Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't.

Especially knowing that Wisconsin will not always be "up", and Nebraska will not always be "down". He may find himself in a situation where he will hope that the opposing coach will call off the dogs to save his team a bit of dignity.

Also, there's this thing called class ...
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Welcome to The Big Ten :-)

Comment

• Actually I am glad Nebraska is in the big ten with as bad as they look. The Big 12 looks like the toughest league and they would get worked.

In the end, and like I always have said, if your good, you are good, if not you are not
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I think Nebraska is better than they showed yesterday.

Wisconsin just has a very lethal combination right now, that's going to roll over a lot of other teams this year.

The only thing that can screw them up is their meathead coach.

Comment

• I think UNL has chemistry problems too... guys are tired of tmart having different rules, lots and lots of talk out of Lincoln about several of the younger stars want to transfer... And this was before the wispy game

After last night a player was tweeting ripping on other players..

Chemistry..

Nebraska will beat Minn, lose to MSU and Mich and the rest are toss ups.

Comment

• The below quote was hung in the Wisconsin coaches office...

Carl Pelini, Nebraska DC: "Are they ready for us?"

Comment

• Nebraska will beat Minn, lose to MSU and Mich and the rest are toss ups.
                I wouldn't come to that conclusion yet.

MSU is beatable, because they are .. well, .. MSU. A lot will depend on what attitude they take after the game with us. And, it really doesn't matter if they beat us or not. I've seen them "tank" the rest of the season, even when they beat us.

You'll have a good game with Iowa, .. and I'd rate Mich v Neb as a tossup.

You'll hammer Minny. Not sure what the rest of your schedule holds yet.

Comment

• i'd don't know, as much as I can't stand that ass, Dantonio, there hasn't been much "Sparty being Sparty" with him at the helm.

Comment

• Entropy:

What's the best way to get in touch with you? I should have my tickets in hand (-SU section -- and the "good" one--21) today. Despite the horrific abortion of an offense I'll be sure to endure, I'm still really looking forward to a gameday in Lincoln.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I will be in lot 6. I'll IM you my phone number, but in case I've had too much soda, lot 6... in the circle.

Comment

• Thanks.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Randy York:

Before everyone thinks Nebraska scored no wins in Madison, Wisconsin, over the weekend, let the record show there was one: A record crowd of 420 at Friday's South Union luncheon heard a legendary coach address a school and a team that wants to grow up and be just what Tom Osborne was for a quarter century and what Nebraska has been for a half century.

"Tom was great. He was at the top of his game, and you can tell that everyone respects him as the leader and Hall-of-Fame coach he is," said Barry Alvarez, a Hall-of-Fame coach himself before moving upstairs and becoming Wisconsin's athletic director.

A former Husker All-Big Eight linebacker, Alvarez is so popular that a sold-out crowd started chanting his name - "Bare-ee, Bare-ee, Bare-ee!" - when he was introduced as part of the pregame coin flip ceremony.

"People forget that the last game before Barry became our AD, Camp Randall was less than half full," a Wisconsin athletic department official told me Saturday. "He turned this program around, and our fans love him."

Just like Nebraska fans love Osborne.

Since Saturday was the first intersection in Nebraska's Big Ten Conference football history, Alvarez wanted a major draw from his alma mater to help Wisconsin kick off the new journey, and he thinks it's no coincidence that the Badger luncheon drew 50 more people than a previous luncheon record crowd that featured Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany.

Osborne did not disappoint, using his sharp sense of humor to warm the crowd and get the day's biggest laughs. One of his first remarks acknowledged how Wisconsin will be applauded next fall when the Badgers come to Lincoln and how that applause will grow even louder if Nebraska would happen to win. He also explained why Nebraska fans don't cheer the whole game like Wisconsin fans do. "The reason they don't," Osborne said, "is because they're old ... like me."

Lots of Laughs for a Lumbering Linebacker

Alvarez was almost set up as a roast instead of a toast to a new Big Ten era with his alma mater. Watching video of the interception he made and the 25-yard return that went with it when Nebraska beat Wisconsin handily in Camp Randall Stadium 45 years ago, luncheon emcee and Badger play-by-play man Matt Lepay asked for a slow-mo re-roll, so Osborne could offer his incisive analysis.

"I won't critique it," Osborne said, "but I'll tell what Bob Devaney, our head coach, did say about Barry on that play. He said: 'He's not very big, but he sure is slow.'" Barry laughed as loud as anyone the second the punch line was delivered and admitted he's often introduced with what he calls the "official" play-by-play that resulted from that interception: "Barry Alvarez intercepts the ball ... he's at the 50, he's at the 49, he's at the 48 ..."

Osborne reminded Alverez of some classic Bob Devaney-style humor when Nebraska's athletic director drew the loudest and longest roar of the luncheon. "Barry got hurt a lot at Nebraska, and I'll reflect on the time he was laying on the field and I asked him what was wrong with him," Osborne related.

"'When I push here, I get this terrible pain,' Alvarez said, pointing to his head. 'And when I push here, the pain is awful,' he said, pointing to his neck. 'And when I push here, it's excruciating,' he said, pointing to this chest." Osborne said he was worried because "I didn't know what excruciating was, so we got Barry on a stretcher and called an ambulance. Barry went straight to the hospital that day, and they found out what he had ... a broken finger."

Wisconsin Prof Praises Noble Husker Gesture

Laughter filled the room Friday, but few expected how broken Nebraska's heart would be Saturday night, so it seems appropriate to remind Husker fans how that luncheon ended - with a Wisconsin professor standing up and asking if he could make a comment instead of ask a question.

"I just want to tell Coach Osborne and reflect on the state of college football and why we're very proud to have Nebraska and you in the Big Ten Conference," the professor told the sold-out room. "I will always remember your team in the '84 Orange Bowl and how you went for two points against Miami. That was one of the greatest and noblest things I've ever seen."

With his usual grace, Osborne thanked the man and admitted the decision "probably wasn't all that great and maybe even stupid" because the Huskers probably would have won the national title by merely kicking the extra point and finishing the season as the nation's only unbeaten team.

At the same time, Osborne went on to explain why he's never believed in backing into a national championship as other programs have been content to do. "You win some, and you lose some," Osborne said.

Given the on-the-field result this weekend, Husker fans everywhere need to understand the sheer simplicity and truth of that statement ... today, tomorrow, and always.

Comment

• how bad is nebraska's defense this year...

These stats will change once we get further into conference play...but,

UNL is currently 11th in the Big Ten in scoring defense, only ahead of Minnesota who is beyond putrid.

UNL is 7th in total defense.

UNL is 8th in rushing defense.

UNL is 8th in pass defense.

UNL is 8th in passing efficiency defense.

UNL is next to last in turnover margin, again only ahead of Minnesota. That's lies at the feet of both sides of the ball.

UNL is tied with PSU at 7-8 in sacks.

UNL is dead last in tackles for loss.

Comment

• Ent, that's pretty cool that Neb's stadium is so close to the main academic buildings.
                              Athletic campus for M is a bit of a walk from where the learning happens.

Comment

• A 'city' kinda grew around the central UofM campus.

Comment

Working...
                                X