Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Still my favorite picture

Comment

• Urbs getting assraped by Clemson...understandable...sort or...I mean we were led to believe he was the next The Nick...
      Then he gets assraped by Iowa....Iowa!!!! Now by Purdue....Purdue!!! Losing to either not embarrassing but getting asshammered by them...whoa. Hell had the hapless Huskers not shit their pants against the Boilers we had a chance and we suck...but 49-20...lol...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Correct. I have the UNL-OSU game in two weeks as a toss-up. Maybe OSU is -3 with homefield.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Ohio State will be in the Outback if they're lucky. (M=CFP, Iowa=Rose?, Penn State/Wisky=Citrus; Penn State/Wisky=Outback; Sparty/Ohio State=Holiday/Bronx)

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• It is coachable, but the fact that it has happened every game of the season thus far suggests either it's not coachable by this group of coaches or this group of coaches isn't interested in coaching it.

I'm not one to overreact. If you want to see overreaction go read OSU forums. However, as the season has progressed it's become clear that they aren't a particularly good football team. First, they're stupid. They commit stupid penalties every game. Against Purdue they had two massively stupid penalties including the stupidest roughing the punter I've ever seen. Both penalties kept drives alive that resulted in TDs. Second, they can't run the ball. Whether it's scheme or OL or backs missing holes -- I don't care. They can't run the ball -- and it's not just a matter of when teams load the box. Purdue started to go even or -1 in the box to defend the pass and they still couldn't run. What's more, they don't even generate the outlier explosive run. Third, the defensive back 7 has holes and Schiano's scheme is, IMO, exacerbating them. I think this is primarily seen at the LB spot. But, I think it also shows up in the secondary because (a) they're not quite good enough at CB to play press man all game; and (b) they're really not good enough at FS to trust him to take the proper angle to stop a big play.

If they could run the ball then the offense would be really, really good. If they could play defense then the offense would be good enough to score enough points to win. However, without a running game or a defense and with a team that ranks in the bottom 20 in penalties -- it's just not good.

Comment

• Good analyses. Sometimes it takes a loss to wake a team up.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• STFU
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• good analysis. sometimes a DNA deficient depraved douchebag who speaks only in acronyms is just what this forum needs to wake the fok up

Comment

• Looking at osu from 10K feet, it's obvious that something is wrong ..... wrong like M's offense in 2017 and with HokeOrges in whenever that was only differently wrong. The defense is another matter entirely. I'll get to that.

Harbaughffense in 2017 had a QB problem and an OL problem that was, looking back, a coaching issue. osu does not have a QB problem like 2017 M's. But it does have an OL issue and I think there may be an issue with the offensive philosophy meyer wants to play that he can't with Haskins. The reason M couldn't run in 2017 (or during the Borges era) was because in 2017 the run game had insufficient variation. With Borges, the run game lacked cohesiveness ..... both teams suffered in the run game from poor or poorly utilized (Borges and Gardner) QB play. It was easy to stop M's run game in both those instances because all the D had to do was bring a S up and do a good job gap filling with their LBs and Ss. A Raquan Williams type DT bringing chaos into the backfield on most plays also helped.

MSU's defense against the run in 2018 is excellent but M managed to neutralize it's effectiveness somewhat - enough to grind out a win, esp. in the 4th. Because of two things: (1) what Patterson brings to the table in the run game and the way the team runs the RO, to a lesser extent his passing, and (2) Good interior OL play to begin with and a nothing but spectacular improvement in OT play - I'd add as is clear to all, Warriner fixed whatever coaching/coach player issues existed within the OL unit in 2017.

On the OL and with the RBs, again from 10K feet, there's talent. It just doesn't appear to be meshing - that would seem to me to be a coaching issue or one of scheme ill-suited to player skill sets. I dunno ..... but clearly it's not good. I agree with AA. meyer has the potential to get things back on track, assuming he, or maybe more importantly the players, haven't entered the BPONE themselves. But if I have it right and it is a coaching/scheme fit issue, it is probably a big enough problem itself that just tweeking the offense isn't going to work. I think it seems like this is the case. Two weeks, given practice time limits, isn't enough time to make major changes. The likelihood of an attempt to do that will blow up in osu's face is fairly high.

I like where osu finds itself and am pleased talent has reconciled himself with it. It's like recovery. The first step is to admit there is a problem, the second ...... learn to live in the shadow.

