No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Mallory died yesterday after complications from a fall. Won 2 MAC titles (at two different schools) and one Big 8 title at Colorado. Also gave Indiana its best era in modern history. Mallory had ties to a bunch of great coaches: played for Ara Parseghian, and was an assistant under Doyt Perry, Carmen Cozza (at Yale), and Woody Hayes before becoming a head coach for over 25 years

Bill Mallory, who coached at Colorado, Northern Illinois and Miami (Ohio) and is Indiana's all-time wins leader, has died at the age of 82.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I thought the same thing. I badly missed a blocking assignment in practice twice in a row. Some ridiculous Backside 5 Technique. I had just been named "All Parish" (a Parish is a Louisiana county). Coach put a piece of tape on my helmet that read "All Parish Dumbass". Had to wear it all week in practice. I am not saying such things are great, but (1) I wasn't a buttercup, and (2) I never-ever missed that assignment again.
        Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 11, 2018, 10:45 AM.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yeah, I mean even accounting for changes over the past half century, none of what I read seemed ridiculous . Weight room and conditioning workouts could get really brutal with lots of yelling and challenging of manhood and shit. And that was for HS football. Whatever. The world is changing and football culture is quickly becoming unacceptable.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

Comment

• Exactly.

Remember film day? Where they went over the game film? Fuck up on film and they would rewind and replay that shit 8 or 10 times belly laughing at your ass. Not sure we can do that anymore without having to provide a quiet space and a puppy to avoid triggering these players.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

• Oh, and going back to "All-Parish Dumbass" thing. We carried our gear home with us. It was just easier and it allowed us to get it to mom who could wash up everything (if the team manager washed it, you'd end up wearing some other guy's pants and jock. No bueno).

Anyway, dad saw the tape on my helmet. He asked about it and I told him. Did he (1) contact the local media (2) file a complaint with the school board or (3) laugh his ass off?

(hint: (1) and (2) are not the correct answers)

Comment

• The Marine Corps has done a very good job of quelling press reports over the years that recruits are routinely terrorized in boot camp. Sure, there's a difference between football and war fighting and maybe the press actually realizes this but the USMC has had recruits die. I can tell you that after that headline hit the wires ten or so years ago, there were changes and the press was lead around by the nose to seem them. The changes lasted about 6 months then back to terrorizing ensued. It's good for them ...... assuming you want to train soldiers to kill people.

Anyway, it sickens me that the everybody's a winner mentality has pervaded youth sports. That shit never happens in real life. The best part of getting demeaned because you fucked up or loosing a big game because you gave up then running stadium steps for practice next week until you puke is that it teaches life and the value of getting back up to do better next time after you fail.These lessons are being lost on the kids of parents or the adults that run a youth sports program when you adopt a mentality like this.
                    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Comment

• ........and we know what you state here are the facts?

I can only suppose in the Maryland case but the steps that are taken to protect athletes from injury due to the heat are significant. The real "complaint" in the ESPN piece is that there is a so called "toxic environment" with the football program at Maryland with players getting shouted at and humiliated. No one hear is saying that it's fine for players to die in football practice. That's another matter entirely and you can rest assured that Maryland officials will investigate the how and why of the players death and appropriate steps will be taken.

At least for me, that's the glass have full view I'm taking on that matter. With regard to "being nice" to football players during practice, I don't think that sort of thing is necessary at all for the reasons I've already posted.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Last edited by iam416; August 11, 2018, 12:21 PM.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            ........and we know what you state here are the facts?

I can only suppose in the Maryland case but the steps that are taken to protect athletes from injury due to the heat are significant. The real "complaint" in the ESPN piece is that there is a so called "toxic environment" with the football program at Maryland with players getting shouted at and humiliated. No one hear is saying that it's fine for players to die in football practice. That's another matter entirely and you can rest assured that Maryland officials will investigate the how and why of the players death and appropriate steps will be taken.

At least for me, that's the glass have full view I'm taking on that matter. With regard to "being nice" to football players during practice, I don't think that sort of thing is necessary at all for the reasons I've already posted.
                            he started having symptoms around 5pm and 911 was called around 6. In the meantime they attempted the usual ignorant barbaric forms of motivation, because that what asshole football coaches do instead of actually pondering that their player might actually have a serious medical issue.

Comment

• Last edited by Kstat; August 11, 2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• ::::grabs popcorn...this is getting good::::
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X