Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silva has high hopes for Husker pitching staff

By KEN HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Changeups. Fastball control. Strikes.

Ted Silva has a simple philosophy about pitching. Do all of the above and the new Husker baseball pitching coach will be happy.

Silva, who coached at UC Irvine and Loyola Marymount before joining Darin Erstad's staff last summer, finds himself doing more tinkering than remaking the NU pitching staff.

"We have a bit of a different approach," Silva said. "Slight adjustments and constant checking on ‘How does that feel?' is what I'm doing right now."

Erstad said at a recent news conference that he'd probably give a high-five to any pitcher who gives up 12 straight hits, even 12 straight home runs.

"That means he's throwing strikes and it's hard to give up that many hits in a row," Erstad said.

Silva agreed, to an extent.

"You're going to have bad days and I've been in those shoes, but if you want the ball on the mound, no matter what's going on, I might give you a high-five, too," Silva said.

The Husker pitching staff returns Jon Keller, Tom Lemke and Tyler Niederklein as key starters from last year and a foursome of veterans -- Zach Hirsch, Tyler King, Brandon Pierce and Dylan Vogt. Add three freshmen, including Kyle Kubat from Creighton Prep, and a junior college transfer and the race is on starting Friday in Peoria, Ariz., for a three-game series against Gonzaga.

Hirsch, Keller and Kubat will start the three-game series this weekend.

"We have studied the whole approach to pitching: situational pitching, what pitch to throw in the count, what pitch with runners on, and getting pitchers ready to pitch," Silva said.

"As Coach Erstad has said, we have a lean team, some might even say skinny, but we have a team that has remade itself through the weight room and nutrition and individual work," Silva said. "I believe we have people who can pitch and be ready the next day because they are in great shape."

Silva also said a number of pitchers have "made it hard to keep off the mound," including Ryan Hander, juco transfer Travis Huber, Keller, King, Pierce, Vogt and Niederklein.

The top returning starter, Niederklein, has been moved to closer. The junior from Millard West has the best arm, the best glove and throws hard, Silva said.

"Starting as a closer boils down to finding a rhythm and taking charge as soon as they hand you the ball," Niederklein said. "I love the role. It's exciting. Look at guys in the majors, like Brian Wilson of the Giants. Everybody stops and looks when he's on the mound."

Niederklein said the biggest change with Silva as pitching coach is that every pitcher will be working to throw a changeup at any time, any count.

"How you throw the changeup, how you sell it -- make it look like you're throwing a fastball with your body movement, is what it's all about," he said. "Whatever is comfortable for your grip works. The idea is that it will look the same as a fastball when you throw it and catch the batter with the off-speed."

Niederklein, who pitched in the Northwoods League in Minnesota last summer, said he's impressed with the Husker pitching staff.

"We're all excited to play somebody with a different color uniform and different face after fall ball when we see each other all the time.

"I think the whole attitude around here is excitement about getting out there and playing and see what we've got and where we're at for the start of the season. We could surprise a lot of people."
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• http://www.omaha.com/article/20120215/BIGRED/702159805/-1#shatel-erstad-ready-to-load-up-nonconference-play

Comment

• The first stop: Just down the street. Dad's old stomping grounds.

After that? Well, that's the adventure of being recruited. You can never be sure where that road might take you.

But here is what Josh Banderas does know: He's looking forward to Saturday. The Super-State linebacker from Lincoln Southwest will be one of close to 20 recruits who figure to attend the Nebraska football program's junior day.

"It's a chance to kind of size myself up to everybody that's going to be there," Banderas said. "You meet some of the players, look at them and see if, ‘Yeah, I can play with these guys.'"

Banderas.

Name rings familiar, doesn't it?

It's because that name once scored touchdowns for Nebraska.

Josh's dad, Tom Banderas, was a tight end for the Huskers from 1985-87. He caught 16 passes. Ten of those were touchdowns.

Now Josh is making his own commotion on the football field. See last fall when Banderas had 124 tackles, 4 ? sacks and three interceptions for the Silver Hawks.

His coach, Mark King, has called him an eraser. As in: "He erased other guys' mistakes."

"The biggest thing is he's starting to become a leader," said King, who plans on also using Banderas some as a fullback this fall. "He's not just doing it for himself. He's starting to take over and gain that leadership quality."

Banderas followed up the successes of the past season by attending the U.S. Army Junior Combine in San Antonio in early January. He made a big enough impression there that Rivals.com ranked the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Banderas among its top 250 recruits in the 2013 class.

"There were a lot of the top D-1 prospects there," Banderas said. "To be able to play against them and compare myself to that caliber of athlete was nice. It kind of got my name out there a little more."

So far he has a lone offer from Tulsa, but he's hoping the combine performance might soon lead to more, including a possible offer from Nebraska.

"I'm a Nebraska kid, my dad played for Nebraska, I've grown up wearing a Nebraska jersey around my yard," Banderas said.

That's not to say Banderas won't keep his options open during the recruiting process.

"As you start to see interest from different colleges, it's cool to think that, 'Hey, I don't have to go to any one school. I can go play where I want,'" he said.

