Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Mike Hart was a 3-star all the way until signing day. He came to Michigan and rewrote the books in rushing yards.

I dunno. I'm puzzled by this one, other than to conclude that we aren't getting B. Dunn.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Stole this from someone at MGoBlog:

"Sam Webb mentioned TE A.J. Williams moving to the OL, and DE Pharoah Brown moving to TE, and that scout.com has talked to both guys about making those moves. This could have a huge effect on the final spots in this class."
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
        That's a good question. Sam Webb was really trumpeting Drake Johnson. He was alo doing the same last year with Thomas Rawls. I don't think either of them are elite backs. Makes me wonder why Michigan can't seem to attract the top backs in the country anymore.
        Like dee hart?
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
          Interested to hear the opinions of people that have seen this kid play THIS season. What I've heard is he's a kid thats blossomed his senior season.
          This is what Ace wrote at mgoblog...

As a Pioneer grad, I hate to say this, but Johnson looked to me like a track athlete playing football, and not a player who should garner a BCS-level scholarship offer. His straight-ahead speed is very good, and that's all he needed against Bedford, but Johnson practically has to stop running entirely to make a cut—he really doesn't have any juke moves, instead choosing to bounce outside and run as fast as he can—and he also fumbled the ball three times (losing one) despite not taking any huge hits.
          While Johnson usually fell forward, he also tended to go down on first contact, and instead of taking on hits he'd try to spin off contact, even against smaller defenders. The only time he really fought for extra yards, he ended up fumbling—he often carries the ball away from his body and seems to forget about ball security when he's in traffic. Pioneer listed him at 6'1", 215, and Scout has him in that same range, but he looked closer to 5'11", 190 to me (comparing him to his teammates and using the same roster, so take that with a grain of salt). Johnson is a heck of a high school player, and he's tasked with being the entirety of the Pioneer offense, but I see him as a preferred walk-on at best for Michigan.

This guy has a Michigan scholarship, but 4* DT Tommy Schutt doesn't?

Comment

• Quick comment:

My guess is this is a total non-factor re Dunn. M needs RBs, period.

Dunn's decision will still come down to the severity of the sanctions and, perhaps even more importantly, whether Fickell is still at OSU. That's been the case for months. So, IMO, this offer has zero to do with Dunn and everything to do with added depth.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Quick comment:

My guess is this is a total non-factor re Dunn. M needs RBs, period. .
              No we don't. Or, at least, we don't need bodies. We need quality. Our depth chart for 2012 looks like this...

Fitz Toussaint
              Vincent Smith
              Stephen Hopkins (FB or TB)
              Justice Hayes
              Thomas Rawls
              Mike Cox
              Sione Houma (FB)

That's at least five scholarship tailbacks for 2012, plus one more guy who can slide into the position. There's no need to take anyone other than a blue-chipper.

Comment

• Does Dunn want or not want Fickell as HC?

Comment

• Dunn really likes Fickell (who, incidentally, is, by all accounts, a top shelf recruiter). The speculation is that he won't go to OSU if UM3 is there.

Dunn also formed close bonds with a number of players who would have been part of the OSU class but for the trainwreck. Some of those players -- Kalis and Stroebel, e.g. -- ended up at M. He doesn't have a strong bond with anyone currently in OSU's class. He does, apparently, have a really good relationship with Derrick Green, class of 2013, who will very likely sign with OSU.

So, suprisingly bad sanctions=M. Urban in Fickell out=M. Expected sanctions+Fickell still on staff=OSU. (I'll say this, too -- much speculation that Fickell would still stay if uber big name was hired). In general, OSU insiders, at least insiders on the site I pay for, are calling it 50/50.
                  Last edited by iam416; November 8, 2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Drake Johnson state:

327 carries
                    2757 yards
                    8.4 YPC
                    250.6 YPG
                    37 TDs

Pretty much never catches the ball.

