Announcement

Collapse

FORUM POSTING RULES - Read before posting

Forum Rules.

(1) The guiding principle for posting in this forum is moderate yourselves.

(2) Don't write a post that attacks, impugns or denigrates another poster's character. There's an obvious difference between the language of humor and hateful, debased language. Know the difference and post accordingly.

(3) This is a Michigan sports forum. The forum welcomes posts from M's sports rivals. Talking smack, posting sass is what college sports rivalries are all about. Rules (1) and (2) above apply. If you don't want to view the posts of a rival talking smack or sassing, use the ignore feature in User Controls.

(4) This forum is about sharing thoughts, ideas and viewpoints about all sports, any number of subjects and issues, learning stuff from other posters and having fun. There are threads by subject matter within the forum for doing this. Keep the threads on point.

NB: The rules above are not intended to build a case to ban a poster. There are consequences for rule breaking as specified below. That's as far as it should go. Only the most egregious and persistent rule breaking would cause the moderators to consider a ban.

Due Process.

(1) The forum has 6 moderators. Jeff Buchanan, Jon, JD, Hannibal, Oracle, Entropy. None of them want to moderate adult posters who should know better. There may be posts that break the rules.

(2) Posters who, at the sole discretion of a moderator, break a rule will be given a warning post that will site one of the rules listed above as the reason for the deletion.

(3) If the rule breaking behavior continues, a moderator can remove an offending post and any ensuing post that whines about that action. If a moderator removes a post(s) the reason for the removal(s) will be posted with the removal notice that appears in the thread. This should be the end of it. Man up, take responsibility for breaking the rules. The forum moves on. If not, see below.

(4) A poster who has had a warning or a post(s) removed can certify a question by PM to any moderator about that action. Do not complain about the action or attempt to make your case in the forum/threads. Moderators shall do their best to address the question within 72h. At the end of 72h the majority opinion of the moderators responding will be the answer.

(5) Banning a poster for egregious and repeated rule breaking requires a unanimous vote to ban from all 6 moderators. We don't anticipate this will ever happen.
See more
See less

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas A&M’s 2012 class leads the nation with 14 recruits; Texas nabs five more
    PUBLISHED Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:20 pm EST
    Texas has owned February recruiting for several years, but now the Longhorns and Texas A&M are knocking each other around like they do on Saturday afternoons in the fall. It’s not surprising, considering the Aggies are coming off a 9-4 season and a win over their rivals—who finished 5-7 and didn’t go to a bowl.

The Aggies, who are not traditionally the hot starters in recruiting that their rivals are, already have a national-best 14 commitments. With the past three recruiting classes, they’ve only averaged two commitments before March 1, but they’re well on their way to a stellar class. In that same span, Texas has averaged 15 commitments by March 1—while averaging 22 signings overall.

“Happy couldn’t describe how I feel,” said Michael Richardson, a Scout.com three-star LB recruit out of DeSoto (Texas) who picked the Aggies on Feb. 18. “I know the coaches have picked the best talent, guys that are willing to work. It’s going to be fun.”

While Texas A&M holds the national lead, Texas is a close second with 12 commitments. The Longhorns landed five more 2012 football commitments over the weekend, following their second and final junior day. They landed West Brook (Beaumont, Texas) DE Caleb Bluiett, Humble (Texas) DT Paul Boyette, Harker Heights (Texas) OL Camrhon Hughes, Skyline (Dallas) LB Peter Jinkens and DeSoto (Texas) DB Bryson Echols.

“I’m real excited and I’m just glad it’s over now, because I can just focus on getting better,” Jinkens told Sporting News on Sunday after committing. “I didn’t go there knowing that (an offer was on the table). I got to personally talk to (Texas head coach) Mack Brown and he offered me. It was a great honor.”

So far, QB Connor Brewer of Scottsdale (Ariz.) and WR Thomas Johnson of Dallas are considered Texas’ top pickups, while WR Jaevon Richardson of Baytown (Texas) is arguably the Aggies’ top recruit.

The Aggies’ most recent pickup was a nice one. Late last week they landed Mike Matthews (6-foot-3, 250 pounds) out of Elkins (Fort Bend, Texas)—the third Matthews brother in a long line of standout offensive linemen who have picked the Aggies. Kevin Matthews played center for Texas A&M before going to the NFL, while 2010 Sporting News Top 100 member Jake Matthews started as a true freshman last fall for the Aggies at right tackle. They are the sons of former NFL player and current Tennessee Titans assistant coach Bruce Matthews.

RB excited about future with Tide
    Remember having to wait for Christmas presents as a kid? Well just imagine being a high school football player who will have to endure one full season and 18 months before he gets to join his future teammates in college.

