off". Hope it helps.

Comment

techno-geeks ....

Comment

Thanks liney. I gave it a try but then the screen resolutions or how the picture appeared on the screen was funky for many programs as it could not display in the proper format. In that instance, it seems to be one step forward, two steps back. But, thanks again.

Comment

It wasn't me that helped you, Mac. It was my good friend Jon, the techno-geek. I was giving him some crap ...

Comment

Ooops. Thanks Sean.

Comment

I hadn't heard this story before today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Players-chip-in-to-save-coach-8217-s-life-after?urn=nba-wp184

Seven years ago, former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and the ensuing aftermath will change the way you feel about several NBA types significantly.

Up until Tuesday afternoon, the only functional knowledge I had of former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was that he was, in fact, a former Los Angeles Clippers head coach, and that he once touched his elbows on the rim in a lay-up line at a high school tournament in Illinois, which really impressed my father.

Beyond that, nothing. Until Tuesday afternoon, when Howard Beck brought this column to Trey Kerby's attention, and he brought it to our attention. And now we're passing the feel-good savings on to you, in the form of an anecdote that reveals that NBA players Corey Maggette, Marko Jaric, Chris Kaman and Elton Brand all chipped in to pay for expensive life-saving surgery for Hughes, after the Clippers organization (read: Donald Sterling, noted worst person in the world) declined to cover the costs.

Declined to cover the cost of a surgery that would save their employee's life. While playing rent-free in an often sold-out arena in America's second-biggest television market. Unyieldingly evil.

Gary Woelfel has the original story:

"Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.

"It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."

Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.

Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.

"Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, 'Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'

No, you're good, Corey Maggette. You're pretty fantastically good. And so are you, Marko Jaric, Elton Brand, and Chris Kaman.

And Donald Sterling? You remain a terrible, terrible person.

Original story

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/article_efc79902-4ebd-11e0-8c1b-001cc4c002e0.html

Kim Hughes was in trouble, more trouble than he ever envisioned.

While working as an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers seven years ago, Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

But Hughes was told not to worry. His doctor assured him the cancer was slow growing and felt Hughes could wait several months before undergoing surgery.

But Hughes had an issue with that. The Clippers were about to go to training camp and Hughes, a basketball junkie with a voracious work ethic, didn't want to miss a day of work.

"My doctor told me he would do the surgery in a couple of months and then I'd be off my feet for a couple of months," said Hughes, who played at the University of Wisconsin. "He said, ‘You know this is major surgery.' "

Hughes confided in Mike Dunleavy, then the Clippers head coach, about his dilemma. Dunleavy suggested Hughes consult with another doctor he knew and perhaps Hughes' surgery could be sooner.

Dunleavy's suggestion paid off. Hughes' new doctor, Stuart Holden, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was receptive to doing the surgery the following week.

But then Hughes encountered yet another major obstacle.

"I contacted the Clippers about medical coverage and they said the surgery wouldn't be covered," Hughes said. "I said, ‘Are you kidding me?' And they said if they did it for one person, they'd have to do for everybody else."

When Dunleavy learned the Clippers wouldn't cover the cost of Hughes' surgery, he mentioned it to his players.

Several of them, including now Milwaukee Bucks forward Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Marko Jaric, were taken aback by the news and decided to offer their assistance.

"Kim was one of our coaches and he's a really good friend of mine, too," Maggette said. "He was in a situation where the Clippers' medical coverage wouldn't cover his surgery. I thought it was a great opportunity to help someone in need, to do something that Christ would do.

"It shows your humanity, that you care for other people and not just yourself. Kim was in a life-and-death situation."

It was indeed a dicey time for Hughes. After a biopsy was taken, he learned his prostate cancer was much worse than he believed.

The cancer had quickly spread and was on the brink of moving to other areas of his body.

If Hughes had delayed the surgery, and if Maggette and his teammates hadn't provided the necessary financial assistance, Hughes doesn't know what would have occurred.

Well, actually, he does.

"Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.

"It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."

Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.

Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.

"Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, ‘Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'

"It just shows you what kind of person he is, to keep thanking me all the time for that. Like I said, it was just my time to serve another human being.

"I think if anyone on my team is in that kind of situation, I would try to help him out if I could. That's just the person I am. I was raised that way."

Hughes said Maggette's concern and generosity illustrate how sometimes people erroneously perceive others.

"Corey is perceived by some people as not being a good person because he seems to be aloof and arrogant," Hughes said. "But they don't know him. He's a good man; he's a great man.

"You can have all the money, all the success, all that stuff, all those so-called important things in life, but in the end, you're judged by what you did for your fellow man. Corey will always be an important part of my life. What he and those other guys did for me put things in perspective.''
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X