Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a Michigan Football recruitment thread.
    Yup. And the value of an education is what every recruit is openly paid. Totally relevant.

Comment

• There are a few a year for which Michigan battles Stanford because the kid genuinely is into the academics, but those are few and far between. And Michigan isn't going to turn away players others would take based on academic concerns in the vast majority of cases.

Comment

• There aren't a few a year. It's far more rare.

I reject recruiting as altruistic endeavor. Entirely. Others may not. JH does satellite camps for the benefit of JH and M.

I'm still unclear how one says M doesn't take FUMA players when they have, in fact, admitted a player from FUMA in the past. M has also had JUCO players in the past.

You remain remarkably wrong on this overall issue, Geezer. I respect your opinion. But when it comes to certain aspects of M, you suffer from the worst caricatures of M fans. You HC was absolutely correct when he called out M's efforts to "educate" football players. But, if you must carry on with the illusion that Rashan Gary and Kareem Walker and, Peppers, and, lol, Willie Henry would all get into M if they weren't athletes and are all outstanding students, so be it.
        Last edited by iam416; January 14, 2016, 11:29 AM.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• WM Wolverine, our new DL Don Brown has been assigned the late recruitment of Joshua Uche, apparently has an official scheduled with Michigan but Miami, Auburn, Bama and Florida are the schools to beat.

Local Miami, Fl kid, Any traction? realistic chance?
          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• The JuCo thing is real. We have had only two of them that I can think of off the top of my head in about 25+ years.

Comment

• Hanni:

By and large, JUCOs are not preferred by B10 schools. This is for 2007-2010:

Big Ten (3.4 per team over 4 yrs.)

Minnesota, 16
              Indiana, 5
              Purdue, 5
              Illinois, 4
              Michigan State, 2
              Penn State, 2
              Michigan, 1
              Iowa, 1
              Wisconsin, 1
              Ohio State, 0
              Northwestern, 0

Comment

• As far as Ohio State goes, they've signed 1 JUCO kid under UFM -- Corey Smith.

I don't think Fickell signed any. So, since 2007, M and OSU have signed the same number of JUCO kids.

Comment

• Yeah it's not a huge disadvantage relative to the B1G (although I seem to remember JLS at MSU signing quite a few JuCo kids), but other conferences do get a leg up there it seems.

Comment

• Heh. K-State signed THIRTY-NINE between 2007 and 2010.

Kudos to K-State for giving African-American students another scholarship choice, a choice certain schools refuse to provide. Bravo, KSU, for doing all you can to provide opportunity to black kids. And some white kids. Provided they can play ball.

Comment

• C'mon, Talent. OSU's scam is FUMA. Attached is a photo of Cardale Jones and Mike Thomas marching together. They were roommates.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I don't think Fickell signed any. So, since 2007, M and OSU have signed the same number of JUCO kids.
                      I notice you use 2007-10? Why those years? As we have discussed, OSU stores players at FUMA (the only academy I know about) and treats them as high school students. I've said before that this is a scam insofar as it can be used to make a statement that OSU limits JUCO transfers. These players take AP courses at FUMA, and transfer them to OSU. Perfectly legal, but deceptive when used to contend that OSU has the same admissions standards as some of their B10 brethren. They simply do not. Having Cardele Jones and Mike Thomas as roommates in the same year, taking college courses, certainly seems to me to be the same as being in a JUCO. Recruiting is partly about branding, and OSU tries desperately to say that they are in the same league as UM or Wisconsin when it comes to admissions. I acknowledge that I may be a caricature of your view of a UM fan, but you are similarly a caricature of my view of an OSU fan.

You are correct in using the singular in saying UM has taken a player from FUMA. I was railing about blanket statements, then I make one. UM took one, Chris Perry. My bad.
                      Last edited by Da Geezer; January 14, 2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Heh. K-State signed THIRTY-NINE between 2007 and 2010.
                        Heh. That's amazing. Actually a pretty good way to maximize the use of scholarships.

Comment

• I think Da Geezer has lost the plot though, you don't parade 44 players out for Senior day if you haven't changed some of your standards. He might want to tone down the outrage machine now that Harbaugh is in town.

Comment

• Not sure what you mean Froot. Did UM have 44 seniors on senior day?

It would be my fondest wish that JH changes the handicap UM has imposed on themselves. I've always maintained that UM recruits with one hand behind their back, and I'd love for that to change. It's a competitive business, and it is high time UM competes on a level field.
                            Last edited by Da Geezer; January 14, 2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• UM had 44 4th and 5th year seniors on senior day in 2015. I don't know what that number means, as I would guess that number includes walk-on players.

Comment

• WM Wolverine, our new DL Don Brown has been assigned the late recruitment of Joshua Uche, apparently has an official scheduled with Michigan but Miami, Auburn, Bama and Florida are the schools to beat.
                                Prime: That is a fine offer list. All I heard is that Brown offered Uche while at BC, and likes the kid particularly in Brown's scheme. Brown said he was going to change UMs scheme when he took over, so that remains to be seen. Uche's film is good, and it appears that he is downgraded to 3* because of his size (217 lbs). Brown wanted to use him as a hybrid of WDE and linebacker. From memory, Uche runs a 4.6.

Comment

Working...
                                X