No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the website of the Documentary on Nebraska fans, Through These Gates, what your donations to the project will get you:

Pledge $500 or more:

'The directors mom will make you a husker blanket and send it with a note thanking you for helping her son make his film and your name will be placed on the Special Thanks page of the website.'

many times people think the experience opposing players, coaches and fans have in lincoln is bs.. it's fiction.. it's a myth based upon a pass. It's not. We, at our core, love CF and celebrating CF with others.
    Are you going to get your donation in, Ent? The website gives an estimated delivery date of Oct. 2012, the Michigan @ Nebraska game is 10/27/12, and the director's mom needs some gainful employment, as (according to the website) nobody has stepped up with that large of a donation yet.

Anyway, I've yet to hear anything about bad experiences tailgating or at games with fans of the Cornhuskers. From what I hear, they're much like Iowa fans, passionate about their team but also friendly and polite to an extreme with rival fans (quite unlike the reputation of Penn St, ohio, and Illinois fans).
    I'm considering making the trip to Lincoln for that game, too, Ent---what's the best option, from your experiences, in obtaining tickets? I'm likely to need at least 3, maybe 4 or 5, as I'm waiting for the others that share my U of M tickets with me to make up their minds on whether to go. I know Stubhub will have tickets available (haven't checked availability yet, though), what kind of prices should I expect? We're willing to sit practically anywhere, as long as the price is reasonable, but wondering what section(s) UNL allots to opposing fans.

As it is, the game is still 7 1/2 months away, so we're just in the preliminary stage of planning for the drive there and back, the tailgating and game, and the rest of the details.

Comment

• Rumors circulating of a press conference scheduled for later today, to announce the overdue shitcanning of Doc Sadler.

Underwhelming replacement hire to named later.

Comment

• Rob..

If you're willing to sit almost anywhere, I'd buy online. 4-5 together will be tough, but 2-3 together shouldn't. The day of the game is a gamble, though I know some people prefer to do that. I think tickets for this game will be at a premium. IMO, it is the biggest game of the year in Lincoln. It will be an event and people will want to attend. I'd expect to pay double ticket value (between 100-120) to sit in the upper rows, at a minimum.

As for tailgating, if you don't crash ours, I'll hunt you down. So don't worry about what you're going to do the day of the game.. that includes drinks and food. you'll be guests, not co-planners.

Hotels will probably be the biggest issue. Lincoln will book up fast. Omaha is only 40mins away, so that isnt' bad. I'm not sure where you live, but I've driven from Plymouth to Lincoln in 11 hrs before. Flights to Omaha or even KC will be much cheaper than to Lincoln.

as you plan, think about coming out on Thursday... I am serious when I say we'll do a tour of campus and the facilities.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          Rumors circulating of a press conference scheduled for later today, to announce the overdue shitcanning of Doc Sadler.

Underwhelming replacement hire to named later.

I'm not sure who would want the UNL job. There is no history and more importantly, no history of investment. If UNL is serious about having a decent NCAA team, it'll need to over invest to make up for 80 yrs of not caring..

Comment

• INDIANAPOLIS — Tom Osborne walked away from the Nebraska basketball locker room, joked with a security guard about keeping a couple of reporters at arm's length, then kept on walking.

"I think we're all disappointed in the season," the Nebraska athletic director said.

That was Osborne's only comment when asked his thoughts on men's coach Doc Sadler following Nebraska's 79-61 loss to Purdue in Thursday night's opening round of the Big Ten Tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The loss completed a 12-18 season — Nebraska's second losing record in the last three seasons under Sadler, who's 101-89 in six seasons with no NCAA Tournament appearances, three NIT appearances and a pair of last-place conference finishes.

"We'll talk," Osborne said, before disappearing down a long corridor.

Perhaps that talk comes Friday, although Sadler, in a heartfelt, open sit-down with four reporters, said he's leaving town to recruit.

That's because Sadler has four years remaining on his contract — extended by two years after last season — and he has every intention of finishing them.

"I understand this business," Sadler said. "Coach Osborne has to do what he thinks is in the best interest of Nebraska basketball. And whatever that is, I am going to support him 100 percent.

"But I want people to know I've made a pretty big commitment in this deal, too."

Sadler said two years ago a school contacted Osborne saying it wanted to speak with Sadler about its coaching vacancy. Sadler wouldn't name the school, but said it would've doubled his salary.

"Coach asked me not to do it," Sadler said, "and I asked at that time, 'Coach you're asking me to commit to Nebraska. The only thing I'm asking you is, are you committed to me as your basketball coach?' And he said yes."

So Sadler didn't officially speak with the school. He said he's turned down two other opportunities, because he wasn't looking to leave.

"I came here six years ago, and if you remember what I said, this is where I wanted to end my career," Sadler said.

"I think we're right on target, guys. I know some of you guys might not think so, but let's be real. Going into this season, I was the all-time winningest coach in Nebraska history. All-time, after five years. So we've done some pretty good things."

Sadler, who's won the most games of any Nebraska coach in his first five seasons, had high aspirations for this season, what with a lineup of five seniors.

But one of those seniors, Andre Almeida, redshirted because of injury. And another player, junior Jorge Brian Diaz, missed 14 games because of injury, including the final nine of the season. Guard Ray Gallegos also redshirted.

"We just wasn't good enough to lose Almeida, Diaz and not have Gallegos. We just wasn't good enough," Sadler said. "I'm looking forward getting to work Monday with these guys. Almeida and Diaz are both working hard. Gallegos has had a good (redshirt) season."