On the defense: I thought osu looked un-prepared for a fired up Purdue team that had no business scoring all those points. I'll go with talent on this one. Schiano is missing matching his scheme to the skill sets of his players. I really do think this is a coaching issue or possibly guys just not buying in to what Schiano tells them is supposed to happen. I also think the Bosa episode is a big downer for the defense. I'm not faulting him for doing what he's done to prepare himself for the NFL but I think his quitting has done some damage. Everyone of us has seen what losing a key player does to a team. When thoughts of betrayal or abandonment crop up and then are magnified by failure, that's a nasty brew flowing through what should be a high-performance unit, scuttling it's effectiveness in the process. Very difficult to reverse and typical rah-rah coaching shit intended to pump guys up probably does more damage than good under the current circumstances, one I think I might have right. Mitigating the impact of BPONE among players takes a very savvy approach that incorporates getting senior leaders involved. Lacking that, expect more woes for osu's defense.

If anyone can mitigate the current and apparent disaster taking place within the osu football program though, its ufm ..... the question is, is he up for it?
                        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 23, 2018, 10:01 AM.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• First, M didn't beat Sparty because of their run game. They beat Sparty because of their defense and one long pass. To reiterate, Penn State ran for 200+ yards on 6.4 ypc the week before against Sparty. So, I mean, I get that M's running game is better than it was at the outset, but I wasn't particularly impressed. But everything works when your defense gives up no points and not only that, no first downs. That's why Joe Burrow is 7-1 -- solid QB playing with a really good defense. But M's offense shit away so much good field position that it defies logic, or at least it defies what I saw, to think the offense played well.

Second, OSU-wise, I think losing the impact of losing Nick Bosa is basically losing Nick Bosa -- arguably the best player in CFB. I don't think it extends beyond that. He was devastatingly good, required specific schemes and generally helped paper up the holes on defense. Chase Young has gads of talent but is inconsistent. Jonathan Cooper is good, but, I mean. Just good. It's still a plenty good DL, but it was spectacular with Bosa and Young on the ends and Landers and Dremont Jones in the middle.

Otherwise we're in general agreement re the problems OSU has. I'm just not in the business of going beyond the field and scheme to lockerroom or "program" or "UFM looks TURRRRRIBLE!!!!"

Comment

• I think it's about thyme four Urbs to fake a nudder illness...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Finally, while there are a lot of things wrong with OSU, if they could get their back 7 squared away then they'd be fine. I can live without a running game, or at least one that isn't terribly effective. Haskins is really good. The offense isn't generally the problem. That said, the offense probably cost them the game against Purdue -- total red zone failure -- along with two egregiously stupid penalties and the fake FG -- which is really stupid, too -- I mean it's at the end of the half -- you let them kick it and watch for fakes. The defense, overall, played well enough to win (until the last 2 drives). It was frustrating that they didn't do a better job stopping Purdue's obviously only explosive offensive player. But, oh well. If they had scored some TDs on offense then I think they actually win.

But, overall, I just don't have enough faith in the defense to keep any team under 24. And that's a problem. And that problem gets amplified when your offense is really -- and I mean really -- struggling in the red zone over the last two games. I mean, against Minnesota and Purdue they've had 8 red zone possessions that have resulted in 12 total points. That's staggeringly bad. Almost impossibly bad.

So, against Nebraska they should be able to score enough and even run to some effect. But UNL will score a bunch. I could see OSU winning by something like 45-31. Against Sparty, they won't run one lick, but Sparty's offense isn't going to drop a ton of points on them. Or I don't think they will. But it'll be tough sledding for an OSU offense that Sparty can tee off on. If OSU wins, it'll be something like 20-17, but I have that as a toss-up. Against Maryland, well. Maryland will hit a big play or two, but I think OSU should be fine to win that by 21 or so. Then against M they'll have all sorts of trouble. M's offense will be effective, especially with any sort of PA or option play that requires discipline to stop. Don Brown will tee of on Haskins -- play his press man and blitz the fuck out of a statue at QB. OSU's WRs are good and maybe they get some breaks on crossing patterns, but overall it won't be good. I'd say something like 27-10 right now. So, I think they can still go 10-2 if they can somehow get past Sparty. For most programs that's a good year. But, UFM's OSU isn't most programs.

Also, Austin Mack is probably out for the year. Another injury.

Comment

• shaddup
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X