Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry froot. My bad. Spartans deserved to win.

Comment

• Just got around to watching my recording of this one.

The FBI should conduct an investigation into possible point shaving by the OSU defense. That's the worst that I have ever seen an OSU defense look. They didn't show up.

Comment

• Iowa executed flawlessly.

Comment

• Yes, but Hanni is correct. It was like OSU had never seen that offense before. It was disgracefully bad. I still say that unfortunate sequence of OL injuries was bad news, but there's no pardoning Schiano or, for that matter, the offense to start the 2nd half when they needed drives.

Awful in so many ways.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Do you miss Chris Ash yet?
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I only miss Herman. And I may be missing Fickell. His LBs were always on point. Always. I haven't seen a more undisciplined, awful LBing performance from OSU LBs in, like, forever. Maybe when Illinois pimped them for 46 in 1999.

Comment

• You are a sick man, emotionally over-wrought at osu's recent misfortunes (heh, getting gang raped by Ferentz's s boys) if you miss Luke Fickel.

Well, Herman? Sure. I get that. But he's on to bigger and better things. My sense is that unless urbz starts to lose a bit more, osu is in for that carousel of coaches thing and this does not bode well for continuity in recruiting or on-field performance.

I like this particular outlook.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Fickell was a really good LB coach. I wouldn't trust him as DC or, god forbid, HC. But he knew LBs and did a good job with them.

I'm not sure the carousel thing matters. It's basically been a carousel.

What's more interesting is that UFM is now at OSU longer than he's been at any other school. Does his coaching style have staying power beyond 4-5 years? That would be the question I'd ask if I were you.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Fickell was a really good LB coach. I wouldn't trust him as DC or, god forbid, HC. But he knew LBs and did a good job with them.

I'm not sure the carousel thing matters. It's basically been a carousel.

What's more interesting is that UFM is now at OSU longer than he's been at any other school. Does his coaching style have staying power beyond 4-5 years? That would be the question I'd ask if I were you.

Crying Tebow says UfM's time is nigh at TOSUC.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Why would coaching tenure matter in college for coaching style effectiveness/staying power? This is college, so the max number of years a player can be there is 5 years. In other words, a lot of new fresh players every year. Plus they are kids, not adult pros. I see that as an issue in the pros, but not college.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
                        Why would coaching tenure matter in college for coaching style effectiveness/staying power? This is college, so the max number of years a player can be there is 5 years. In other words, a lot of new fresh players every year. Plus they are kids, not adult pros. I see that as an issue in the pros, but not college.
                        Let me ask you this. Do you think Michigan's on field performance was negatively impacted over the last decade by the change from LC's man-ball to RR's spready shit that included multiple OC and DC changes then back again to Hoke's sorry version of football with equally disruptive changes in OCs and DCs?

That's a rhetorical question becasue I already know what the right answer is and if you think it didn't matter, you'd be wrong on a number of different levels.

So, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. What are you getting at? IMO, the carousel of coaches does matter but I think in OSU's case it is mitigated by ufm's strong personality and coaching style. That's what talent was getting at, I think.

I do think that Harbaugh has a similar character to ufm. So, subordinate coaching changes at M as well may not be as impactfull. I do think they affect recruiting but then again, I don't follow this as closely as others who post here.

Comment

• Talent didn't say coaching changes, he wrote that the question to ask is: is meyer's style sustainable after 5 years at one place. I read that to mean about Meyer himself and the way Meyer does things. I stand by my previous statement. The idea behind it is usually seen in the pros where a long tenured successful coach stops having success with the same team because the players are "tuning him out". The premise is that they have heard it already and are not buying it. I don't think Meyer can have that fatigue with his style with players in college because there is so much yearly turnover in players.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
                            .....I read that to mean about Meyer himself and the way Meyer does things. I stand by my previous statement. The idea behind it is usually seen in the pros where a long tenured successful coach stops having success with the same team because the players are "tuning him out". The premise is that they have heard it already and are not buying it. I don't think Meyer can have that fatigue with his style with players in college because there is so much yearly turnover in players.
                            I'd agree with what you said above.

I could be wrong but within the meaning of talent's characterization of meyer is that his personality and coaching style mitigates the impact of a coaching carousel.

IOW, new coaches hired to his staff are simply going to be extensions of him. He's not looking for guys with new ideas so much as he is looking for guys who think and coach like he does. meyer runs a sustainable football program in terms of its success.

I don't think that is the case with the majority of CFB coaches. New coaches can change the team chemistry and coaching dynamic - not a good thing most of the time. Losing long term coaches can affect recruiting negatively. Guys like meyer and Saban, probably Harbaugh and a few others may not have to deal with the full, typically negative impact of coaching changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I only miss Herman.
                              I'll bet that you miss Hermann too.

The Oklahoma loss, to me, fits into the category of "eh -- shit happens". Acceptable. The Iowa buttfucking, on the other hand, is cause for some serious introspection. Not on the offensive side of the ball so much, since there was a lot of success there in the first half against a quality defense, but on the defensive side of the ball. The defense looked both emotionally flat and tactically unprepared. It was a complete disaster in every respect. It reminded me a ton of the infamous Jim Hermann and Ron English bed shittings -- those once or twice a year disasters where you couldn't believe what your eyes were showing you.

I don't think that Meyer's style wears thin on a team, but if there is any risk, I would say that it is in Meyer getting burned out. He is a workaholic and, boy, does that guy look miserable after a loss.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; November 8, 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• I think Hanni is right on the money. The risk to OSU is Meyer getting burned out or bailing on a program for 'family reasons' once he has a bit of difficulty. Just seems like he puts everything he has into football, and if that goes south - he's done.

All the more reason to break out a can of whup-ass vs. OSU in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X