X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat related to this topic...

Dee Hart is out for the 2011 season.

Comment

• Gant committed today. It's been a while since we've had a commitment. I was starting to jones.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Jarrod Wilson is in!

Per Mgoblog:

OH S Jarrod Wilson has pledged to become the fourth (and likely final) member of Michigan's defensive backfield for the 2012 recruiting class. His high school coach is former Michigan great Ricky Powers.

GURU RATINGS

Scout Rivals ESPN 24/7 Sports
        4*, #10 S,
        #146 Ovr 4*, 5.8,
        #13 S 4*, 80, #12 S 4*, 91, NR S
        The sites are just about in agreement on Jarrod's overall ability: He's in the 10-20 range among safeties (24/7 Sports only ranks 12 safeties, but it's fair to say he'd be one of the next couple), and outside the top 150 prospects in the nation. He's just outside the Rivals250, for what it's worth.

The premium sites also agree on his size, with a unanimous 190 pounds, and Rivals and Scout crediting his height at 6-2, while ESPN goes an inch shorter and 24/7 Sports an inch higher. That is really good size for a free safety, as long as he has the abilities to play on the back line. Let's find out if he does! We'll start the evaluations with ESPN:

Tall, well-built with good length and room to fill out. He flashes great range, particularly in deep coverage and good overall speed. Best attribute may be his reads and diagnosing skills. Rarely caught out of position, stays deep as the deepest and expertly splits twins set receivers. Consistently takes direct angles to the ball while keeping the pass in front of him.

This... this is super-positive, and will be a nice new trait for a Michigan safety in the past 6-7 years. It feels like a long time since there was a true ballhawk back there. A couple of their downsides of his game:

He will need to continue developing physically to play down in the box and he does not have elite speed and explosiveness -- but there are not many safety prospects with the positional intangibles of Wilson.

You'll see that physical play and laying big hits is consistently listed among his flaws. Evaluators also seem to agree that he doesn't quite have elite speed (though I'll take instincts and "good enough" speed over the reverse). His coach, former Wolverine Ricky Powers, confirmed the exceptional instincts and intelligence in an interview with Tom:

He's an extremely smart football player and a smart kid period. His football IQ is really high, he'll line everyone up on defense for us. We call him the quarterback of our defenses. He's probably going to be our starting quarterback going into camp, which I hope changes.

Duane Long evaluated him on Bucknuts, in calling him one of his "starters" from the state of Ohio at free safety:

This kid gets his hands on the ball so much on his film that it looks like he is playing wide receiver instead of safety. He reads the game so well. He has size and range. He is going to have to become a better tackler if he wants to be the player he can be.

Long has been even higher on Wilson in the past:

This is my dark horse for the safety who comes out of this class four years from now with the highest NFL rating. If a college coach came to me and said he played eight in the box alot and needed a centerfielder right in the middle of the field I would suggest Jarrod Wilson. He is fast and very athletic. He reads the game and reacts to the ball as well as any safety in the class. The best cover safety in the class. The best safety in the class on the ball. He needs to be a better tackler. The good news is he is a willing tackler. Never shies away from contact.

If he's a willing tackler, but not a good tackler, it seems he just needs to add more weight and technique, two things that can be developed. Long is scared of the Buckeyes having to face him on the field down the road, as his mention of NFL potential seems to suggest.

Wilson performed well at the Midwest Showcase, and left his coverage skills in no doubt ($, info in header). He joins Pharaoh Brown as Michigan commits who are just outside the Rivals 250, and he also barely missed The247 . His leaping skills are impressive ($, info in header). Dave Berk thinks he's too good with the ball in his hands to not try on offense and/or returns ($). In a video interview, Jarrod himself even says he has the skills necessary to play corner.

Long story short on Jarrod Wilson: Great measurables, and excels playing the pass in a deep zone. He has work to do if he wants to man up on slot receivers, and needs to work on playing the run and his tackling technique (from his video, embedded below, it seems he also needs to improve his angles to the ball carrier at times). Fortunately, a lot of his skills are innate, and he can be taught the parts of his game that are currently lacking.

Jarrod is also a great student. He has a near-4.0 GPA in high school, and plans to enroll early in college. He wants to major in kinesiology (and Michigan's program is among the best in the country).

