No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No need to pick on Kearney. I crashed in an RV at the Walmart in Kearney a few years back. I thought it was just as nice as any other Walmart.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I wish you were in the portal...the portal to HELL!!! Or Kearney, Nebraska. That'd work, too.
      I could be a starter on another forum.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Former Michihgan QB and coach Scott Loeffler was hired as BGS HC for the 2019 season. He has hired multiple coaches from the Lloyd Carr era including former Carr DC, Tom Herrmann (LBs), Terry Malone, Erik Campbell and Kevin Tolbert.

I'll have to tune in to watch Bowling Green run a man-ball offense and a 97 version of Jim Hemann's defense ....... and get blown out by teams in that league that long ago gave up that kind of approach to CFB.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          No need to pick on Kearney. I crashed in an RV at the Walmart in Kearney a few years back. I thought it was just as nice as any other Walmart.
          Pricks. I'm a UNK grad...at least the diploma is signed by someone.

Now kindly STFU
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• "By mid-August the public is hungry for college football, and America is now going to be able to watch the Gators and Hurricanes in a marquee game a week earlier than usual.

Announced on Thursday that Florida vs Miami received approval to have the game pushed up to Saturday, Aug. 24 from its original scheduled date of Saturday, Aug. 31. The game will still be played in Camping World Stadium. in Orlando, Florida.

Comment

• According to the Associated Press ......

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/art...grad-transfers

"A proposal to require a graduate transfer to count against a team's scholarship total for two years in football and basketball has been rejected by the NCAA. The Division I Council on Friday voted down a proposal that could have tapped the brakes on the de facto free agency created by a rule originally intended to give athletes more freedom to pursue graduate degrees."

My view is that the idea of letting players transfer - a "defacto free agency" - serves to empower the players in a small way. I'm for the gradual recognition that CFB players deserve certain rights given the skills they are providing to the programs they play for - those programs reaping huge monetary benefit from their contributions to the two revenue sports. This is a good first step.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• FYI for anyone who might hear rumblings of this

One of the government's witnesses in the college basketball scandal, a guy named Marty Blazer, made a bunch of claims about payments in college FOOTBALL today. He didn't name names but he testified to have personally paid players at Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, and others between 2000 and 2013. In the Penn State case, he claims a then-assistant coach in 2009 asked him to arrange the payment. Can't find a link to it but Dan Wetzel is talking about it on Twitter.

I mean, take it for what you will.

Comment

• 2013 is outside the statute of limitations for the NCAA, I believe.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• But if it's Bama and the year 2000, I believe it. We paid Albert Means in that era.

Comment

• Should follow up-

Based on the description Blazer gave in court, that the assistant coach had a son in the NFL at the time, people have concluded that it could only be Larry Johnson Sr. who's currently on the OSU staff. LJ has explicitly denied it.

Comment

• This is an interesting 247 article that lists success rates for CFB programs and ranks them according to how many 247 top recruits get drafted.

Aside from the raw data that produces the rankings, which should surprise no one, there are some conclusions that can be made here based on it:

Michigan can not sell to recruits, at least on the basis of the data time span, that it does a good job of getting top talent into the NFL. In fact, it has done a relatively poor job of developing the meager top talent it does get.

Certainly, it's a five-year study so, M is going to suffer from the lack of top recruits under Hoke that would have been included in the study's time frame..... and admittedly, I can't name them if there were any. It does seem to be on the up-tick though with the number of M players probably getting drafted in this year's draft.

I think most observers would argue that Harbaugh's recruiting hasn't been stellar if you compare him to meyer, Saban and Sweeney. I think it can also be argued that the top talent Harbaugh has brought in hasn't been developed well (transfers, drop-outs, etc. affecting any analysis of this).

My gut sense is that this particular measure for M may improve but it is an up-hill battle given the freight train obstacles that are today's football elite programs.

I think there is room for reasonable debate about how long it should take Harbaugh to turn Michigan football into a perennial contended or if he even can do that. My take is that given his particular approach to the football program and then combine that with the recruiting reality for top HS talent evident in the 247 piece - HS guys that have the talent and are principally looking for the big NFL payday, aren't going to go to Michigan - M fans had better set expectations a bit lower than they tend to set them.

A five-year look at the Top247 shows which programs do the most with their four- and five-star prospects based on NFL Draft data.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          2013 is outside the statute of limitations for the NCAA, I believe.
                          ...and if anyone knows how to cheat and get away with it...it's a Bammer fan...

AA:

hello
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We didn't get away with it. Crippling sanctions. Bowl bans, 21 scholarships, forfeiture of wins.

Comment

• Comment

• DSL, why do you hate Capitalism and love re-distributive Liberalism?

Comment

Working...
                                X