Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coen Bros are geniuses.

Comment

• Yeah. They are all good. Still, this one stands out for me. Jewel in the crown.

Comment

• The Dude is always parroting what he hears. The movie opens with the George Bush speech and the Dude uses "this aggression will not stand, man."

When he meets Maude she's talking about vaginas and coitus. Later she asks if he enjoys sex and he says, "you mean coitus?"

Maude also refers to Bunny as a young trophy wife to use the parlance of our times. When the Dude is in the limo with the Other Lebowski and he's brilliantly talking about how "new shit has come to light" he says "...young trophy wife, you know, to use the parlance of our times...."

It's fantastic.

The actors said they spent gads of time doing read throughs of the script to get everything just right. Considerably more time than is typical, I guess. Really shows.

C'mon man. I've had a long night and I hate the fucking Eagles.

Just because we're bereaved DOESN'T MAKE US SAPS!

The Coens...yeah...fantastic. They have some brilliant films. An underrated dialogue film, IMO, is O Brother. Clooney is ridiculous in that, IMO. Goodman's cameo is fantastic. Other role characters are great.

Anyway, I could go.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• There's also when Maude calls it the beaver picture and The Dude says ``don't you mean vagina?'' SO GOOD!!! I'd not picked up on coitus, good one.

Comment

• Yeah, there's somebody else who parrots ``goes around owing money all over town'' and I forget who. The Dude parrots everything, but I just love how unrelated characters do too. Such attention to detail.

Comment

• My two Coen favorites are Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading. I like The Big Lebowski okay but it's one of those movies that has gotten a little bit annoying because it is so overquoted. They are as good as anyone has ever been at loading their movies with details to make them re-watchable. Lots of hidden storytelling in their movies if you are playing close attention.

Comment

• Loved Burn After Reading. JK Simmons, small part and all, is great.

Comment

• NCFOM was another gem (along with The Dude), Bell and Chigurh are opposites sides of the same coin. Both are on my DVR.

Comment

• I haven't seen Burn After Reading. That is now near the top of my to-do list.

Agree about the depth of details in their films. Not only are most of their films re-watchable, they're better the second and third time around. I remember being nonplussed by Lebowski in the theater. I didn't watch it again for two years or so when I watched with a friend who had been sucked in. And then so was I.

I still really, really like Fargo. The contrast between McDormand and WH Macy is brilliantly done.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Burn After Reading isn't too popular. I think that you have to be in the right mindset to see it. It is one of the ugliest and most misanthropic movies that I have ever seen. Most of the Coen Bros fans that I know don't like it but it's my favorite.

Comment

• Fantastic movie and the Coen brothers also serve as executive producers on the TV series Fargo on FX. It won the Golden Globe Award for Best 'mini series' for its first season, as well as Golden Globe Award for Best Actor Billy Bob Thornton. Im really looking forward to see what they have up thier sleeve for season 2.

Comment

• That Fargo TV series was about as good as TV gets. Thornton was perfectly cast. Can't wait til it hits Hulu so I can rewatch it. I was unaware that they were doing a second season. I thought it was a one-off.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Agree about the depth of details in their films. Not only are most of their films re-watchable, they're better the second and third time around. I remember being nonplussed by Lebowski in the theater. I didn't watch it again for two years or so when I watched with a friend who had been sucked in. And then so was I.
                            Same here on Lebowski, the first time I truly didn't get it. I'm not sure my expectations were correct going into it. I don't remember but I guess I was looking for some action adventure movie.

I probably didn't get around to watching it for a second time for about 10 years, really the only reason I watched it again was because people were always quoting it. I couldn't stop laughing the second time around.

Comment

• But Froot can't watch. Unless he pays a thousand dollars.

Comment

• I'm just gonna go find an ATM...

Comment

Working...
                                X