Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparty being Sparty.

Comment

• What is he kidding, that dinner + movie is $80-100?

Dinner at Cottage Inn for 2: $40
      2 Movie tickets : $20
      Popcorn + 2 drinks: $15

That's $75 right there.

Comment

• Two student tickets at the Quality 16 theatre in AA: $14 (Large Popcorn/2 drinks surely under $20)

Large Pizza (3 toppings) at Cottage Inn with two drinks + tax: Approximately $23

That's $57 total.

But that's beside the point as I then think the argument is then what type of lifestyle should the payment reflect if payers were to be payed. We probably should add cab fare into the dating costs listed above as these athletes probably do not have a car. Maybe they could go dutch and save half the costs.

I am in the camp of those against paying athletes. I obviously think they are rewarded sufficiently through their scholarship and all that entails. In my opinion they are paid quite well for whatever revenue their "labor" helps the university to generate.

Comment

• Jamie... That is in AA. Now try going to school in LA or Chicago or Seattle...

I believe if you give the kids a little more so they can be more like other college kids than there will be less athletes asking for handouts. That is my point of view on this.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Give me a break. No college kid spends $100 on a date. Not even $50.

The narcissistic ego cases with a sense of entitlement will still get their money. $2,500 a year is no match for sports cars, jobs for parents, gold chains, etc.
            Last edited by Hannibal; May 21, 2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• hanny.. nobody said it was. a QB looking for 200K will still look for 200K. that's not the point.

Comment

• The problem is that full side scholarships don't cover every school expense, there is some expenses that these kids can't afford, not to mention clothing and other necessary 'living' expenses. That figure is estimated at $2500-$5000.

Comment

• From what I read, an average student is having a tough time getting a job with the current economic times. Are there not student loans available?

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
                    From what I read, an average student is having a tough time getting a job with the current economic times. Are there not student loans available?

Michigan fans and their loans... ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      hanny.. nobody said it was. a QB looking for 200K will still look for 200K. that's not the point.
                      Given that we are having this discussion precisely because of athletes looking for 200K, I would say that it's exactly the point.

Comment

• I disagree. They're not interested in solving that scenario any differently than they do today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                          Give me a break. No college kid spends $100 on a date. Not even $50.
                          Clearly you knew different kids in college than I did.

And like Ent said, try living in LA. A movie ticket in LA is around $12-14. Hell, a popcorn at a movie is $8-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                            ......not to mention clothing and other necessary 'living' expenses......
                            Just wondering if we have any nude athletes walking around campus and if the dating scenario costs being discussed would be "other 'living' expenses.

Comment

• How can you cry proverty for players when at o-lie-o they are buying cars?

Comment

• As with most things Jim Delaney promotes there is probably a hidden agenda in the idea of providing B10 Scholarship athletes a "stipend" to cover the "cost of attendance."

Somewhere out there in the land of litigation there is a case pending (I could not find a reference in a cursory search) wherein a scholarship athlete is suing over the inequity between what "full ride" academic scholars receive, which includes a cost of attendance stipend, and what athletes on scholarship receive. The contention is that it is inequitable for schools to pay a stipend to one group and not another. The case is probably going to fail on the grounds that the NCAA governs athletes while it does not in the case of academic scholars and this is going to be deemed OK.

Regardless, Delaney is touching on the underlying premise of the lawsuit and I do not think he is totally out to lunch on it as many commentators and Internet posters contend he is.

Second, Delaney favors the mega conference model for CFB and abhors the little guys trying to muscle in and gain a share of the revenue pie generated by the the premier conferences .... don't think Delaney is a big fan of CFB equity when it comes to the Bowling Greens, Marshalls and Bose States of the lesser conferences.

osu AD gene smith basically said, if you can't afford to pay a stipend to your scholarship athletes then don't ...... IOW, form your own division, play among yourselves and leave us big boys alone. Delaney is likely to have sent smith on a mission to make this public statement.

Here's a quote on the subject from another source:

That could ultimately lead to a split of the Football Bowl Subdivision. Conferences that can afford to follow suit will do so to remain competitive. If mid-major conferences can't afford to follow suit, schools in those leagues who want to compete will be forced to join major conferences. Schools that don't would likely be forced to drop back to FCS or, if there are enough of them, perhaps create a new NCAA classification.

I think there's a lot more to this notion Delaney is getting hammered for than one might assume at first glance at it.
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 22, 2011, 09:19 PM.
                                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X