Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven M. Sipple: NU needs to make big jump to get big win

Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:40 pm
    Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez (3) steps away from Wyoming defensive end Josh Biezuns in the third quarter in Laramie, Wyo., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011. (FRANCIS GARDLER/Lincoln Journal Star)

LARAMIE, Wyo. -- Nebraska's performance Saturday night didn't quite match the natural beauty of the surroundings.

Such an achievement would have been next to impossible, especially in the second quarter, when the sun was setting and creating a pink-peach hue on the rolling hills east of War Memorial Stadium.

This gritty little cowboy town has a gorgeous side.

In contrast, Nebraska's offering against Wyoming was, well, on the clunky side, which isn't exactly what the ninth-ranked Huskers desired in advance of an anticipated tussle next week at No. 6 Wisconsin.

If everybody in scarlet and cream would've played with the controlled abandon and intelligence of Rex Burkhead, Nebraska fans likely would feel much better after the Huskers' 38-14 victory.

If you're a Nebraska fan, you wanted to see the Huskers keep pace with Wisconsin, which played an awful nonconference schedule but looked excellent all the while. The 4-0 Badgers blasted South Dakota 59-10 on Saturday.

Nebraska, also 4-0, played an OK nonconference schedule, and it performed well collectively only in spurts, as was the case in this game. Most folks are picking Wisconsin to prevail next week. Evidence suggests that's a safe pick.

NU did some things well against Wyoming. Burkhead was magnificent from the opening bell, finishing with 170 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries, and Husker coach Bo Pelini pointed with pride to improvement "in things you wouldn't see with the untrained eye." Things like better technique and communication.

Even so, it says here Nebraska will have to take a large leap forward to beat Wisconsin. Does that sound harsh, particularly after a 24-point victory in which Pelini, in a classy move, ordered his team to take a knee inside the Wyoming 5-yard line in the final seconds?

Welcome to life in the national top 10. We nitpick incessantly, even after Nebraska outgains a foe 490-305 and averages 7.0 yards per play, as was the case Saturday.

Wyoming (3-1) was plucky in the manner of an overmatched outfit. But let's face it, the Huskers benefited greatly from a series of gifts Wyoming handed them in the third quarter -- gifts that likely won't be forthcoming at Wisconsin.

Plus, you have to give Wisconsin the edge at the most important position. Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez's play was spotty. He fumbled twice, and on one second-quarter series, threw behind receivers on three straight plays. He played "OK," offensive coordinator Tim Beck said.

This after Martinez's sterling effort in last week's 51-38 home win against Washington.

Martinez can't afford to be up-and-down at Camp Randall Stadium, especially if Wisconsin senior quarterback Russell Wilson is his typical steady self. The Badgers' balance on offense is striking enough to make them a national-championship contender.

Wisconsin plays solid defense. The Badgers aren't particularly fast or explosive on that side of the ball, a factor that works in Nebraska's favor. The Husker offense will have a speed advantage. But NU could negate that edge with sloppy mistakes.

"It always comes down to the little things once the competition steps up," Pelini said.

Which brings us to an element to watch closely at Camp Randall. You have to wonder how the young guns playing key roles for Nebraska will react in such a charged environment, on such a momentous occasion.

You wonder, because Husker freshmen made some glaring mistakes Saturday night. You saw a wideout jump offside inexcusably on a second-and-5 at the Wyoming 34, which became even more damaging when Brett Maher's 50-yard field goal just missed at the end of the first half.

You saw a freshman offensive lineman false start on a third-and-3 in Wyoming territory. You saw a freshman running back lose a fumble. NU fumbled four times in all, losing just the one.

Ah, we're forever nitpicking. But Pelini is right -- against squads the caliber of Wisconsin, it's often the little things that most matter. Is Nebraska ready for the Badgers?

"Are they ready for us?" Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini asked with his usual air of confidence.

Can't wait to find out.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'm not sure why but our coaches have this level of confidnece that hasn't been warranted based upon field results.

Comment

• By Dirk Chatelain
        WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LARAMIE, Wyo. — Corey Cooper lost his cookies. Or whatever he ate for lunch.

Since he arrived at Nebraska 15 months ago, Cooper considered himself a safety. Until Monday. Then the Pelinis moved the redshirt freshman to cornerback. And Saturday night, he started his first game.
        Advertisement

On Wyoming's 11th offensive play, Cooper's man beat him for 13 yards.

