Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the Big Ten

For general discussion about the Big Ten, conference news and to discuss other programs without their own threads..
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

The Big Ten (12)
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

MSU and Iowa don't count..

Comment

March 19, 2011

Big Ten Hockey Announcement Expected Monday

By Inside College Hockey

Sources tell Inside College Hockey that on Monday the Big Ten will formally announce a six-team hockey conference, set to begin play in the 2013-14 season.

WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod would not confirm knowledge of the announcement, but said he anticipates the Big Ten will make it official early next week.

McLeod added that in preparation for a Big Ten conference, the WCHA has already spoken with athletic department officials from Minnesota and Wisconsin about some kind of schedule-sharing arrangement which would allow some of the league’s traditional rivalries with the Gophers and Badgers to continue. Nothing has been formally agreed upon yet.

“We’ve been proactive about it for quite a while now,” McLeod said, adding that he had a meeting with Gophers coach Don Lucia and Badgers coach Mike Eaves last September about an interlocking non-conference schedule between the Big Ten and WCHA.

A six-team Big Ten conference, made up of Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin, would mean 20 conference games, leaving plenty of room for non-conference scheduling. At least one former college player INCH spoke to on Saturday was exceedingly positive on the idea.

“I’m excited. I’ve heard about it for some time now through the alumni at Michigan and I’m really, really excited about it,” said Minnesota Wild forward John Madden, who played for the Wolverines. “It’s going to be fun to see Michigan play Minnesota a lot, and Wisconsin, the teams up this way. It’s going to be really fun.”

Comment

... makes you wonder if ND hockey doesn't join the big10. It would be a smart move on the bigten's part.

Comment

All or nothing, hockey might be the one exception the B10 makes.

Comment

might be a good way for ND fans to see what they're missing

Comment

BTW I wouldn't invite them for hockey just think its remotely possible the B10 does. I'd still say all or nothing and B10 hockey serves as another selling point to lure ND.

Comment

I doubt that Notre Dame would want to join for Hockey only. They could gain more prestige by staying with whatever is left of the CCHA, because they will be the dominant team. Guaranteed NCAA berth every year.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Winning the CCHA now (hardest hit hockey conference) will be like winning the Big East in football, not much prestige there.

Comment

Yep. The CCHA is in big trouble. UNO already left for the WCHA after last season and now they're set to lose 4 Big Ten schools. Miami and ND will dominate and probably be the only two schools who make the NCAAs.

Comment

I wonder if UNO may eventually be invited to join Big Ten Hockey, or if that would be too much of a stretch to be considered part of the Big Ten.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I'm guessing that would be a stretch. What I would like to see for Big Ten hockey long term is not to entice UNO or ND to join for the sake of having more teams but use the exposure and BTN revenue to convince other schools to start programs. There is no reason Illinois or NW shouldn't have a hockey program, IMO, with all the talent coming out of the Chicago area. In fact, I'm sure there are suitable arenas in Chicago that NW could call home without having to build their own facility. Keep it for Big Ten schools only.

Comment

Agree with Mike, B10 likely wants its current members to start-up hockey programs. Would like to see at least a couple more conference members.

Comment

I'm kind of sad to see the Big Ten break up the CCHA.

Comment

Working...
                              X