Before the process is over, Banderas is hopeful to at least attend the Husker and Ohio State summer camps.

Wherever the process takes him, it helps when you have strong encouragement from Dad.

"He just wants me to get the full experience," Banderas said. "You only get one time to experience recruiting."

Other known Nebraska prep athletes who plan on attending Saturday's junior day include Lincoln Southeast's Landon Kubicek (offensive line), Najee Jackson (athlete) and Devin Washington (running back), McCook's Jake Schlager (linebacker), and Lincoln North Star's Michael Minter Jr. (running back/defensive back).

As with Banderas, the Minter name strikes a chord with Husker fans.

The elder Mike Minter not only was a key part of two national championship Husker teams in 1994 and 1995, but also played 10 years in the NFL as a safety for the Carolina Panthers.

Now his son has attracted the attention of some noteworthy programs after running for more than 1,700 yards as a running back, and picking off five passes as a defensive back for North Star last fall.

Listed at 6-1, 170 pounds last fall, Minter Jr. said he wants to continue to bulk up. But even at his current size, North Star coach Mark Waller said Minter's physicality makes an impression on those who see him play.

"He's a young man that doesn't weigh a lot but brings a lot to the game in terms of toughness and aggressiveness," Waller said. "I know that's what Nebraska likes about him."

South Carolina, Purdue and Kansas have already offered Minter, and the recruit said Oregon and Tennessee have also shown strong interest.

But it's the school he plans to visit Saturday that seems to excite him above the rest.

"I'm excited for this," Minter said of weekend ahead. "To be honest, if they did offer me, I would probably commit."

Reach Brian Christopherson at bchristopherson@journalstar.com

Post Extras: * * *

Comment

• The Nebraska baseball team will have 10 of its games broadcast on television this season.

The Big Ten Network (Time Warner Cable 24, HD 1333) will show Nebraska's Big Ten opener against Illinois on March 23. BTN will also show Nebraska games against Creighton, Purdue and Indiana.

NET1 (Channel 12) will carry seven games, including a pair of games against Creighton at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

The Huskers' four appearances on BTN are tied for the most in the conference, as Michigan State, Minnesota and Michigan all will also have four games on the network.

Following the announcement by the Big Ten Network, NET was able to announce its broadcast lineup. NET has permission from BTN to broadcast four games at Haymarket Park.

The Huskers' 10 appearances on TV in 2012 are two more then they had in 2011. A year ago, the Huskers were seen on TV eight times, including three appearances on NET, two on CBS College Sports, two on Fox College Sports and once on ESPNU.

2012 Nebraska baseball TV schedule

March 23 vs. Illinois, 6:30 p.m. (BTN)

April 6 vs. Iowa, 6:30 p.m. (NET1)

April 10 vs. Creighton, 6:30 p.m. (BTN)

April 20 vs. Purdue, 6:30 p.m. (BTN)

April 24 at Creighton, 6:30 p.m. (NET1)

April 28 vs. Cal State Bakersfield, 2 p.m. (NET1)

May 6 at Indiana, 11 a.m. (BTN)

May 8 at Creighton, 7 p.m. (NET1)

May 11 vs. Minnesota, 6:30 p.m. (NET1)

May 15 vs. Wichita State, 6:30 p.m. (NET1)

Comment

• Darin Erstad looks like a great hire for your Baseball Program, Ent---not only is he saying all the right things, he lived it while in the Bigs himself; I remember him as a hard-nosed competitor all the way!

Comment

• they've started off 0-2, losing the leads in both late in the game (8th in the first, 9th in the 2nd), but they seem to be playing hard... very blue collar like. They pressure the defense with base running, focus on advancing runners and make pitchers throw strikes. I think we might have a weakness in relief, but it's early. Some of Nebraska's best teams started out slow.

but I agree, so far, he's saying the right things and that is a great start.

Comment

• How'd you guys do in the Big XII? Middle of the pack typically?

B10 baseball is awful as most the talent is in the south due to the ability to play 365 days a year. With partial scholarships, (something like 11.7 scholarships for ~27 roster spots, allowed upto 35 on roster for walk-ons) it means most your kids are on partial scholarships or walk-ons. B10 programs are at a huge disadvantage getting kids from the south to come to a B10 university and pay out-of-state tuition. The longer the 'south' keeps this advantage, the more lopsided it'll become as the southern schools get more and more advantage from 'tradition'...

Title IX shit on B10 baseball.

Comment

• wm... When van horn was our coach, Nebraska dominated the Big12. With Anderson in charge, it was a slow spiral to the bottom. He went from winning a game in the college world series to finishing last in the conference.

With UNLs tradition, facilities and fan support, they should be at the top of the BIG each year. I think we have the coach to do it.

Comment

• Btw... uNL was up 4-2 going into the 9th and lost 5-4

So they are now 0-3

Comment

• Going to take some time to repair the damage Anderson did. This was a truly poor baseball program the past couple years...pitching, hitting, defense...all were bad.