Also, he was the state champion in the 110 meter hurdles this year and holds some national record in the 55 meter hurdles for the AAU, whatever that is.

This looks to me like a "you can't teach speed" recruit. Dude is a burner and the coaching staff hopes they can teach him the rest. I'm sure he will redshirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Dunn really likes Fickell (who, incidentally, is, by all accounts, a top shelf recruiter). The speculation is that he won't go to OSU if UM3 is there.

Dunn also formed close bonds with a number of players who would have been part of the OSU class but for the trainwreck. Some of those players -- Kalis and Stroebel, e.g. -- ended up at M. He doesn't have a strong bond with anyone currently in OSU's class. He does, apparently, have a really good relationship with Derrick Green, class of 2013, who will very likely sign with OSU.

So, suprisingly bad sanctions=M. Urban in Fickell out=M. Expected sanctions+Fickell still on staff=OSU. (I'll say this, too -- much speculation that Fickell would still stay if uber big name was hired). In general, OSU insiders, at least insiders on the site I pay for, are calling it 50/50.
                      Thanks the perspective from there. On this side, seems Dymonte Thomas is considered a big factor in the pals-in-class category.

Comment

• Brionte Dunn and Dymonte Thomas are cousins.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• On this side, seems Dymonte Thomas is considered a big factor in the pals-in-class category.
                          My sense is that Thomas is less influential than Kalis and Stroebel.

This is from Bill Greene, who is really conservative when it comes to insiders (this is a post and I wouldn't call it premium stuff, so I think it's ok to post here):

1- I do think it's probably a 50-50 thing, and I would see this as Michigan vs Ohio State, but the others should sure try to get him..............

2- There were a group of seniors that started bonding last year and another Brew Crew was headed to OSU. Guys like Murray, Roberts, Elflein, Lewis, Epitropoulos, Powell, Blake Thomas, Mike Thomas were not in that group.................

3- When OSU blew up, the super recruiting class blew up. A lot of them went to Michigan, a few scattered everywhere, and a few stayed with OSU (including Washington and Stanford). Brionte's friends ended up all over the board.

4- Had Ohio State stayed being Ohio State you cannot believe the class that was coming. And that doesn't include the national guys you might have been able to pick off with a ton of early 4 and 5-star commits.

5- Maybe that's why it's so hard for me to get excited about this class. I knew what was coming. But that's old news and nothing can be done about it now.

6- OSU has the home court advantage for Brionte and that is huge. That's home for him. But when he looks at the Michigan situation, he sees a more favorable depth chart, early playing time, young offensive linemen he thinks are really good, a stable coaching situation, recruits he knows better, etc.

Maybe this is heart vs head?
                          I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. It's pretty clear he wanted to play at Ohio State, but given the events that have transpired, he's a bit on the fence. In terms of opportunities, M is tremendous with depth chart + OL class. OSU's depth chart isn't nearly as favorable nor is it OL class, if you can even it call it an OL class.

Comment

• AJ Williams doesn't look like a tight end to me, always felt he was an OL...

Pharaoh Brown has been excellent at camps as a WR, you have to figure that would translate well to TE at the college level given his 6'6" frame. DE's are more valuable than TE's so I only like the move if he doesn't project as a very good DE... Strobel, Wormley, Ojemudia, Godin make it easier to move Brown to TE...

Comment

• Isn't the assumption that Wormely is probably headed inside too, and isn't that why we weren't interested in that 4-star DT?

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                                AJ Williams doesn't look like a tight end to me, always felt he was an OL...

Pharaoh Brown has been excellent at camps as a WR, you have to figure that would translate well to TE at the college level given his 6'6" frame. DE's are more valuable than TE's so I only like the move if he doesn't project as a very good DE... Strobel, Wormley, Ojemudia, Godin make it easier to move Brown to TE...
                                While good DEs are certainly more valuable than good TEs, a 6-6 guy who runs and catches like a WR could still be very valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X