Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The people who don't post here are actually valuable, Hack. We need to do everything we can to get them to post again.

:::Sits back and waits for ol whatshisname to rejoin us:::

Comment

• DSL, you should have a stroke.

One trait that should be required for moderators: thick skin.

Sure...you've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Know when to walk away and certainly know when to run.

You should never count your money while sitting at the keyboard, there likely will be time enough for counting when the posting is done.
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I just dropped in to see what condition the forum's condition is in.

Comment

• [ame]http://youtu.be/od_6M8cFdUA[/ame]
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Before the announcement, I will chirp in.

Liney, I think you have done a yeoman's job as a mod. This is much the same as trying to herd cats. I applaud both your volunteering for this function and your performance of those duties.

My own thoughts about doing the job as a mod. These are merely thoughts to you or anyone else that does the job. If there is any truth in any of these, feel free to use it. Otherwise if it doesn't apply, let it slide.

If you ask for people's opinions, be prepared for a degree of nonsense, some crass or vulgar reponses and also indifference.

More often than not, having a thick skin will benefit you. Even if someone does say something about ho wyou are doing the job, let it go. I would imagine this is much the same as reffing a game.

Good mods are like good refs. Usually, as long as there are no shenanigans from the combatants, if you didn't notice the ref they did a good job.

Call the major infractions, try to avoid the ticky-tack calls.

Don't let the place get out of hand, much the same as you would hopefully call a game

Lastly, don't expect validation or reward for doing it. You may actually get it from those that notice but chances are just as strong you will only hear squawks about the calls you do make. Make the calls anyway, know you did your best and take satisfaction from a job well done. If there was a way to get it better, correct it if possible, otherwise do better next time.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Linesman, Rob, you have email.

Tony ..... great post.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I ran a forum for 8 or 9 years that had tons of traffic. It can be as straight-forward or as difficult as you want to make it.

I had two rules. First, no spamming with massive posts that would make it impossible to read a thread (it's odd that this had to be a rule, but whatever). Second, there were no other rules.

That's it. It was a piece of cake, and I'd guess my forum had well over 500,000 posts and included a politics thread that makes anything here look like child's play.

If you're going to enforce a code of conduct, good luck. Especially one that prohibits calling a post "moronic". It will also, as discussed above, lead to massive double-standards (Stan, lol) and endless bitching.

Sensible requests are almost always honored (I, for example, refrain from using "retard" per request and, frankly, for good reason).

That this drama is still playing out is just silly. Really silly.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ......... I am rather enjoying that you are the focus of it though.

It's good to watch the tribulations of osu fans. Heh.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What can I say, I get under his thin skin. Heh.

Comment

• I'd add , "never run with scissors". ...it's just a good rule.
                      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Liney has info we've not privy too, he's had contact with more than a few former members that have told him reasons why they've left...

Personally, they likely just needed thicker skin. Yet the constant attacks/bashing against our beloved University can be hard to take when you take so much pride and love our University as some of us do. I'm fine with whatever liney decides, whether that is the status quo, put the Ohio fans in their cage of their own discussion, implement a card type system, ban everyone but himself or nuke the entire forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                          I'd add , "never run with scissors". ...it's just a good rule.
                          ..... and, don't put anything in your ear bigger than your elbow.

Use no more than three sheets of toilet paper.

Comment

• Mr Buchanan

You have an e-mail
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Ok, .. here goes.

I've thought it over for a few days, and I’m staying.
                              Going forward, these are MY forum rules under which I will moderate,
                              but first some clarifications:

There are now three "super" moderators.
                              They are me (The Lead), Jeff Buchanan and Rob F.
                              If you were on the list before, you are not anymore.
                              No hard feelings, I just want to keep it simple.

Let’s set a few things straight. I became "The Lead" moderator the
                              first time back in the old FREEP days, when the forum creator "Timmy"
                              wanted out of the position. This was back in 1996/7, if I recall
                              correctly. So, for the last 16 years, I have been the "lead" moderator
                              in the Michigan forum, in the various places where it’s landed.

I mention this just so everyone knows where I'm coming from, and how
                              long I've been at this. MANY times, I have asked the other mods for
                              advice, direction, and to even over-rule me if they felt I was out of
                              line. EVERY TIME I have offered to step aside, I've been told to stick
                              around. So, that's why I'm still here.

My style of moderation: I've asked the contributors here to first
                              remember its a MICHIGAN forum, and its a place for MICHIGAN fans to
                              come and vent their spleen, cry, laugh, moan, scream, ... whatever it
                              takes to make them feel better. Come here and celebrate when we win,
                              and scream with frustration when we lose. Blame the refs, blame the
                              conference, .. blame OBAMA. All I've asked is for everyone to deal
                              civilly with each other. No personal attacks.

Regarding how I deal with rival fans: You have a different set of
                              rules because, after all, this IS a MICHIGAN forum.
                              Because I am
                              generally a good guy, the ohio, neb and ND threads stay. I've always
                              liked the idea of having a thread for our rivals. Come and post
                              whatever you like there or any where else in the forum.

But ..... If you enter a post that pisses me off, I'm going to delete
                              your post. Secondly, if you piss me off too much, I will ban your ass.
                              I'll ban any other "character" you come back as, as well. If you
                              complain in a forum post about me deleting your posts, I’ll delete
                              that too.

For all our rivals, whether you continue to post at this
                              forum or not is your choice. And let me be perfectly clear to our ohio
                              posters who have been the focus of my anger recently. I don’t care if
                              any of you stay or leave. Be forewarned that I will be especially intolerant of
                              any demeaning posts you make about Michigan or Michigan fans.

For the MICHIGAN fans here, if you don’t like the rules for our rival
                              fans who post here, tough. If you complain about them, I’ll delete
                              those posts. We don’t need that trashing up the forum. Talk about
                              football. If you absolutely must gripe about something .. email me.

For everyone: "The line" (as in "crossing the line") for deleting a post will be
                              whatever I say it is. There won't be any warnings. I'm done with trying to run
                              the forum in a way that pleases ALL. From now on, I'll run it how it pleases ME.

Thank you.
                              Yer Pal in Maize and Blue brotherhood
                              Liney
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• ohio posters -- plural...lol....

Just delete the OSU thread already. "Come post what you like, but if it pisses me off, I delete it -- and especially anything that demeans M"...

LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X