Its such a shame considering where we were when Van Horn left. All that work and progress wasted.

Comment

• Sipple

Things I know and think I know:

-- Embattled Illinois basketball coach Bruce Weber last week lamented his team's lack of toughness. He said he essentially failed to recruit enough toughness. It's a glaring issue.

Which made me wonder: How does a coach measure toughness during the recruiting process?

I asked a local expert.

"Part of it is simply finding guys who do things the right way," Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini said Tuesday. "You also look for guys who step up in big parts of the game, and guys who handle adversity."

A coach can glean plenty about a player from watching a game. It's common-sense stuff. But that's just one part of the process. Pelini said coaches talk to a prospect's teachers, counselors, coaches … even opposing coaches.

"You have to do your homework, and you have to be a good listener," he said. "But you also have to ask the right questions."

To that end, Pelini has enlisted help from an outside firm of research professionals to help his staff's efficiency in the recruiting process. It's his first go-round with such a method.

"They're working to help us to not only ask the right questions, but teach us what to listen for when we ask the questions and get more insight in the limited amount of time we're with recruits," he said.

"The most important part of it is knowing what key words and what reactions to assess as you're asking the questions," he added.

In recruiting, time is of the essence.

"Especially since most of the kids we recruit are thousands of miles away, so you obviously have a more limited access to them," he said. "It's not like you're in front of them a lot. They don't have a chance to get on your campus a lot."

In other words, Nebraska isn't like, say, Michigan -- which already has 11 verbal commitments for its class of 2013, including five in-state players, three from Ohio and two from Illinois.

I think it can be dicey accepting too many verbal commitments this early in the process, in part because assessing a player's toughness often takes more time.

"Mental toughness is a little bit harder to judge (than physical toughness)," Pelini said. "But that's also something you can help develop once a player is in your program. It's something you often have to develop."

I'm guessing Weber would agree wholeheartedly. His team has ample talent but has lost nine of its last 10 games.

-- Michigan's momentum from an 11-2 record last season, including a Sugar Bowl victory, obviously carried into recruiting.

As for those 11 verbal commitments, it's unfair to compare the Wolverines' total to NU's, if only because of the proximity of UM's commitments to its campus. Nebraska, which has one verbal commitment for 2013, obviously lacks the luxury of securing 11 players from its back yard.

-- It isn't Pelini's style to put a hard sell on recruits. He's not the pushy type. He has patience with the process. That said, he hopes NU is about halfway finished with its 2013 class by summer's end. Recruiting experts project the class to end up with about 24 players.

"At the end of the day, I would love to have 10 to 12 (commitments) going into the season," Pelini said. "If we have more than that, that would be great. You just never know.

"The spring game will be big. If we get a bunch of guys to come to the spring game, that gives us a pretty good opportunity."

-- Pelini played down the drama between new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer and some of his Big Ten Conference coaching brethren, most notably Wisconsin's Bret Bielema.

Bielema criticized Meyer, cautioning that the Big Ten does not want to become a northern version of the SEC and its notoriously repulsive recruiting tactics. Meyer formerly coached at Florida.

"In the recruiting process, things often get turned and twisted," said Pelini, who was among Big Ten coaches who gathered earlier this month for a meeting in Chicago, where Bielema's comments were discussed. "I think everybody was on the same page when they walked out of the meeting."

Kudos to Bo for being politically correct. If I were a Big Ten coach, I'd watch Meyer closely. Just sayin'.

-- By the way, Pelini's philosophy on recruiting players who are verbally committed to other schools jibes with Meyer's philosophy (and that of most coaches, I'm guessing). "I'll continue to recruit them," Bo said. "Until they sign on the dotted line, we're going to recruit them."

Comment

• Samuel McKewon @swmckewonOWH

Nebraska's final opponent for 2012 football schedule is set: Idaho State. #huskers

Samuel McKewon@swmckewonOWHReply
                          Nebraska adds Florida Atlantic (2014), BYU (2015) and South Alabama (2015, 2019) to schedule, as well. #huskers

Comment

• P U
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• The BYU Cougars will travel to face the Nebraska Cornhuskers in 2015, the schools have announced.

BYU and Nebraska will square off at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln on Sept. 5, 2015. The game will mark the first ever meeting between the two schools.

?This is a great opportunity to play an outstanding football team in one of the storied football stadiums in the country,? said BYU AD Tom Holmoe. ?Nebraska was looking for a game in 2015 and the timing was good for BYU. I look forward to developing a long term relationship with Nebraska.?

BYU now has five games scheduled for the 2015 season. After opening at Nebraska, the Cougars will host Boise State on Sept. 12. BYU also hosts Utah State on Fri., Oct. 2 and then travels to Southern Miss on Oct. 17 and Hawaii on Nov. 7.

After hosting BYU, the Cornhuskers welcome South Alabama on Sept. 12 before traveling to face Miami (FL) on Sept. 19. Nebraska?s final non-conference game of 2015 is at home against Southern Miss on Sept. 26.

Comment

• Nebraska is filling in the cupcake portion of their schedule now.. excluding BYU of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X