Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't touch a bet on that subject, there are different ways these contracts are structured that allow more money to be made at the expense of less equipment, apparel. You'd also have to take into account if the contract increases year-to-year, M's average rate will include seasons on OSU's old contract. Instead of comparing averages, you'd need to compare how much M makes from Nike in '17-'18 to OSU in '17-'18.

Comment

• "Football players were taught by professors who taught classes that were only available to student athletes."

This is as old as the hills. I got my undergrad degree from M in 1968. There was "Football English", and "Rocks for Jocks".

I have always been in favor of a 7 year athletic scholarship. Play your sport and take a minimum of 8 (real) credit hours for each of the first four years, and then 3 years thereafter to get your degree, if you really want one.

Comment

• I wouldn't touch a bet on that subject, there are different ways these contracts are structured that allow more money to be made at the expense of less equipment, apparel. You'd also have to take into account if the contract increases year-to-year, M's average rate will include seasons on OSU's old contract. Instead of comparing averages, you'd need to compare how much M makes from Nike in '17-'18 to OSU in '17-'18.
        It's a complicated calculation. And I agree--that's why I didn't make it (OSU had kept a lot of this stuff in-house in the past). But M's deal is 15 years (4 of which are an option) for $169M. OSU is at 15 for $252M. Texas got 15/250. I think I'd have a strong case that M is 3rd out of that group.

As I said way back when, the more recent the deal, the better. No real surprise.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I believe the last rankings I read of the value of the college football programs if valued based on income and potential was

Texas
          ND
          Ohio
          Alabama
          UM

But Texas made $ 150+ million, ND at about 120 and Ohio at 110 or so. I was surprised that Texas was profiting 50% more than UM and 40% more than Ohio.

Comment

• WSJ's analysis of most valuable CFB programs: http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much...rth-1452473476

The top 3 line up perfectly with Nike contract value.

Also -- My apologies for putting this stuff here. There used to be a thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it. This topic was originally discussed on this thread, so eh, I put it here.

Obviously, it's not recruiting.

Comment

• It kind of is. I believe you and I agree that branding is an important part of recruiting.

It does make me wonder why Nike chose UM as the only college football program to get the Jordan Jump brand? I am assured that this is a big deal by several college kids I know (all at MSU, BTW). I guess the premium brand wants to be associated with the premium brand.

Heh.

Comment

• I would guess Woodson and Jeter have more to do with M's involvement.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• And Ohio State has LeBron James stuff. Anyway, I think my point in the summer was that Ohio State is as big a brand as M and I think their respective contracts support that conclusion on their face. I don't have the inclination to parse through the particulars or figure in the time value of money. It's enough that they're comparable.

Comment

• OSU's success the past decade plus have helped propel your guys brand beyond ours. HARBAUGH!! will try and get us back to where we belong.

Comment

• I think this is unfortunately correct. Honestly, given our record this millennium, it's shocking that the deals are comparable at all. Says a lot about how strong the M brand was.
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• OSU got 103 million upfront too

Comment

• Honestly, for schools like Texas, OSU, M...probably ND...results don't matter that much. The brand transcends winning/losing. M's fanbase has proven, by and large, they'll eat one shit sandwich after another and still turn out. Texas does the same. OSU fans did the same during the Cooper era.

Re OSU, I mean, say what you will, but it's the only CFB in town for a state with roughly 11M people. Columbus and Birmingham are routinely the two top TV markets for CFB broadcasts....Columbus was 5th for Clemson-Alabama!

Anyway, it's the brand and the brand, IMO, may deviate in value slightly, but by and large it holds steady.

Comment

• Yup. And when you are looking at these numbers, it almost makes $ 5 million/year for a decent coach seem a bargain. Do the coaches get a cut of thee contracts?

Comment

• Coaches are paid by booster organizations along with media/endorsement deals. The actual university pays coaches similar to what top coordinators make.

Did you donate money to mgoblue? You're paying part of HARBAUGH!!! salary.

Comment

• M offered '17 recruit Scott Nelson S (3*, UoD Jesuit), should be an easy decision for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X