This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's how I recall it too.

Make no mistake -- I would like linesman to catch on to the spirit of compromise, but this place does benefit from the iron fist, I guess in a way that the Pistons forum would have over the years.

Comment

• The Tiger's group by then had become more and more "clickish"; while there was still a good core group n the Tiger Forum, there were some there that got pretty childish and set up a parallel "secret" forum that was pretty exclusive and was there largely to mock some of those who were in the main group. Pretty much junior-high type behavior, and I think that this was one of the big reasons while that group somewhat disintegrated over the last few years. Remnants of that group still exist as "Tigersclubhousegang.com, but the place is all but dead. Many of them have set up a facebook group, but even that one is a far cry from what the Worldcrossing Tiger's Forum used to be in its heyday.
      Actually I seem to recall the schism really started in the Tiger Forum over censoring threads or removing them. There were two divirgent thoughts on content. Some wanted Just sports, with a major emphasis on baseball obviously, and others backed a more open community with a free flowing discussion and no topics off limits. Politics in particular was a very devisive subject. One of the Mods took the unheralded step of removing the politics thread because they felt it spilled over too often. That's when the non-censorship forum started and the sisters clique really showed their influence. There are some really good people in that group but some of them can be real tools when they get going together. They are expecially childish and celebrate when people leave. Their mockery of Kstat and others stuck out as unpleasant to me.

I started with the old Wing forum on the freep. I would lurk and once in a great while post on the other sports forums there. The Michigan Boating forum was taken over by a group of red wingers as the social extension of that forum when it got a little churlish. Those both migrated to world X but they had really fizzled after a while. Clayton's period embracing the nazis was an unusual segment in the death spiral. I drifted over to the Tiger forum and stayed there for several years till I got fed up with the sisters. JD and CGVT talked me into the Lions forum and you guys came right after me. I am primarily a Lions poster so I have little ownership stake in this one but I do enjoy the discussion for the most part. The Michigan Ohio rivalry colors the forum as would be expected but sometimes it seems more playground level than clever.

My own take on the whole thread title controversy is as follows. Ultimately it's Liney's call as he puts up with a ton of crap to keep this place ointed in one general direction. As to the title, I'm not happy to see a "to hell with Michigan" title on the U-M forum. But since my ownership stake is low here, I didn't voice an opinion till now. I just thought it was very odd.
      However, when I start a thread, and once the title has been in play, I get irritated when someone decides they should alter my title. Common courtesy is to at least suggest it to the starter and see if they agree. This has happend a few times in the Lions forum and I think it blows.

So to sum up how conflicted I am here?
      ND thread title = Bad
      Altering it to make fun of ND = Worse (even though I agree with the sentiment)
      Censoring threads outright = Worst (not that it has happened in this case)
      Starting my own thread on ND Poultry = Good
      Last edited by Tony G; May 21, 2013, 06:27 AM.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Trading Chauncey Billups was a massive head scratcher, what did that allow them to do sign Gordon & Villalaneua (?); two of the worst FA signings this decade... Joe D probably chose the wrong one of Rasheed Wallace & Mehmet Okur to keep... Darko? I dont' find much fault in that one, tough to know if a guy is going to put in the immense amount of extra work to be an all-star or a guy who takes his summers off as vacations; Darko was the latter who showed up every fall worse than he was the previous season...

Tayshaun Prince peaked in about his 3rd year, I said as much back then and always wanted Joe D to cash him (along with extra stuff) for a Paul Pierce type...

Refs decided Lebron was going to win the Cavs vs Pistons series, Lebron couldn't commit a foul that series despite him pushing off, using his off arm, taking 3-4 steps, charging over opponents, etc. Worse officiated series I've seen including the Lakers vs Pistons in '88. After the Cavs series, I lost most any interest in the NBA and knew the NBA was trying to put Lebron on a pedestal.

Comment

• There's not enough hugging in this Forum?

Just change the Thread to "Cosmopolitan" Online Edition that should keep the manvaginas content.

Any other concerns, please send all spam to lineygoblue@gmail.com........ dearabby@stfu.com .
          Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 21, 2013, 02:46 PM.
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• LOL @ deleting. It's amazing.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ha! I can still read what you just deleted, Talent. Have you taken your pamprin and inserted a clean tampon today?

Comment

• Believe it or not, The Prime was once censored then banned at oddly enough "Talent's Something" montage by a mormonic monitor.

As a sober trier of fact and not fiction, once Talent had reviewed the "transgression", I was quickly reinstated with all rights, privileges and responsibilities bestowed upon most reasonable posters..... just sayin'.
                Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 21, 2013, 05:45 PM.
                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I'm just doing it to get his goat.

Any day now, I'll be able to start a farm.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• or a dating service for buckeyes...
                    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Hey, there's an idea too ...

... I could probably get as rich as OP, .. and buy me one of those neat boats ...

Comment

• Still, just amazing. LOL.

I'm so feared and so right that my posts have to be deleted or edited. LOL.

Comment

• Loved your summary Rob. I too started with the Freep Forum and wish I had a list of the posters of that era. There were some really good ones. I remember comments going as far back as the NC days in '97. Liney (Linesman) was the authority and housemother back then and still is today. He has had an uncanny ability to sniff out discussions that will become toxic before things get out of hand. And always in a diplomatic way.
                          We had some pretty heated political discussions before Liney wisely called them to a halt. But they were for the most part respectful and enlightening.

Currently we seem to have a smaller core group but it does not lack in quality. This is the only place I go every day for my sports fix.

I wonder if anyone has a list of some of those old posters' names. I attempted one a few years ago but it was far from complete.

Comment

• Additional thought:

From the various subtle intellectual references and the wide vocabulary of many posters it is obvious we have a highly educated and knowledgeable group here. Combine this with our love of sports and we have truly enlightening and satisfying discussions.

Comment

• I'm so feared and so right
                              You make this so easy. Its like shooting fish in a barrel
                              Last edited by lineygoblue; May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Your actions speak so much louder. LOL.

BTW, isn't time for you to get back to your "put upon" forum mod routine? Hilarity.

Comment

Working...
                                X