No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We also didn't have a medic, RN, or MD on site for practices. Our "trainer" was some 10th grader with asthma who was too frail to play but still wanted to be a part of the team.

But no worries. Back in those days we had GIGANTIC shoulder pads which protected us from all injury.

Truly the dark ages compared to now. I think that's why it's so shocking when someone dies now.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• It IS shocking and the incident should be thoroughly investigated. But there doesn't have to be a some sort of "larger cause" to it.

Personally, I miss the giant arm pads/hand pads that essentially allowed you to club people in the head without much fear of damage to yourself.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "Whatever. I just hate the rush to judgement shit that goes on these day."

As do I. It's the result of the internet. Everyone wants to be first with the story.

AA your description of high school football tracks my experience playing HS football for four years. I got knocked unconscious in practice on a fake punt play when I got my head on the wrong side of the runner. Coach set me out on the sidelines for the next few plays. Your description of the use of salt tablets and "don't drink the water because you might cramp " was the norm n the sixties. (We had dishes of salt tablets on the table when doing two a days in the heat.

Many people believe that I am the person I am today (hated by many including Hack) because of such "barbaric treatment" as a youth.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'll represent the class

Comment

• Heh. Excellent.

Oh, and the glorious shoulder pads of yesteryear.

8c8c7c16-a59f-4a88-8961-cd672f7b0895_lg.jpg

I think they started getting small again in the early 2000's.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Don't forget the giant hip pads. Loved those.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• And full thigh and knee pads and the tail pad that was so big you looked like you had taken a dump in your panrs.

Do any skill players where knee pads anymore?

Comment

• tyrone-wheatley-michiganjpg-1885fa1bce9ffa40_large.jpg

Comment

• 82207_h.jpg?itok=PX1iWM-m.jpg

Comment

• e-j-junior-222be541-e2ae-4705-bd79-7b92870b4fb-resize-750.jpg

Comment

• took the grandkid out Saturday afternoon to get various things for school including football gear--his gloves were 39 bucks --hes a wr/lb. this piece of gear his parent bought
                          The Nike™ Men's Hyperstrong Bottom Core Short is made for football play and features strong fabric construction.

Comment

• Here kitty kitty kitty
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• anyway they have the same thing for his jersey--built in lightweight pads that cover everything the rest of the traditional pads don't cover.

grandkid is a 10th grader playing varsity this year worked out like a demon all summer long 6'2 and 160lbs of chiseled muscle from a 5 day a week 3 hour a day conditioning/weight training

point is so is the rest of his team most weighting 180/200/220 etc etc. these kids are literally looking like brooks koepka at the age of 15/16/17

I'm not sure its good that this young they are putting this much effort into high school football

we spent an hour a week 3 days a week weightlifting for 4 weeks when I played hs ball--course that was nearly as far back as AA --

much of our offseason was spent playing sandlot ball which at times was much more fun and intense

anyway 15yo's don't need to be taking nsaids every day for sore backs and sore knees busting ass to become machines

I love playing football watching football but you get a different slant when its your kid or grandkid risking injury in a high velocity high contact world on Friday night and likely on Saturdays for some local college

Comment

• gee wiz I though you were off getting another body part replaced

Comment

Working...
                                X