• Show
Clear All

• Having BYU, Southern Miss, and Miami in 2015 is pretty solid

Comment

• There's more than corn and plains and grasslands in Nebraska:

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ap1MH.u3iq...213957054.html

They grow nuts there, too!

Comment

• she figured some idiot in Iowa would buy it..
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• The Nebraska baseball team made more mistakes than anybody would have expected in losing three games to Gonzaga last week.

"We'll learn from the mistakes and move on," first-year Husker coach Darin Erstad said. "One thing is, our guys played hard. We were behind the eight ball a few times and came back and fought to put ourselves in position to win. We didn't get it done. But you do that enough, you'll get wins."

The Huskers have four chances this weekend in the Kleberg Bank College Classic in Corpus Christi, Texas. Nebraska (0-3) faces Utah (1-3) on Friday at 2 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. NU then faces Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (4-1) at 7 p.m. on Saturday and UNLV on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Erstad believes that one big hit, one big play, will help build momentum.

"Our players want to believe, but do they really believe?" he said. "We hope so. We made mistakes, and that's on us coaches. We'll be fine this weekend."

Freshman starter Kyle Kubat, who pitched five scoreless innings in a start last Sunday, is a believer.

The left-hander from Creighton Prep will follow a starting rotation of Zach Hirsch on Friday, and Jon Keller and Tom Lemke on Saturday.

He was the most effective pitcher last weekend, when NU twice blew ninth-inning leads.

"We all had nerves," Kubat said. "I know I did. It's nothing like high school. It's so exhilarating. Deep breaths. Relax. Get back in the mind-set, and don't get overwhelmed by the surroundings.

"I think the first pitch I threw was a strike. I didn't really see it all the way," he said. "I had to remind myself, it's still 60 feet, 6 inches. It's baseball."

Kubat said he settled down after getting the first batter out but didn't feel comfortable until the third inning.

"You get in a groove after you get out of a couple of tough situations and there's a lull in your emotions and you just pitch."

Kubat scattered seven hits, walked three and struck out one. The two-time Journal Star all-state pitcher said he counts on everybody on the team and his coaches to help critique his pitching.

"I'm my own worst critic, and I know I had my fastball up in the zone too much and wasn't just letting my arm follow through," he said. "I had to be putting up zeroes on the scoreboard and I did, but I appreciate all the help behind me. Eventually, I hope to earn their trust and they feel comfortable playing behind me."

Asked about his young pitcher's emotions, Erstad laughed and said, "He's left-handed. Those guys don't have nerves. He'll be fine."

Kubat acknowledged the stereotype.

"I'm just a weird, old lefty. Only throws 83 mph or whatever. But I know if I throw strikes I get guys out," he said.

PITCHING LINEUPS

Friday: NU's Zach Hirsch, LHP (0-0, 3.86) vs. Utah's Zach Adams, RHP (0-0).

Saturday: NU's Jon Keller, RHP (0-0, 5.08) vs. Utah's Ben Mordini RHP (0-1).

Saturday: NU's Tom Lemke, RHP (0.00) vs. TBA.

Sunday: NU's Kyle Kubat LHP, (0-0, 0.00) vs. UNLV's Erick Fedde, RHP (0-0).

Comment

• the OWH really hates bo if they're publishing this:

Bo Pelini won't fight ticket

By Leslie Reed
            WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
            ? Sports - Big Red Today

Related News

? NU schedules doormat, giant-...
            ? Huskers finalize 2012 schedule,...

LINCOLN — He'll argue with a referee over a bad call, but Husker Football Coach Bo Pelini apparently decided not to argue with Lincoln police over an August traffic ticket for running a stop sign.

Pelini had been scheduled to go to trial Thursday over the ticket he received on Aug. 28 at a stop sign at 23rd and Q Streets in Lincoln. It carried a $75 fine plus $48 court costs.
            Advertisement

Pelini agreed to pay that fine Thursday, despite pleading not guilty to the citation in December and getting his trial date postponed four times.

Pelini was not available for comment about why he considered challenging the ticket. The traffic stop occurred at an oddly marked intersection, where motorists encounter the actual stop sign some distance before a stopping line painted on the street.

Comment

• I thought it looked like Talent's liver.

Comment

• Barfknecht: Criticism in letter nothing original

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Thanks for your readership of The World-Herald sports section. Thanks for buying a full-page advertisement on the back of the Sunday sports section. We appreciate your business.

And thanks, especially, for being passionate enough about Husker hoops to shine another light on this program that seems perpetually darkened by mediocrity.

More questions need to be asked about Nebraska basketball, which soon will finish 62 years without a conference title, 13 years without an NBA draft pick and 14 years without an NCAA tournament bid.

Just two concerns here about your ad chastising the university's commitment— a word you used 11 times.

First, your letter is addressed to the wrong three people. It should have gone to Chancellor Harvey Perlman, Athletic Director Tom Osborne and Associate A.D. in charge of basketball Marc Boehm.

Secondly, Neal, you are tardy to the party.

A year ago, in what is known as "the Shim-Sham column," I used the halftime performance of a skimpily-dressed elderly dance team as a symbol of how tone-deaf Nebraska's administration has been toward the style and substance of men's basketball.

