X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    1) The Old South thing is horseshit.

2) Lack of pro teams has some basis.

But there is a huge anti-SEC perception by fans of teams in the SEC. It perhaps bolsters the circle-the-wagon mentality of some SEC fans. But it really happens at all the P5 conferences.

You can take Bama's game with Sparty. I know many B1G fans of other schools who consider MSU a mortal enemy, but were loudly and passionately rooting for the boys in green. One of my best friends is a surgeon from M. You would have thought he was a lifelong Spartan. There can be no mistake. That is a version of the "SEC!" mentality.

Only cause people are tired of Bama... Msu vs OU would have been a different story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
      If you have relatives in the south, you'd realize the Dr. is very accurate.

I live in Atlanta. Maybe the rural places are like what you guys have imagined, none of the cities are.
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I don't think you will find a difference in passion between fans at Nebraska or OSU and the SEC for their teams. I agree with AA on that... But won't you won't find is the passion for the BIG that SEC programs have for the SEC. I would rather see our hated rivals mocked and humiliated than worry about my conference reputation. Period. That is the way it's always been and should be...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'm of the belief, that the better Nebraska, Penn State, Illinois, Purdue, etc. perform, the better you look, when you do play them. That is the advantage of a strong conference, your wins are more valuable and losses less damaging. Perception of strength is even more valuable than actual reality.

Comment

• Perception of conference strength is huge when it comes to playoff selection. This year's bowl season will carry over into next fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
              I live in Atlanta. Maybe the rural places are like what you guys have imagined, none of the cities are.
              Has your family lived in the South for generations? Those are the people I'm talking about. Not transplanted northerners who live in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville.

Comment

• It still doesn't matter one lick. People like to argue about conferences and try to validate it saying it matters to crooting and matchup with rankings. But it really doesn't do that. If it has any bearing on recruiting it is negligible. Players don't commit to the conference.

The Big Ten went through a long stretch where they weren't very good, yet they weren't left out of any bowls. The 2006 Michigan team had an argument to be in that championship game, but it was borderline argument.

The way it is set up now, if you have one loss or no losses and win your conference, you have a great shot to go to the 4 team playoff. That is how it should be, it limits these tedious arguments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Has your family lived in the South for generations? Those are the people I'm talking about. Not transplanted northerners who live in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville.

I don't see it either.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• At-large spots for NY6 bowls that went to Ohio State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Florida State, how were those spots decided?

Comment

• Off topic but thread related:
                      Penn State has made a comeback to make their game vs Georgia interesting.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                        At-large spots for NY6 bowls that went to Ohio State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Florida State, how were those spots decided?

CFP polls with a spot for one group of 5 guaranteed.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          I don't see it either.
                          So southerners' pride in their region and defiance of the outside world is no greater than those in other part of the country?

Comment

• When you have more than anecdotal evidence you may return.
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              So southerners' pride in their region and defiance of the outside world is no greater than those in other part of the country?

Yeah. It's just not a thing. I can't tell you the last time I have heard a colleague say something southern-centric.

"Well, Jim, You seen the quarterlies?"

"Sure, Tom, and while they could be better, I would like to say we live in the best region in the country!"

"Concur, Jim. Oh, and I hate the goddamn Yankees!"

"Me too, Tom. Me too...Wanna get a whisky and talk about how the South will rise again?"

"You got it, Jim.

[EXITS TOGETHER, SINGING]

wish I were in the land of cotton....
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 2, 2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• AA- So you believe the South's regional identity is no stronger than anywhere else in America?

Comment

Working...
                                X