Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball team goes 1-2 vs Fresno State
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Brendon Stai? Nice
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I met Mike Rucker a few days ago. Seems like a great dude. I know his brother quite well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
          Brendon Stai? Nice

OL needs toughness. I'm hoping this helps

Comment

• some practice video on youtube..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1GHwueK2M"]YouTube - Husker Spring Practice 3/14/11[/ame]
            Last edited by entropy; March 15, 2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Can you Huskers do us Michigan fans a favor?

Can you make your uniforms a little less like OhNo State unis, .. and go with something more unique?

Thanks

Heh ..
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                Can you Huskers do us Michigan fans a favor?

Can you make your uniforms a little less like OhNo State unis, .. and go with something more unique?

Thanks

Heh ..

damn.. that was below the belt...
                Last edited by entropy; March 15, 2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• I don't think he meant to offend there entropy. Just joking that as a UofM fan he has an aversion to anything that resembles OSU.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                    I don't think he meant to offend there entropy. Just joking that as a UofM fan he has an aversion to anything that resembles OSU.

LOL.. I know. I couldn't think of anything witty, so I played victim.

Comment

• I imagine if the lions draft that CB from nebraska this thread could grow.

There are a few Cal fans that post in the lions area since drafting Best and Follett (I hope Cam Jordan too).
                      Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        LOL.. I know. I couldn't think of anything witty, so I played victim.
                        Oh yeah, I do that too

Actually I play the race card first... then I do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                          I imagine if the lions draft that CB from nebraska this thread could grow.

There are a few Cal fans that post in the lions area since drafting Best and Follett (I hope Cam Jordan too).

Maybe... they do have 3 huskers on the team already. I'm mostly here because I know several of these guys and I am a lions fan as well.

Comment

• http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205116700

Sadler Contract Extended; Walker Hoping ?Homecoming? Heals Husker Hearts

Jeter Named to USBWA All-District Team Huskers Look for Win No. 20 at Wichita State

Editor's Note: Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne announced on Tuesday that the contract of Nebraska Men's Head Basketball Coach Doc Sadler has been extended two years through the 2015-16 season. Osborne said: "Doc Sadler's contract has been extended through June 30, 2016. We are pleased with the job Doc has done. He does things the right way and operates his program with integrity. We feel that with the facility improvements we are making in basketball, and the players Doc has returning, the future of our men's basketball program looks bright."
                            Randy York's N-Sider

