Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on earth is the justification for limiting these kids exposure? And the idea that these camps are only for Power 5 schools is bunk. There are plenty of other schools that Coke or hear about kids that otherwise lack the resources to reach out to a Ball State or vice Versa. Any opportunity for these kids to have a chance to earn a scholly is important.

Moreover, even if it is only a negligible benefit to the potential recruits, how could it possibly hurt the recruits? It's only a proposal so that coaches (who earn millions of dollars on the backs of those kids) can be lazy.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• It would be like allowing Dred Scott to travel to a free state...
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Sir Patrick Scott (CB) decommits, this was very much expected. Wasn't on pace to get admitted to M. M's been recruiting DB's with his departure in mind, I already had removed him from the recruiting board about a week ago.

Comment

• At least 1 of Hill or Long is pretty critical now, they are in great shape with both.

Comment

• Yeah, decommits. Cut.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Scott was a recruit M actually wants (plus Scott wanted to be here too), there are a couple more decommits coming that M won't mind so much when they leave.

Comment

• Care to speculate on who, or do you not wish to start any rumors?
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The speculation/rumors are:

1. Enis (Staff regrets the offer is rumor)
                  2. DE (1 of Ron Johnson or Rashad Weaver aren't that solid)
                  3. Dytarious Johnson (grades are the issue)...

Nate Johnson WR is a paper soft commitment, I like his talent level though Donald Stewart and Pie Young would take his spot with a second thought... Everybody else is awfully solid in their commitments as far as I'm aware of...

Ron Johnson 'allegedly' has an official visit coming up, his HS teammate is Brad Hawkins who might give him a reason to stay or leave with him... Enis took a visit to Indiana sometime in early December...

FWIW M's staff sees Brad Hawkins, Ahmir Mitchell, Kiante Enis, Chris Evans and Kingston Davis as athletes (WR/RB/DB/LB); guys who'll they'll figure out their positions after they arrive on campus.
                  Last edited by WM Wolverine; January 13, 2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                    Absolutely outrageous. So I decided to look up which colleges have the highest aptitude scores for incoming freshmen:

Of the top 100, there is not a single SEC school. Not one. Yet De'Shawn Hand would have us believe that he went to Alabama for a good education. Nonsense.

The "Summer Swarm" and "Exposure U" camps allowed potential college football players display their abilities and perhaps earn a scholarship. What could be more American than that? These were kids who could not afford to go on the "camp circuit", and most assuredly not go to IMG. The SEC in particular, and the ACC, want to keep these players down on the plantation.

We can expect the normal SEC response that the data on quality colleges is all wrong, and that "everybody does it". Other than a big payday, why would a player ever go to an SEC school when he can go most anywhere and get a better education?

I personally hope that the B10 and Pac-12 defeat this anti-black initiative, and that they call it exactly what it is.
                    This is horesehit. All of it. I hope you are not representative of a B1G education.

Alabama is a fine university, and aptitude scores of incoming freshmen is a ridiculous way to "rank" schools. Especially inclusive state schools.

USNWR's top public universities, which uses a variety of metrics, has Bama ranked 43rd in the nation. They also have them ranked in the too 100 of all colleges and universities, public and private.

Honestly, the distinction between universities is greatest in grad and professional schools. Undegrad? Not so much. But continue with this silly narrative, if you must. Delude yourself in thinking that major schools, who are recruiting 5-star players, have a majority of those kids planning on med school, or getting that PhD in Biochem.

Just ridiculous.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I doubt a single scholarship football player at Michigan would have been accepted as a regular student. I couldn't open Geezer's link on my phone earlier but I thought he was talking about SAT scores for football players, not the student body. One has nothing to do with the other.

Comment

• AA, apparently well-lathered with Irish whiskey, brings the down his Mick pimp hand in defense of his beloved Alabama-Tuscaloosa!

Anyway, if the rationale is that the "swarm" provides opportunities to kids they would not otherwise have then you're going to have to come up with some examples of kids getting offered that wouldn't have received offers. I mean, even the crappy kids M offered and will now drop had offers other places. This "for the kids!!!" line of reasoning strikes me as contrived nonsense.

It is, first, foremost and only, about recruiting. It's about JH selling his brand. That's it. And the reason southern schools don't like isn't "fairness", it's recruiting! Yeah, The Nick can't hold satellite camps per SEC rules. So what. If they were concerned with fairness the SEC would do away with their own internal rule rather than petition the NCAA. The former is gads easier. But the former doesn't keep non-Southern schools out of their backyard.

Now, I don't see any sort of significant benefit to these things. Maybe long-term they're able to pull a kid from Alabama because he's grown up going to these camps. But right now all it is about JH building his brand in the south and they don't want him doing it.

Pretty simple.

I doubt a single scholarship football player at Michigan would have been accepted as a regular student.
                        Correct. And the same can be said of most other schools, including Ivy league teams.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• There have to a portion who would be accepted as a regular student.

Comment

• On Jan 3, AA said:
                            US News and WR rankings? Dear lord. That's the godwin of education arguments on the net.
                            And today AA says: USNWR's top public universities, which uses a variety of metrics, has Bama ranked 43rd in the nation. They also have them ranked in the top 100 of all colleges and universities, public and private.
                            Shoot, the only godwin I know is on Duck Dynasty! Must be my B10 education.

AA, you again revert to attacking the source. On the list I chose, UM was the # 1 PUBLIC university, not 43rd. When you get that low, I doubt if there is much difference. Perhaps Alabama should concern itself with aptitude rather than height, weight, 40 time and cost to the booster.
                            Last edited by Da Geezer; January 14, 2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Take this nonsense elsewhere.

This is a Michigan Football recruitment thread.
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Talent agreeing with Mike:

Quote:
                                I doubt a single scholarship football player at Michigan would have been accepted as a regular student.

Correct. And the same can be said of most other schools, including Ivy league teams.
                                Well, the SEC North is heard from, with an unprovable blanket statement. UM does not take JUCO players (or players from Fork Union Military Academy, and we know how that debate turned out). So there must be some difference in admission requirements. This proposition is virtually impossible to debate without knowing the SAT/ACT scores of the players, which is not legal to disseminate.

I'll name Jake Rudock as one who would have been accepted. But I don't know, and neither does anyone else.

I mean, even the crappy kids M offered and will now drop had offers other places. This "for the kids!!!" line of reasoning strikes me as contrived nonsense.
                                You are entitled to your opinion. I think multiple offers to poor kids is a worthy goal in and of itself. Again, you view these camps as "what can this do for UM in the short term." I view recruiting as part branding (your point), and many UM fans would support the open opportunity to compete that these camps provide. Let's remember that Spike Albrecht also fit your description of a recruit who had an offer ( from Appy State). Is it your position that Spike was not helped by his UM offer? Was it nice for Spike to have a choice? How does helping kids show their talents hurt UM, the B10, or the NCAA?

Or, for that matter, the SEC North.
                                Last edited by Da Geezer; January 14, 2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X