Finally, the nerves and the altitude twisted his tummy too tight.

Next thing you know, the poor kid is upchucking on Cowboy Joe at the 50-yard line. Before he could make it to the sideline, Cooper threw up again.

As the Huskers prepare to embark on a big adventure, Cooper isn't the only one with a queasy stomach. Nebraska heads to Wisconsin in six days. And it ain't ready.

Disregard the score Saturday night.

Wyoming didn't have a single skill player capable of cracking the Nebraska two-deep. The Cowboys are closer to Chattanooga than Washington. Yet NU allowed them to hang around until the third quarter.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110924/BIGRED/709249719/-1#chatelain-huskers-have-lots-of-cleaning-up-to-do

Comment

• Published Saturday September 24, 2011

FOOTBALL

Shatel: For young, erratic Huskers, route to Madison is all uphill

By Tom Shatel
          WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

LARAMIE, Wyo. — On to Wisconsin.

Nebraska's initiation into the Big Ten — or is it the other way around? — begins next Saturday in a little madhouse they like to call Camp Randall Stadium. This is what we've all been waiting for. Here we go.
          Advertisement

But there are a few things about the Huskers that Bucky Badger and friends need to know.

First, this is not the 1995 Nebraska team. This is not one of those NU teams that beat Miami, Florida and Tennessee every hour, on the hour, during a Big Ten Network "Meet the Huskers" marathon last July.

This isn't even the 1985 Huskers.

This is a Nebraska team that is very happy to be 4-0 right now.

This is a Nebraska team that, through four games, is overrated as the No. 9 team in the nation and a favorite to win the Big Ten.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110924/BIGRED/709249723/-1#shatel-for-young-erratic-huskers-route-to-madison-is-all-uphill

Comment

• I think this is a preview of the B1G CCG. Wisky will definitely be there. The Huskerz road is a bit more difficult, but their schedule will only toughen them up.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Wisc opened at 8.5 pt favorites. Line has already moved to 10.

Comment

• Wisky is a level or two above everyone else in the B10. They probably slip up a game but they are BCS worthy.

Comment

• I agree except for one thing, WM. I don't think anyone in the B1G is going to beat Wisconsin. I think they're going to the BCS as the undefeated B1G champion.

Not sure if that will be enough to get them into the MNC, though. Especially if Okie and the SEC Champion are undefeated.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I might agree, trying to think who could play at Wisky's level for a game, Nebraska is about the only chance. I don't see it happening. Who else they play? I could see MSU playing them close, for about a half...

Comment

• They are the best in the Big10 but they've yet to play a single quality team. If they trounce the Huskerz, watch out. Last year I belive it was MSU that upset them in their first Big10 game of the year? And Iowa probably should have beaten them too.

Comment

• They've trounced their usual 4 OOC cupcakes. Their B10 schedule looks pathetic; no M who with Denard could give any team trouble, no NW w/ Persa who could test their secondary and no Iowa...

Ohio game is in Columbus, that hurts them.

Comment

• Upon reflection, Northern Illinois is decent, for a MAC team.

The team that sort of lucked out with the easiest Big10 schedule is Illinois. Their road schedule is composed of Indiana, Penn State, Purdue, and Minnesota. Three awful teams and another that has a bad offense. If they beat us in 3 weeks, I think they very well could be undefeated when Michigan heads to Chambana

Comment

• Wisky vs UNL review

Comment

• Its real simple; we don't tackle well enough, or play the run in general well enough, to win this game. Period.

Even if we had the suffocating pass coverage we've become accustomed to in recent years we'd likely still get beat because UW will Iso and Sweep our pansy-ass defensive front to death. And we don't have that suffocating coverage.

Fortunately, we have developed something of an offense- if our OC can figure out to run it- so I don't think we'll get totally pummeled unless things come apart at the seams and we go -3 in turnovers and have 10 penalties. We do have an awful lot of fast, talent kids at the skill positions, our OL situation is coming together, and our QB is making fewer bonehead decisions.

42-27 Wiscy. Badgers put us away late with a display of power football.

Comment

• Very encouraged by ticket market on eBay. I think I'll get some good seats for under $150/each. WoooOOOT!
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X