Durable mediocrity. Lack of innovation. Pedestrian history of a laggard program. And that was me trying to be nice.

Two years ago, World-Herald readers saw our story detailing where Nebraska ranked in the Big 12 in terms of money spent on basketball and the head coach's salary. At the time, NU was 10th in spending and Doc Sadler was 10th in salary.

Last year, we did a story on where NU would fall in the Big Ten as it entered the league. At the time, NU would have been last in spending and Sadler would have been second to last in salary.

Sadler is still believed to be 11th in the Big Ten, ahead of only first-year Penn State coach Patrick Chambers. PSU has exemptions from state law in providing salary details.

You have a big chart of numbers in your ad. The point you wanted to make by looking at Big Ten basketball expenses is accurate — Nebraska is last in spending.

But there is a significant error in the table. No way is Northwestern, which has never made the NCAA tournament, first in the Big Ten and fourth nationally in spending. If that were true, a whole bunch of people there need to be fired.

Northwestern actually is 11th in the Big Ten and in the mid-60s nationally at $4.58 million in the 2010-11 fiscal year, not $10 million.

The bottom three: Nebraska ($4.34 million), Northwestern ($4.58 million) and Penn State ($4.85 million). Those schools have a combined NCAA tournament victory total — all from PSU — of nine.

The Big Ten's top three spenders in fiscal year 2010-11 were Michigan State ($9.26 million), Indiana ($7.95 million) and Wisconsin ($6.39 million). Their combined NCAA tourney win total is 135.

Sadly, none of this is news. Nebraska has been behind in facilities, spending, salaries and the "care factor'' for decades.

I first covered the team at the Daily Nebraskan in the late 1970s with Joe Cipriano. My time on the beat at The World-Herald started in 1985 with Moe Iba.

On through Danny Nee, Barry Collier and Sadler, our columnists and I have written multiple times about how low Nebraska basketball ranks in the pecking order nationally, in its conference and in its own athletic department.

Another point: Your ad says Sadler doesn't have what he needs to do his job.

That's a question we've asked Sadler many times, and his reply on the record is always the same: "This university has given me everything I need to succeed.''

Politically correct? Absolutely. Intellectually honest at a school that has issues on this topic? Not at all.

The evidence on trailing the competition on many fronts isn't hard to find. To wit: two years ago, Nebraska's three full-time assistants were paid a combined $379,000. Kansas State, in the midst of a turnaround after a 10-year slide, paid a single assistant $420,000.

That salary discrepancy isn't all on the school, by the way. Sadler needs to prove he can hire recruiters worth that kind of dough. The results so far show he can't.

We'll close with this thought:

Boehm is Nebraska's executive associate athletic director, who the press guide describes as "the primary administrator for the NU basketball programs." His salary is $192,747.

This is Boehm's ninth season overseeing the program. In that time, Nebraska has:

• Zero NCAA tournament appearances and zero NBA draft picks.

• One top-half-of-the-league finish, and that was sixth in the Big 12 in 2005-06 with a losing record (7-9).

• Three NIT victories.

For a donor like you, Neal, who gave enough to get your name attached to the Husker players lounge, this could be worth another ad analyzing Nebraska's bang for its basketball buck.

Contact the writer:

402-444-1024, lee.barfknecht@owh.com

Comment

• Hawks is the son of one of UNL's largets boosters..ever. He has buildings named after him. He took out a one page add in the OWH stating that Neb's HC isn't the problem, its lack of investment....

in other words, UNL doesn't care about basketball. Frankly, he's right. UNL has to invest and will now have to pay for years of neglect. In fact, they'll have to over pay.

Comment

• ..chart Hawks used. The exact figure Hawks quoted as Northwestern basketball expenses was actual under the heading of basketball revenue.

Comment

• OlieO's football expenses must include that $10mil in bribes and payoffs.
                      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Lincoln, Neb.- The Nebraska women's track and field team completed the 2012 Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships in historic fashion with a 114.50-106 win over defending champion Ohio State. The 2012 Championship makes the Huskers back-to-back indoor conference champions as they captured the Big 12 Indoor Conference Championship in 2011. Producing three individual champions during the two-day meet, the Husker women earned the second Big Ten title in school history and the first team title for the track and field program.

Comment

• Lincoln - Freshman Emily Cady tied her career high with 24 points to power the No. 23 Nebraska women's basketball team to a 71-57 victory over No. 8 Ohio State in the Huskers' home finale Sunday.

if it wasn't for the 3 game skid where UNL couldn't hit a three... but it is a very young team with a bright future.

Comment

• Corpus Christi, Texas - The Nebraska bullpen threw six innings of shutout baseball and Chad Christensen blasted a two-out two-RBI double in the top of the ninth inning to propel Head Coach Darin Erstad's Huskers to a 8-7 win over the UNLV Rebels in the first ever meeting between the two programs. The Huskers end the weekend with a perfect 4-0 record and improved to 4-3 on the year, as the NU offense scored 35 runs on 54 hits over three days at Whataburger Field.

Comment

• I had no idea Ohio spends so much more on football than we do (and everyone else in B1G).

How does Ohio's budget compare with the SEC football team expenses?

Comment

Working...
                                X