No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent you should be ashamed of yourself. Disbar yourself immediately.

Why do you hate kids?
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• As bad as it is to say, the only reason this story gets traction is because there is a dead kid here. Within a few minutes of showing heat troubles (beyond the normal scope for a day like that) the coaches should have been attuned and sat the kid down and called the EMT.

A valid question is why there was not Emergency Medical Staff at the practice to begin with? Practicing in the heat and humidity that day (and how it is for a lot of days this time of year in Maryland) should have been a no brainer to have some EMTs at the practice for just a situation like this. You have to keep these guys hydrated and make sure they are not getting overheated, because when heat related issues set in it gets real bad real quick.

When I worked in the prison....we had a kettle row in the kitchen right next to the ovens. On days when the vents would not work (about 1/2 the time) so you would have a lot of heat and steam flooding the kitchen. Those days I made sure on kettle row, for my cooks, there was a pitcher or two of water, kool aid, lemonade etc. there for them to drink (the food service director had a huge problem with that) because I did not want anyone to faint or worse on the job. I considered it my responsibility to make sure that the inmates I was in charge of did not have get into a heat type of health problem. There were times I ordered them to sit down away from kettle row for a few minutes. The same responsibility resides with the coaches.

Durkin is not going to survive this deal at Maryland, and he might be toxic for at least a couple years after this is all litigated out. Hopefully, he learns from this and becomes a better person because of it. Amazing that your life can change because you missed one of the simplest and easiest things to do.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• He's a DC now.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
            He's a DC now.
            I thought he left UM to be the HC at Maryland didn't he?
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• After this he'll be...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                As bad as it is to say, the only reason this story gets traction is because there is a dead kid here. Within a few minutes of showing heat troubles (beyond the normal scope for a day like that) the coaches should have been attuned and sat the kid down and called the EMT.

A valid question is why there was not Emergency Medical Staff at the practice to begin with? Practicing in the heat and humidity that day (and how it is for a lot of days this time of year in Maryland) should have been a no brainer to have some EMTs at the practice for just a situation like this. You have to keep these guys hydrated and make sure they are not getting overheated, because when heat related issues set in it gets real bad real quick.

When I worked in the prison....we had a kettle row in the kitchen right next to the ovens. On days when the vents would not work (about 1/2 the time) so you would have a lot of heat and steam flooding the kitchen. Those days I made sure on kettle row, for my cooks, there was a pitcher or two of water, kool aid, lemonade etc. there for them to drink (the food service director had a huge problem with that) because I did not want anyone to faint or worse on the job. I considered it my responsibility to make sure that the inmates I was in charge of did not have get into a heat type of health problem. There were times I ordered them to sit down away from kettle row for a few minutes. The same responsibility resides with the coaches.

Durkin is not going to survive this deal at Maryland, and he might be toxic for at least a couple years after this is all litigated out. Hopefully, he learns from this and becomes a better person because of it. Amazing that your life can change because you missed one of the simplest and easiest things to do.
                Last edited by Kstat; August 12, 2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• I'm still not sure we have all the facts. I've not been drilling down on this story like I probably should be doing to post this thought. But I know that heat stroke is a big deal and sports teams at every level are really aware of the risks. If Durkin, as it appears to be alleged, didn't insure proper resources and training was in place for the work-out, he should be held responsible and consequences should be appropriate. But, I can't belief he just blew all this stuff off. I'd want to wait and see what any kind of official report on the matter is made available to the public.

As far as the ESPN report goes, fuck them. I don't trust their reporting any further than I can throw the kitchen sink.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• At every UA practice, we have a physician and 2 medics. Every single practice. The physician has the authority to pull or sit any player at any time for any reason. I assumed it was like that at any major school.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I can't imagine it isn't. In GA, at the HS level, the attention to this risk is huge. Lat year, I did sport PE's for plenty of HS kids. The parents brought in the packet that contained the part I had to sign saying the kid was physically prepared to practice and play. The packet, uniform across all GA HSs had all kinds of details about practices in the heat and the safety precautions in place as well as detailed d information about how parents could recognize symptoms of dehydration and heat stroke as well as concussions. We did EKGs but those weren't required. Any rhythm abnormality or suggestion of left ventricular systolic or diastolic dysfunction prompted a referral to cardiology and a report from that clinician that the kid could play before I'd sign off my part.

My point is, I just can't believe Maryland didn't have appropriate medical support and coach training in place. Like I said, I don't trust ESPN for researching this like they should before making these claims that the kid who died didn't get the medical attention he should have. Whatever. I just hate the rush to judgement shit that goes on these day.
                      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• As far as the ESPN report goes, fuck them. I don't trust their reporting any further than I can throw the kitchen sink.
                        Correct, JB.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It's a wonder some of us didn't die. South Louisiana heat and humidity. Given a huge (1gram) salt tablet before practice and were told to stay away from water. If we did put water in our mouth, we were told to spit it out because the belief was it would make us cramp. That, plus being made to run until you threw up.

And 'concussion' wasn't a word anyone used. You just said "he got his bell rung" when someone got knocked woozy and you let him take a play or two off. You got a forearm shiver every play on the OL (it was legal), and there was no targeting rule when you hit the skill players. The gear wasn't nearly as good, either.
                          Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 13, 2018, 07:41 AM.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Damn shame.

Comment

• Damn shame I didn't die? Heh. Agreed.

Comment

• My father-in-law played in Arkansas in the 60s and describes the same regimen. Of course, players weren't keeling over and dying every other practice because the culture wasn't "toxic."

Comment

Working...
                                X