And if Sadler isn't the coach come Monday?

No ill feelings. No feeling of resentment.

"I told Coach after the game, I am very, very, very at peace with myself, with our team's effort, but I realize we just weren't good enough," Sadler said. "But I'm at peace with that. Because I know why."

Three-pointers, scoring drought doom Huskers

Five Purdue players scored in double figures, and the Boilermakers made 13 three-pointers in an 18-point victory against Nebraska.

In other words, a carbon copy of Purdue's Feb. 22 victory against Nebraska, when the Boilermakers were 13-of-29 on threes in an 83-65 victory.

This time, Anthony Johnson scored a team-high 17 points, as Purdue was 13-of-25 on three-pointers. That's 48.1 percent shooting on three-pointers in two games against Nebraska.

Bo Spencer scored 22 points, including a layup with 14:40 remaining in the first half for a 12-8 Nebraska lead. But the Huskers went scoreless over the next 7:47, while Purdue went on a 15-0 run.

Nebraska, playing in special throwback uniforms replicating ones worn in the 1949-50 season, cut the deficit to eight by halftime, and to four points early in the second half. But Purdue heated up again from long range to pull away.

Toney McCray added 13 points, and Dylan Talley had 10 for Nebraska.

Comment

• "I came here six years ago, and if you remember what I said, this is where I wanted to end my career," Sadler said.
              You are definitely making progress toward that goal Doc!

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                I'm not sure who would want the UNL job. There is no history and more importantly, no history of investment. If UNL is serious about having a decent NCAA team, it'll need to over invest to make up for 80 yrs of not caring..
                There is no question we need to be prepared to overpay...but then we already are on pretty much every front. Of course that is not in the hiring phase, but only after mediocrity has been established.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Rob..

If you're willing to sit almost anywhere, I'd buy online. 4-5 together will be tough, but 2-3 together shouldn't. The day of the game is a gamble, though I know some people prefer to do that. I think tickets for this game will be at a premium. IMO, it is the biggest game of the year in Lincoln. It will be an event and people will want to attend. I'd expect to pay double ticket value (between 100-120) to sit in the upper rows, at a minimum.

As for tailgating, if you don't crash ours, I'll hunt you down. So don't worry about what you're going to do the day of the game.. that includes drinks and food. you'll be guests, not co-planners.

Hotels will probably be the biggest issue. Lincoln will book up fast. Omaha is only 40mins away, so that isnt' bad. I'm not sure where you live, but I've driven from Plymouth to Lincoln in 11 hrs before. Flights to Omaha or even KC will be much cheaper than to Lincoln.

as you plan, think about coming out on Thursday... I am serious when I say we'll do a tour of campus and the facilities.
                  I took a peek at what StubHub has available online, prices right now for the 370 seats available there start at $220 per ticket, with a few over a grand, so I'm going to have my buddy Mark check ticket availability directly thru the U of M Ticket Office (the tickets are in his name; he has some ticket priority built up due to donations, etc.) .

I would imagine that the price will drop on StubHub as more tickets become available, but I also think that demand will be high, so I plan on making sure I have tickets locked up well before the game.

If we do go, I WILL take you up on the offer of finding your tailgate party. Looks like George is already planning the same, and I'm willing to bet at least a few other present and former M-Borgers will also make the trip to Lincoln.

Thanks, Ent!

Comment

• BREAKING NEWS:

Here it is, Hoss and Ent

Nebraska has fired men's basketball coach Doc Sadler, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com Friday.

reportedly, Osborne holding a press conference as I type this

Comment

• it's official, TO has fired Sadler.

Comment

• conference live right now on BTN

Comment

• TO does have a way of putting things... Firing doc seems more like a retirement.

Comment

• a summary from another Nebraska fan

=================

Tom:

gambled on this being a good year but lost
                            might have been able to get more help sooner
                            My fault that things haven't gotten better
                            private aircraft for recruiting, gotten facilities done sooner maybe

Not doc's fault
                            lost momentum, enthusiasm.
                            like doc very much
                            will miss doc
                            will take care of assistant coaches
                            doc will be fine. I will help all our coaches.

fans aren't problem. fans showed up to support. need more success for a period of time. can be as good as football

Criteria for new coach
                            1) Need someone with integrity and academics
                            2) Someone who treats players well
                            3) Recruits hard
                            4) Someone who wins, do the little things right, winning will come

Experience matters but not required. Will look at assistant coaches but track records are hard to evaluate without comparable experience.

No formula--depends on the person and won't be a science to pick that person, will be an art.

No time frame. Probably after NCAA tournament.

prospects will like big 10 conference, will like our new facilities.

our tradition is mixed but doesn't subscribe to theory that nebraska is a football school. nebraska should be both.

upside is huge at nebraska. great opportunity for right man. it will be attractive but not for everyone.

no prescriptions on recruiting AAU recruiting or even on hiring AAU coaches. But you have to operate within the lines. Integrity. See #1 above, that is my number 1 criteria. Better graduate players, better do it right.

Tom now talking about Doc. Voice cracking and getting emotional, tearing up a bit. Can tell he really likes Doc. He says he will everything he can to help Doc.

Comment

• This past fall I was talking to some associates in the Athletic Department and they were saying hands down, Doc is the most well like guy in north stadium (that is the athletic offices).

I know Paul Meyer has told me that he's a great guy in the past as well

Comment

• Sadler's behavior both emotional and a little strange during his part of the press conference...

Comment

Working...
                                X