Brady Unlimited III: Wolverines in the NFL & NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    The defensive lineman are too good to run consistently. I'm not sure how you get that balance back.

I'd start with applying the rules for holding on run plays that you allow for pass plays.. I think there is a difference in what you get away with on a pass play vs a run play.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      The defensive lineman are too good to run consistently. I'm not sure how you get that balance back.
      Good question.

What would happen if you made the neutral zone a foot wider? O-line might be able to fire off the ball better? Just a thought. There have been a lot of rule tweaks over the years but it seems like it has always favored passing.

Comment

• Some info.

NFL Rushing attempts per game:

1976: 36.8
        1986: 30.1
        1996: 28.3
        2006: 28.2
        2016: 26.0

The 2016 average YPC is highest of those selected years at 4.16. So, like college, fewer rushing attempts than in years past, but higher yards per.

Beefing up the run game in the NFL is going to require substantial changes IMO. Some of those noted above, and probably roster expansion, which isn't happening.

Comment

• Any of those tweaks may work, I'm not sure. I think the passing trend is more because it generally makes more sense to pass. A lot of this stuff is kind of like an outgrowth of the West Coast offense. Back in the 80's the Niners were the first ones to really emphasize the short passing game. But teams now take that concept but have made it a lot more sophisticated with packaged plays and no huddle offenses. 25 years ago, the Sam Wyche no huddle was looked on as a gimmicked so defenses couldn't substitute. Now it is fairly standard for a team with a good QB.

I look at it like the way the NBA shoots threes, it was always there, but it's taken a long time to get there.
          Last edited by froot loops; January 23, 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Good comparison Froot.

Comment

• There is always innovation, but there were significant changes made in the rules in the mid 70s which undeniably altered the pro game...and were supposed to. Penalty yardage on some calls, like holding, were reduced, and rules regarding downfield contact with receivers and the use of hands on pass pro were changed in favor of the offense. Remember when the goal posts were at the front of the EZ? That went away in the mid 70s too, as to reduce interference with pass patterns.

Comment

• They were moved back because of the improvement of field goal kickers, they were moved to the front of the end zone in the 30s because the field goal kickers were crap.

The biggest difference for the last 20 years is the leagues concerted effort to protect the QB, they were pi?atas for a long time.

Comment

• Officials need to call offensive holding as much as they do defensive holding on DB's.

Comment

• Rules have played a part. But the biggest difference is the quality of QB's and WR's has improved dramatically. Especially QB's who now have year long training, personal coaches, technique camps etc.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I thought NFL GM's were complaining about the quality of QB's coming out of college..

Comment

• I don't know. It sure seems to me that the athleticism and speed of the game is much improved from 20 years ago, but it's hard to back those kinds of statements, especially since watching mostly the college game tends to highlight the athleticism and speed of the pro game when I do watch the latter.

Comment

• I think speed and athletic ability have improved across the board including high school and college.

I played high school ball in the 70s. The vast majority of the kids were under 200 lbs and a 4.8 forty was pretty damn quick, most kids were in the 5.0 range. Now there are 300lb kids in high-school running 5 flat and better and the quickness at all positions has improved proportionally.
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Eye test certainly agrees. As does the weight charts from now and then. And the linemen increasingly look lean and muscled rather than just bulky.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              I thought NFL GM's were complaining about the quality of QB's coming out of college..
                              They are

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                                I think speed and athletic ability have improved across the board including high school and college.

I played high school ball in the 70s. The vast majority of the kids were under 200 lbs and a 4.8 forty was pretty damn quick, most kids were in the 5.0 range. Now there are 300lb kids in high-school running 5 flat and better and the quickness at all positions has improved proportionally.

f'ing milk hormones..

Comment

Working...
                                X