To "Respond to Randy" click the link below and choose "Randy York's N-Sider" under "Area of Interest". Please include your name and residence and comment on this column. Follow Randy on Twitter at www.twitter.com/RandyYorkNsiderCaleb Walkerhas never been one to wear his heart on his sleeve. Nebraska's 6-foot-4, 205-pound junior guard is considered a "quiet warrior" both on a basketball court and a football field.
                            But at 6 p.m. Wednesday night on ESPN2, Walker's private Kansas homecoming will be on national public display, so the Huskers' first-round National Invitation Tournament game at Wichita State University takes on extra-special meaning.
                            "I'll have a lot of family and friends there, but my heart will be focused on trying to get us a win because we had our hearts broken in Kansas City (at the Big 12 Championship), and now we have another chance in another tournament. Everybody has to step up and have the heart to want to do this, and we do."
                            Walker knows it won't be easy to win in Charles Koch Arena, located 35 miles from his "second hometown" of Hutchinson, Kan., but he intends to "lay everything on the line" in a facility that has produced some of his best games as a national junior college first-team All-American.
                            "I've played Region VI games there for Butler County Community College," he said. "It's always sold out ... loud ... very bright ... a great atmosphere to play in. It's going to be one of the toughest places to play. It's really tough. It really is."
                            Sounds just like a place that when the going gets tough, Caleb Walker and point guard Lance Jeter will get going. Both Husker junior college transfer starters seem to thrive on their physical and mental toughness, much of it, no doubt, honed by their football backgrounds.
                            Both Jeter and Walker Played College Football
                            Jeter was a scholarship football redshirt wide receiver at Cincinnati before switching sports and leveraging a stellar two-year basketball stint at Polk (Fla.) Community College into his scholarship at Nebraska.
                            Walker, a linebacker on four straight state championship football teams at Hutchinson (Kan.) High School, moved from Kansas City to Hutchinson when he was 13 to live with his father. He also played both football and basketball in his first year at nearby Butler CC before concentrating on basketball and earning his Husker scholarship. Interestingly, Walker helped lead Butler to a national junior college title on the gridiron before focusing solely on the hardwood as a sophomore.
                            "We have a lot of guys with a lot of heart at Nebraska," Walker said, repeating a theme that's obviously, well, deep in his heart. "Just because we didn't keep winning or make it to the NCAA Tournament doesn't mean we have to shut it down. We didn't just show up to practice Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We showed how much we want to keep playing. We didn't get what we wanted, but we got another chance, and we have to take advantage of that."
                            One of the biggest reasons Walker relishes that chance is to give Jeter a better exit to his college career than tripping in the lane while hoping to unleash a winning shot in Nebraska's 53-52 loss to Oklahoma State in Kansas City. The next day, the Cowboys replicated Nebraska's one-point fate in an eerily similar loss to top-seeded Kansas.
                            "We have multiple leaders on this team, but Lance Jeter is our main leader," Walker said. "This may be a homecoming for me, but it's not as big a deal as stretching the season out for our seniors and especially Lance. He deserves something special, too."
                            Jeter welcomes the support. "Playing Wichita State gives me another chance to play for my team, and I truly love to do that," he said. "Every chance I get to play with this team is something special."
                            Will Treat the NIT Challenge Like a Big 12 Game
                            If you want to know what motivates Jeter, this next sentence says it all. "We all definitely want to win this NIT game," Jeter said, "because we need to use this extra chance to get better, not just for this year, but for next year as well."
                            Spoken like a true team leader, not only a senior that leads the Huskers in scoring (11.6 ppg), but one who, in his last five games, is averaging 16.2 points, 6.8 rebounds and 5.2 assists.
                            "We're still real hungry," Jeter said. "I know Caleb is excited and pumped up to play in front of his family and friends, but he's a guy who would play his heart out no matter who's in the stands. We've talked among ourselves, and we're going to treat this NIT game like a Big 12 game. We need to come out and be ready to go. We want to win. Nobody's bored. Everyone wants to be here."
                            Walker, perhaps the most unsung player in the Huskers' starting lineup, is averaging a team-high 4.6 rebounds a game while usually facing the opponent's top perimeter threat on defense. While he only averages 6.2 points a game, he's shooting 51 percent from the field in Big 12 Conference games and has reached double scoring figures eight times this season.
                            Who knows? Maybe his familiarity with the Koch Arena will enable a greater burst of offense from Walker, who a year ago was named the NJCAA's Region VI Tournament MVP after posting a season-high 26 points and nine rebounds in the regional final that sent Butler CC into the national tournament in nearby Hutchinson.
                            "It's a big gym with a nice floor and nice, soft rims," Walker said of Koch Arena
                            "I've been to Hutch, and I've been to Wichita," Jeter said. "I know why it feels like home to Caleb. I felt the same way when I went there and was treated like family. I can't wait to play a great team in a great arena with a good crowd. We want to play there, and we want to win."
                            Richardson: Every Possession Will Count
                            Only two players on this Nebraska team have postseason experience - Toney McCray and Brandon Richardson, both of whom played in the Huskers' 83-71 NIT loss to New Mexico in Albuquerque two seasons ago.
                            "In a big game with a big crowd and a big-time atmosphere, every possession counts," Richardson said Monday. "You can't take any play off because that particular possession can determine the outcome of game. We have to be sound on offense and execute. We can't rush anything. We have to be patient and let the offense come. We need to get an inside-outside game going where the guards can get some shots and yet still get it inside to the bigs. The main thing is to trust each other. We may be playing in the NIT instead of the NCAA, but we want to keep playing, so we need to keep fighting, keep believing and make sure we don't leave the floor."
                            Brandon Ubelhopes to do whatever he can to help Walker's homecoming turn out better than his own "homecoming" last Wednesday in the Big 12 Conference Championship.
                            "Once the ball goes up in the air, all the homecoming thoughts go right out the window because all your focus is on the game," said Ubel, who scored 11 points and had a team-high six rebounds in the loss to Oklahoma State. He even scored seven straight points in the second half to help Nebraska overcome a 14-point first-half deficit.
                            "I was really motivated to go home and play, and it was probably one of my best games, if not the best," Ubel said. "We're all motivated, but I may have been extra-motivated last week, and I know Caleb will be, too, when he goes back to play in front of so many friends and family."
                            Ubel, a 51-percent field goal and a 79-percent free throw shooter this season, has been solid in the last four games, averaging 5.4 rebounds and 7.6 points a game. He had seven rebounds in 21 minutes against Kansas State and scored 11 points and snagged a career-high nine rebounds in the win over Missouri.
                            Win in Wichita Could Produce Interesting Matchup
                            "Playing at Wichita State will be a fun experience," Ubel said. "My parents will be there, and I have a cousin who goes to school there. It'll be a tough environment because they sell out virtually every game, but we still have something to play for. No one wants this season to end. We all want to go out on a good note, and we still have chance to do that."
                            Playing Wichita State gives Husker hearts a chance to heal, and a Nebraska win likely would produce a second-round NIT matchup that would send the Huskers to Virginia Tech, one of four No.1 seeds in the 32-team NIT Tournament. The Hokies beat No. 1 Duke, 64-60, in Blacksburg, Va., less than a week after the Huskers upset No. 3-Texas in Lincoln.
                            If such a matchup would materialize - and IF certainly deserves to be in capital letters here - Nebraska would need every football bone in Walker's and Jeter's bodies in that physical showdown in Blacksburg.
                            "You never want to end the way we ended the Big 12 Tournament, but I've learned and I've moved on," Jeter said. "It definitely hurt at that moment, but this is a new chapter. I'm moving forward, and I'm expecting everyone else on this team to do the same."
                            Respond to Randy

