Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it is all about other coaches being scared, I believe Harbaugh rubs a lot of people in the coaching fraternity the wrong way.

Make no mistake, this is about the SEC and ACC protecting their turf. Everyone was going to start doing this.

Comment

• LOL at "scared."
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        I don't think it is all about other coaches being scared, I believe Harbaugh rubs a lot of people in the coaching fraternity the wrong way.
        Exactly .....

Successful people, surgeons, lawyers, military and business leaders at the top of the food chain, are not always nice people.

What this whole episode has revealed is the astonishing level of hypocrisy of the NCAA and unbridled self interest of some of CFB's HC's and conference officials.

For a guy that was derided for his apparent lack of care for his players when he coached Texas Tech, Mike leach, has been a voice of clarity in ridiculing the NCAA's ban and the impact it will have on high school players seeking to play scholarship football at all levels.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Correct.

Comment

• I find it interesting that, given the SEC's ban on conference programs holding camps farther than 50 miles from their respective facilities, can appear to rationally argue this ban being applied nationally is a good thing.

I get that at some point when this ban was put into affect SEC schools didn't like opposing programs in their own conference coming to their own back yards to recruit. But really. That is an unsupportable argument in the context of the right of student athletes to seek sports based scholarship opportunities wherever they like or can obtain them.

I think this is what Jim Delaney was talking about when he noted after the NCAA ban that he would have liked to elevate the discussion about satellite camps to a holistic view rather than ad hoc:

"It is what it is. We made our case for holistic vs. ad hoc. You have to accept it. That's part of the (system) we signed on for. No reaction beyond that. You always would like to win rather than to lose a vote — I don't care whether it's in a court or legislature or an assembly of people. You go with the system that's in place, and so I support that, respect that and move on. (Coaches will) pick up recruitment; satellite camps are off the table, but presumably everything else is on it. "

"Presumably," there are still some larger issues "on the table" of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee. Given Delaney's response, I would think there may be issues there, yet unresolved, that involve making sure the student athlete is not impaired in any way from seeking scholarship opportunities.

Clearly, one way to make those opportunities available was camps. It is just monumentally stupid for the NCAA to have ended them by a capricious ruling that mollified two of the P5 conferences (ACC and SEC) and disadvantaged the rest of the CFB world including the student athletes.

The more you think about, the dumber it gets and the more likely some face saving rule is going to get implemented by the NCAA that will render the satellite camp ban moot.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 13, 2016, 07:43 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• FTR, the B10 was only P5 conference that voted against the ban. It was introduced by the ACC and SEC, but it would have failed if the B12 and P12 voted against it. They did not.

I hate to predict that the NCAA will act rationally, but I could see this rule modified to allow non P5 coaches to attend P5 camps or to allow X number of satellite camps. Something that will conform to the years upon years of standard practice before HARBAUGH!!!!! went extreme.

However, the rule is not going back to a place that will permit "The Swarm".

Comment

• I'm aware of the B12, P12 votes in favor of the ban.

I really don't think those two conferences acted in the best interests of the programs they represent and there has been some press to support that view. So why did they vote in favor?

IMO, the entire NCAA rule making process is one of the most antediluvian systems to regulate a large membership that I know of. I simply cannot understand how it still exists given that there are some very smart people running the various universities and athletic departments nation wide.

It lacks transparency and that is odd given the mission of university. I'd not be surprised that the P12 and B12 votes were provided at a price involving future considerations whatever those might be and I alluded to Delany's comments above which might represent those considerations. What they are I have no idea. It repeatedly issues idiotic and inconsistent rulings from those dealing with rule breaking to the stupifyingly complex rules that governs the membership.

Seems to me there is a governing body, the NCAA, that exists only because there is a lack of will among the membership to upset the apple cart and start over by designing a system that has a regulatory impact for the 21st century, not the 19th.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 13, 2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• The NCAA exists b/c the P5 allow it to exist. The NCAA would cease to exist if the P5 formed their own basketball tournament. The NCAA "rules" generally express the will of the P5, as this one does.

Satellite camps are trivial. You've spilled too much ink on this already.

Comment

• Well, yes ......

Self important people scratching each other's backs is what this is all about. Sad really considering what's at stake.

Comment

• Yeah the matter itself is somewhat trivial, like nearly everything college football it gets viewed through the tiresome SEC versus Big 10 prism. it reeks of something rushed through to prevent a Summer Swarm but it was poorly written that caught up a lot of camps that were not part of that like the Sound Mind Sound Body camp.

Ultimately if Jim Harbaugh is going to be the huge success Michigan fans project him to be, it will be because of great coaching and great recruiting. Some of the stuff he does is pure gimmick, it keeps him in the news. The Brian Cooks of the world will herald it as innovative and hard working. Some of it seems more like something an insurgent program would need to do. Harbaugh is a big name at a blue chip program that is 90 percent of the heavy lifting.

Comment

• Correct.

Comment

• I don't think it is all about other coaches being scared,
                          FTR, I didn't say "all" coaches were scared of Harbaugh, and the way he's going about his job.

I do think SOME are ...

... and no, I won't share names ...

But, I'll go out on a limb and say that NONE of them are motivated by "concern for the athletes". If anyone believes that, let me sell you some oceanfront property in Arizona.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Somebody better notify the NCAA quickly, and get this stopped right away. We don't want Purdue University gaining a recruiting advantage in Ann Arbor ...

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I should also note that the "it's all about the kids" stuff from BOTH sides is self-serving hogwash. HARBAUGH!!!!! isn't altruistic.

Comment

• Incorrect. Goes to Peru every summer as a missionary.

Comment

Working...
                                X