OFFERS

Jarrod's other finalists were Penn State and Notre Dame, so he had all of the big regional offers aside from Ohio State. Also from the Big Ten, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan State had offered him. He also held offers from UConn, Pitt, Tennessee, and West Virginia, along with a few MAC offers. Strong academic schools played a role in his recruitment, and Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA, and Vanderbilt are examples of just that.

That's not exactly a murderer's row of high-level schools, but there are enough teams that recruit on a high level (Penn State and Notre Dame, especially) that his offer list is definitely a sign that he is indeed a strong player.

He originally planned to attend school with his teammate, WR Corey Smith, but Smith is ineligible to play high school football this fall, and will enroll at junior college instead, before moving on to Tennessee.

STATS

ESPN and Scout have differing ideas on his senior stats. ESPN says he recorded 12 interceptions, while Scout only credits him with 10. They do agree that he returned 5 of them for touchdowns. According to Scout, he also had a 98-yard fumble return for touchdown. 50-60 tackles is the consensus range there (tackle stats are rarely precise in high school).

He's pictured at right with the ball in his hands, which happened frequently last year.

FAKE 40 TIME

None of the premium sites have 40-yard dash times listed for Jarrod, which is realllly odd for a defensive back, especially one whose speed they generally praise, though not fawn over. Five FAKEs out of five.

VIDEO

Youtube highlights:

There's also a brief ScoutingOhio video, but they're no longer putting more than 3-4 plays on Youtube, which, way to get nobody to embed your videos anymore, guys.

PREDICTION BASED ON FLIMSY EVIDENCE

As I've been saying with most defensive back commitments in this class, it's tough to project too far into the future, since we don't even know positions for a couple of Michigan's defensive back commitments from the 2011 class. This guy is a free safety all the way, but whether Raymon Taylor and Tamani Carter play the position (or if anybody else already on the roster moves around) could have an effect on how quickly Jarrod gets on the field.

All that said, he plans to enroll early, which will help him get acclimated to college life and the defensive schemes earlier than his classmates, and he seems like a fairly polished player in high school as well. Better than that, he's a big, true free safety, something Michigan hasn't had - at least at a high level - since... Marcus Ray? I think Jarrod will get on the field as a true freshman, even if it's just on special teams (where he could play coverage or contribute in the return game) and a bit in garbage time.

As time goes on, his role in the defense will increase, and there's a good chance he's the "defensive quarterback" down the road, calling plays and making audibles, etc. As a junior and senior, I think he's certain to be a starter, and he could even challenge for All-Big Ten honors as a senior - especially if he continues his torrid pace of interceptions into college.

UPSHOT FOR THE REST OF THE CLASS

Wilson's commitment probably closes out defensive back recruiting for the class of 2012, and means Jeremy Clark will indeed greyshirt next fall instead of immediately joining the current recruiting class (two 2013 commitments already, wooo!). Unless the staff feels really good about an elite prospect down the road, Wilson joins fellow safety Allen Gant and corners Terry Richardson and Anthony Standifer to form a complete secondary in the 2012 class.

The needs for the remainder of the class remain the same: a true defensive tackle (or two) is imperative, at least one wide receiver is needed, and then there are lower levels of need for quarterback and running back. With the class expected to reach 23-26 prospects, there is still plenty of room for any top-flight prospects as well.

The commitment of Wilson might also help Michigan's case with one of the top 2013 prospects in Ohio, LB/Ath Elijah Bell. Bell is a teammate of Wilson's at Buchtel High School.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Wilson just committed.

Re Kalis, coaches are allowed to take vacations?

Comment

• thanks whodean

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              Gant committed today. It's been a while since we've had a commitment. I was starting to jones.
              Allen Gant? Can he do it twice?
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Really impressive DB class, should finish as a top 5 DB class and currently is as good as any. Debatable whether Clark should be considered a '12 or '13 recruit. DB class was good in '10 imo though pretty much nobody redshirted and added 'numbers' in '11..

LB class added five strong recruits as Mario Ojemudia is a SAM and was recruited as such, he could grow into a WDE. Again, this will be a top 5 or better type class at its position and is following a class that added 'numbers' in '11.
                Last edited by WM Wolverine; July 8, 2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• LOL! Thanks for calling me out Rock!
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Seattle - You meant Jerrod Wilson, correct?