Comment

• Sometimes, you really miss home... Articles like this remind me of that.

http://www.maryvilledailyforum.com/features/x1777809654/JIM-FALL-What-is-it-about-folks-who-call-Nebraska-home

Maryville, Mo. — They say one of the first marks of encroaching senility is the tendency to repeat oneself.
                              I’ve been known to do that for quite some time now — I have one friend who’ll hold up an appropriate number of fingers to indicate the times he’s heard any particular story — but I am embarking on this topic fully aware that I’ve gone there before. Most recently, it was after going to Lincoln to see the Missouri Tigers get pounded by the Cornhuskers in what may well have been the finale of a long, if not always successful, football rivalry.

Well, another opportunity to visit Nebraska’s capital city came my way earlier this month and I was impressed all over again. And this time it was by much more than the array of young athletes the university seems to always line up across the gridiron from my Tigers.

Be assured there was an athlete of the highest order in this scenario, too, but he was not the evening’s headliner.

Those honors went to my friend, Allen Beermann, Nebraska’s secretary of state for 23 years who now heads up the Nebraska Press Association, and two other distinguished Nebraskans, Tom Plummer of Ogallala and former State Senator DiAnna Schimek. They were recognized as Distinguished NEBRASKAlanders during a formal dinner in the rotunda of the capitol celebrating the state’s 144th anniversary of statehood.

The festivities began with a wine reception (White only, of course, we were politely informed. Red could stain the magnificent marble floors.) and ended with a much more festive “after party” high atop Lincoln’s prominent US Bank building.

Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman hosted the event — he apologized up front for needing to leave early to see his old high school play for the state girls’ basketball championship (against the lieutenant governor’s high school) — but neither he nor the state’s Congressional delegation were the featured attendees. Nor, in some ways, were the three designated honorees.

The real focus of the evening was on Nebraska — and her people.

As I have noted in an earlier column or two, those folks are so damned proud of their state it makes me sick.

Sick with envy.

And that night, they exhibited several of the reasons they have to be proud.

Having been on some day trips with Allen and Nebraska newspaper people in the past, I knew to expect representatives of the USS Nebraska, the nuclear submarine that’s named after, and adopted by, the state. I was not disappointed, either, as the captain of the boat did the honors of cutting the birthday cake with his Navy saber.

Still in the military vein, one special guest was U.S. Astronaut Clayton Anderson, who was born in Omaha and now claims Ashland as his hometown.

Clayton told about his pride in being an astronaut, especially in being photographed in the observation bubble of the international space station wearing a Larry the Cable Guy flannel shirt with the cutoff sleeves, a University of Nebraska baseball cap, Cabela’s camouflage pants and the gloves worn by fellow Nebraskan Curt Tomasevicz when he won the Olympic gold medal with the U.S. men’s four-man bobsled team. In that picture, he’s also holding a baseball from the final College World Series held in Rosenblatt Stadium.

Tomasevicz was there, too, having just flown in from training in Europe. He proudly shard stories of the significant support he received from the 600-some-odd folks in his hometown of Shelby, Neb., in raising money to get him into the sport. A former Husker football player with All Big XII Academic honors, he holds a master’s degree in electrical engineering from NU.

When asked by someone in the audience about his gold medal, he unselfishly produced it from his pocket and passed it around for his fellow Nebraskans (and a couple of Missourians) to fondle and photograph. It IS a piece of hardware, I’m here to tell you.
                              The crown on the all-star lineup, however, was an 18-year-old from Gering, Neb.

Pardon my ignorance, but I had noticed the pert young lady in a fancy red evening dress who was the object of quite a lot of attention. I assumed she was probably Miss Nebraska and let it go at that. And I had assumed correctly.

Sort of.

Hello. Teresa Scanlan is also the reigning Miss America.

And she is something else.

As poised as anyone twice her age you ever met, as well a quite attractive, she wowed the guests with maturity and purpose as she confidently told the group how thankful she to have grown up in Nebraska. She is third generation from the former Yugoslavia and as sharp as can be. She noted in remarks — and during an all-too-brief elevator ride — how proud she is of being a Nebraskan.

It is doubtful she will stick around long though. She wants to be President of the United States — and chief justice of the Supreme Court.

But you know what impressed me the most about the whole evening?

Lincoln is named for Abraham Lincoln and everyone there exemplified his quotation: “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.”

And Nebraskans are that, for sure.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X