The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More trouble for the Ducks
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• A University of Massachusetts official says the school will become a member of the Football Bowl Subdivision and join the Mid-American Conference for that sport.

More...

Comment

• FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- The Armed Forces Bowl will be played in Dallas for the second straight season.

More...

Comment

• WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama has congratulated the Air Force Academy football team for winning the Commander in Chief trophy, noting that they'll be taking it home to Colorado Springs, Colo., for the first time in eight years.

More...

Comment

• UMass in the MAC = wtf? I presume this will send Bowling Green back into the Western division. I think I saw where they will probably play at Gillette Stadium? That's pretty far from the campus in Amherst.

If they move to a 9-game conf schedule that'll make cupcake hunting more difficult for the Big10

Comment

• FWIW, this is another blow for the Colonial Conference (formerly the A-10) which is rapidly losing its northeastern contingent.

Hofstra and Northeastern already dropped football two years ago. Rhode Island is joining the Northeast Conference in 2013. Villanova's bid to join the Big East is on hold, but they may be leaving too. With no other Northeast schools left, it probably wouldn't be long before Maine and New Hampshire leave too.

The CAA has been the best conference in FCS, maybe more so than for it's own good.

Comment

• Jacksonville State (not to be confused with Jacksonville University) may be moving up too. Sun Belt is the only realistic opportunity for them I would think.

The Jacksonville State University Board of Trustees passed a resolution during Monday's quarterly meeting that allows the University to explore the possibility of moving the Gamecock football team to the Football Bowl Subdivision, provided there is an opportunity in the future.

This may be foreshadowing a Sun Belt with 12 teams and a championship game. They are already adding South Alabama in two years and rumors have it they want Louisiana Tech as an 11th member. Jax State would make it an even 12.
                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 19, 2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Update on the arrested Miami Player who said he'd get out of it...

======================

From ESPN
                  UPDATE: Miami Hurricanes linebacker Ramon Buchanan has apparently escaped severe legal punishment for his confrontation with police officers in March.

Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that Buchanan must complete 100 hours of community service, write letters of apology to two officers and donate $300 to charities under an agreement reached with the state attorney?s office. Once he completes the program, his record will be cleared.

Buchanan has already started his community service hours with the City of Miami Police Department.

Rosenbaum said that Buchanan did not get preferential treatment as a member of the Hurricanes. "Many cases are resolved this way as well," he said. "This was not unusual. This is how these cases are resolved if you have no priors."

- Vince Verhei

---

UPDATE: As we suggested below might happen, Al Golden has reinstated LB Ramon Buchanan even though Buchanan is still facing felony charges relating to his March 22 arrest. Golden said on Thursday that he is satisfied by the steps Buchanan has taken to meet conditions that Golden laid out to him after the altercation. (One would think that Golden must believe that the charges will either be dropped or plead down.)

This certainly settles the LB situation nicely, with rising senior Sean Spence entrenched at one OLB spot, Buchanan apparently ready to assume his place at the other, and rising senior Jordan Futch having staked his claim to the MLB job last weekend.

It also unfortunately makes Buchanan's comments to law enforcement officials -- "I'm a U-M football player. ... I'll get out of it. F--- the police" -- appear prophetic.
                  Stay classy Al Golden

Comment

• Well, it may be that his status as a UM player helped him but if it is accurate that he has no priors, it is also true that this is exactly how these things are handled about 99% of the time. However, the courts don't forget. While his record is "cleared" it is more likely that it is actually sealed - meaning no one has access to it accept the court. If he Fs up again, the hammer will drop. I don't have a problem at all with this kind of approach.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• You knew it's come to this eventually. Rodriguez "regrets" the move to Michigan from WVU. Time to mend fences for the poor guy...

After going just 15-22 at Michigan, former Wolverines head coach Rich Rodriguez thinks that leaving West Virginia for Ann Arbor may have been a mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanB View Post
                        You knew it's come to this eventually. Rodriguez "regrets" the move to Michigan from WVU. Time to mend fences for the poor guy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6415022
                        Well it was a step down in prestige and quality of life. I'm surprised he ever did it. But Michigan Men do irrational things

Comment

• If we could live our lives where hindsight could be used to remedy mistakes of the past, I'm certain that we'd all have things we'd go back and change.

Shoot, maybe even the righteous Saint Jim would go back and remedy the wrong(s) that he has wrought on the beloved O-Lie-O football program....

.... but then again, maybe not ... if it would cost him wins.... But, I digress ...

I have no problem with what Rodriguez said. He's absolutely correct. He did have a great thing going in his home state, at his alma mater, and he's a fine football coach.

The Michigan football family did not accept Rodriguez from the get-go. He had no connection to Michigan, or the Schembechler era. That was like two strikes against him before he ever put his name on the office door.

Then, when he failed to realize that you cannot succeed in the Big Ten without a great defense, it greased the rails for his exit from Ann Arbor.

I still think Rodriguez is a fine football coach, and will one day land a top coaching job, and become a winner again. And, I appreciate the sacrifice that he put himself and his family thru, to take the job at Michigan.

He is not a "Michigan Man". He's a graduate of West Virginia.

But, he's still a good man, and a fine football coach, that deserves a chance at another school.

With the timing of all this, it wouldn't shock me to see him end up right back at West Virginia.
                          Last edited by lineygoblue; April 24, 2011, 09:09 AM.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Well said, Liney

Comment

• I agree with everything but the last line, Liney. Once you divorce your sister-mother-wife, you can't go back. He's going to have to re-marry outside the immediate family.
                              Last edited by Ghengis Jon; April 25, 2011, 08:39 AM.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I agree--he isn't going back to West Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                                X