It’s excruciating—especially when that team you’re going to play for is being mentioned as a possible national title contender this fall, and you can’t play there yet because you’re still a junior in high school.

Welcome to the life of Kenyan Drake, a running back out of Powder Springs (Ga.) who committed to Alabama this month. For the record, he’s pulling his hair out in anticipation of starting his college career in September 2012.

“I think they will once again be pushing for a spot in the national championship,” Drake told Sporting News. “They lost some great players but they aren’t shy when it comes to getting everybody on the field so the others behind the starters are just as prepared to play in the SEC. … It really is tough to wait, but it also helps to know that I have a big prize I’m going after at the moment and that’s winning a state championship.”

He can’t wait to play for Nick Saban.

“He’s a great, respectable guy and he might seem intimidating in a sense but really I feel very comfortable when I speak with him,” Drake said. “That was a main reason why I chose Alabama.”

Quick hit
    Texas and Texas A&M aren’t the only two programs that have been busy lately. Tennessee landed a nice running back over the weekend, thanks to its own version of junior day. Coach Derek Dooley landed his first 2012 commitment when Imani Cross, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound power back out of Gainesville (Ga.) picked the Volunteers, according to Rivals.com.

Most commitments
    (BCS schools)

14: Texas A&M

12: Texas

9: Alabama

7: Miami

6: Florida State

5: Florida, LSU and Ohio State

4: BYU, USC

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-27/texas-ams-2012-class-leads-the-nation-with-14-recruits-texas-nabs-five-more#ixzz1FLvivQJS

Comment

I can think of alot of words to describe Saban but I dint think respectable would be among them.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

it is funny that a few weeks ago, there was an article about Texas' recruiting and how they need to better and that has been the problem lately. Maybe it just shows that locking in guys in February isn't the best approach... and maybe, just maybe, those rankings are very subjective. I mean, it's not like Universities are offering big money to these guys to do it for them...
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Info coming out on Oregon's situation, a couple huge recruits (5 stars) at the center of the investigation; Lache Seastruck RB & DeAnthony Thomas WR. Both kids that could've went anywhere they wanted and ended up at Oregon of all places...

Dior Mathis CB played for one of the 7-on-7 teams that is run by a guy (Baron Flenory) who received close to 30k from Oregon...

Not a good time to be a Duck. This along with USC's situation is going to hurt the Pac 12 come time they negotiate their TV deal (expires after '11 I think)...

re: USC - Them taking 30+ recruits this year is really going to hurt them in the long run. This HUGE class is going to be followed by a couple of REALLY small (10 - 13 recruits) classes. When those really small classes ('12 & '13) are upperclassman ('15, '16) is when USC is really going to suffer the affects on the field. Lane Kiffin will be long gone by then.
          Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6179423

Comment

Wonder who turned them in..

Comment

Funny that the ESPN commercial featuring their mascot was run before the video of the story on the Ducks.

Comment

I have no sympathy for programs that walk a tightrope with NCAA rules. One gust of wind, and down they go. As my cartoon hero "Super Chicken" used to say, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it" ...
                  I put my phone on "airplane" mode, and now its in a holding pattern over Atlanta

Comment

After the Auburn fiasco, why would any team not pay player's handlers? They are obviously not going to get in trouble. (at least if they are in teh SEC I guess)
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Comment

double post
                        Last edited by entropy; March 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

The NCAA enforcement leads me to believe it is better to cheat than be clean. As long as you don't get too brash about it.. as long as you don't improve too quickly.. you'll be fine.

Hate to say it but until it's members demand more or are willing to walk away, it will only get worse.

Comment

Did you guys see that UConn lost 1.8M going to the fiesta bowl? Most of that had to do with only selling something like 2-3K worth of tickets.

I know there were more Uconn fans present. Saw them on TV. But when tickets are more expensive going through the school than online or from the bowl, it is a problem. Schools probably need to address that with the bowls.

Comment

SEC coaches defend oversigning..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...187357370.html

Comment

Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                                Info coming out on Oregon's situation, a couple huge recruits (5 stars) at the center of the investigation; Lache Seastruck RB & DeAnthony Thomas WR. Both kids that could've went anywhere they wanted and ended up at Oregon of all places...
                                Yeah...it's not like Oregon played for a national championship recently, or anything. Or have one of the most exciting offenses in the nation...oh wait...they did, and do...nevermind. :-D

That said, I don't think much is going to come of that investigation, from what I've read. I mean, it was actually on their payroll. If there was really something shady, I'd think they would have tried to hide it a bit better.
                                What's the difference between an OSU grad and a park bench? A park bench can support a family of four.

Comment

Working...
                                X