Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Geezer, and why are we playing ND at South Bend? Last game was 2014 when ND blew out Michigan 31-0 in their stadium. In 2012 Notre Dame announced that it would exercise its option to end the rivalry after the 2014 season. Then they want to play again starting in in their place next year? >>> Michigan- "ok with us" (we have no say in this at all)

2 games in a row at ND? This is a joke, like everything else with this program.
    Last edited by WingsFan; January 24, 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
      ..... and why are we playing ND at South Bend?
      Dave Brandon.

He made a big deal announcement about resuming this "storied rivalry" in the waning months of his reign of terror as M's AD.

Most people, including myself, were not very enamored of this plan. Fuck ND was the common refrain.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I don't think that it was Brandon who resumed the rivalry. I believe that it was Manuel.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure Brandon was involved but maybe he got fired before he could conclude the negotiations.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I'm almost certain it was Swarbrick not being willing to deal with Brandon, and Manuel picked up the pieces. It appears Michigan isn't going to get off light for its high-level mismanagement. Years of dysfunction here. Can't say it's not deserved. It sure would be nice, though, if the institution learned to use its power. Stop getting screwed on home-and-away rotations, stop getting screwed by the conference (i.e. not getting more than 20 mins delay on arrival at the B10 tourney after the plane crash). One think Hoke got right is ``This is Michigan for chrissakes." It's a huge and powerful institution. It's odd the way it chooses to use that power.

Comment

• I've heard numerous times that Notre Dame is a bigger rival than MSU so the resumption of the rivalry made sense.

Comment

• There was some justification to say that a decade ago, but obviously no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                  I'm almost certain it was Swarbrick not being willing to deal with Brandon, and Manuel picked up the pieces. It appears Michigan isn't going to get off light for its high-level mismanagement. Years of dysfunction here. Can't say it's not deserved. It sure would be nice, though, if the institution learned to use its power. Stop getting screwed on home-and-away rotations, stop getting screwed by the conference (i.e. not getting more than 20 mins delay on arrival at the B10 tourney after the plane crash). One think Hoke got right is ``This is Michigan for chrissakes." It's a huge and powerful institution. It's odd the way it chooses to use that power.
                  Yup. Two times this decade, we have played two consecutive road games against big rivals (MSU in '13 and '14 and ND in '14 and '18 ). I'll bet that we are the only program in the country that has done this even once, much less twice.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; January 25, 2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Michigan is striving for the Most Magnanimous Rival award.
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• We lose with more honor than anyone outside of a military academy!

Comment

• There is an argument to be made about the committee and SOS. Alabama playing Mercer in November is fair game. But you guys haven't finished the season with 1 loss since you won the 1997 championship. You really haven't lost any chance at some playoff position because of a tough schedule. It's not my money, but playing tough out of conference opponents is more optimal even if it may theoretically cost you the #4 spot in the CFP in the long term future.

You can't very well complain about the OOC schedule of Wisconsin and then demand to mimic it. ND is your rival, you should play them. It burns me up that MSU has to wait 9 years to play them again and they maybe cost my Spartans a shot at the BCS championship game in South Bend in 2013.

Comment

• I think that there's such a thing as an optimal SOS. Not one that is super easy but not one that is super hard either. The move to nine conference games is going to make that balance harder to find, since you are replacing one opportunity for a tomato can with a conference foe. That leaves you with no room for interesting opponents if you play one OOC rivalry game. In our case, we could be setting ourselves up for some brutal years if we play ND in the same year that we play another Top 25 OOC team, and then play OSU, MSU, Penn State, and then some combination of Wisky, Iowa, and/or Nebraska. Next year we are projecting to have the toughest SOS in the country, and the only decent OOC team that we play is ND.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

talent knew this or knows it by now. So, fuck him.

Just for the record.. this is appropriate. thanks
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Is there anyone M is trying to sign for the 2nd NLOID? Or is more about holding on to Reese/hoping UGA doesn't want him?
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This is from Touch the Banner:

Jarrett Patterson – OT – Mission Viejo (CA) Mission Viejo: Patterson eliminated Michigan, narrowing it down to Notre Dame and UCLA.

Nicholas Petit-Frere – OT – Tampa (FL) Berkeley: Petit-Frere is a 6’6″, 272 lb. 5-star. He’s the #1 offensive tackle and #7 overall player in the 2018 class. An Under Armour All-American, he’s down to Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. I have very little confidence that he will be picking Michigan, but he’s kept everything close to the vest. He will be announcing and signing at 10:00 a.m. EST on Wednesday.

Otis Reese – LB – Leesburg (GA) Lee County: Reese has been committed to Michigan for a long time, since June of 2016 (LINK). He’s a 4-star, the #5 outside linebacker, and #87 overall. Despite his commitment to the Wolverines, the in-state Georgia Bulldogs have been making a strong push for him, and some Michigan insiders have even been indicating that this does not look good for the Wolverines.

Other uncommitted prospects:

William Barnes – OG – FL
                                Noah Boykin – CB – DC
                                Tyson Campbell – CB – FL
                                Jacob Copeland – WR – FL
                                Jashaun Corbin – RB – FL
                                Aashari Crosswell – S – CA
                                Andrew Cunningham – RB – FL
                                Shabazz Dotson – DT – TX
                                Kevin Doyle – QB – DC
                                Jermaine Eskridge – WR – FL
                                Michael Ezeike – TE – CA
                                Joseph Foucha – S – LA
                                Mario Goodrich – CB – MO
                                Olaijah Griffin – CB – CA
                                Dorian Hardy – DE – NJ
                                Marcus Jenkins – OT – AL
                                Lawrence Keys – WR – LA
                                Jeremiah Martin – DE – CA
                                Chris Oats – LB – OH
                                Jarrett Patterson – OT – CA
                                Justyn Ross – WR – AL
                                Rick Sandidge – DT – NC
                                Penei Sewell – OT – UT
                                Patrick Surtain, Jr. – CB – FL
                                Leonard Taylor – DE – OH
                                Isaac Taylor-Stuart – CB – CA
                                Michael Thompson, Jr. – DT – MO
                                Solomon Tuliaupupu – LB – CA
                                Jaylen Waddle – WR – TX
                                Rasheed Walker – OT – MD
                                Quin Williams – LB – GA
                                Isheem Young – CB – PA

So, I guess you could say that entire list are targets that M is interested. Commitable offers? There's no way everyone of them are and there's no one really on top of this that I'm reading.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a very unexciting NLOID day for M. I wonder if Harbaugh is going to do the Signing of the Stars thing again. Haven't heard anything and that's because the 2018 class is underwhelming and that may be an overstatement. Lots of swings and big misses.

Comment

Working...
                                X