This is an excellent commit. Another Ohio kid, another 4-star.

As much pain and suffering we've had to endure over the past 10 years at the hands of Saint Jim, and now it appears that his actions have thrown open the door for Michigan to get back into the series again.

Saint Jim reminds me a bit of Richard Nixon. Nixon had the 1972 election all wrapped up. All he had to do was campaign from the Rose Garden, and he would roll over McGovern. While he did indeed roll over McGovern in the general election, his involvement in the Watergate affair ended up costing him the presidency that he craved so badly. He became a pitiful figure, ridiculed and scorned by the entire country.

Jim Tressel had the CFB world in the palm of his slimy little hands. He had the pick of the crop in Ohio, and most of the midwest. He basically owned the series with Michigan. He could have run for any elected office in Ohio, and won by a landslide. He had friends in high places in the NCAA catering to him, and helping him promote his clean-cut "senator" image.

Now, his name is become the punch line for late night TV hosts.

Some people are never satisfied with success. They always need something more.

Thank you, Jim Tressel. Thanks for messing up things so badly in ohio, that now even your best state wide athletes are looking to go north.

Much appreciated.
                    Last edited by lineygoblue; July 8, 2011, 05:27 PM.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It is interesting to watch Hoke's recruiting strategy unfold in contrast to RichRod.

RichRod really put a focus on recruiting nationally, esp. in Florida, because that's where he thought the speedy players that fit his system were located.

On the one hand while I like the concept of M being a recruiting power nationally, dominating the region has a double benefit ... not only do you bring in good players, you damage your immediate rivals who don't have the ability to recruit nationally by depleting their talent pool. RichRod didn't get this and allowed teams like Sparty to grow strong under his watch.

It's pretty clear that Hoke has hurt Sparty this round ... although the severity has been mitigated by the fact that Sparty has also been able to pick around O-state's carcass.

The real test will be whether Hoke has the Jabba-esque power to maintain a recruiting edge even if Sparty outperforms M during this transition year, which I think is pretty likely. Hoke needs at least 2-3 years of dominant recruiting relative to Sparty to start to shift the power balance.

Comment

• I don't think Sparty has that much of a talent edge on us right now.

Everything good that could possibly happen to Sparty last year, happened. They were exposed at Iowa and caught Wisconsin at the best time possible. Alabama made them look like a HS JV team.

I don't understand why Sparty is getting so much fear/love from everyone.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• well Sparty does have a senior QB who has burned us pretty good... I agree after this year we will likely be on level footing ... I just don't want this year to undermine the recruiting gains we have made.

Another great season by Sparty and some of their recruiting gains may be solidified. Look at Wisky ... a top QB chose them over Auburn ... some how the Meathead has really got the Bagers riding high.

Comment

• From Touch the Banner:

I am a huge fan of Wilson's abilities. He has the size, speed, tackling ability, and ballhawking instincts that Michigan teams have been lacking for the last several years. And, perhaps best of all, he's the elusive Michigan-recruited safety who actually looks like a safety and not a linebacker. Brady Hoke and Greg Mattison are recruiting linebackers who played linebacker in high school, and safeties who played safety. Hallelujah! The next thing you know, they'll be recruiting running backs and wide receivers who are taller than 5'6" . . .
                            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Michigan-recruited safety who actually looks like a safety and not a linebacker. Brady Hoke and Greg Mattison are recruiting linebackers who played linebacker in high school, and safeties who played safety.

Amen!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                Jim Tressel had the CFB world in the palm of his slimy little hands. He had the pick of the crop in Ohio, and most of the midwest. He basically owned the series with Michigan. He could have run for any elected office in Ohio, and won by a landslide. He had friends in high places in the NCAA catering to him, and helping him promote his clean-cut "senator" image.

Now, his name is become the punch line for late night TV hosts.

Some people are never satisfied with success. They always need something more.

Thank you, Jim Tressel. Thanks for messing up things so badly in ohio, that now even your best state wide athletes are looking to go north.

Much appreciated.
                                Well, it seems that he needed more than just his persona to get them to stinktown in the first place. He probably just got caught doing what got him to such "heights" from the get go.

Comment

Working...
                                X