This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT'S OVER, SPARTY!!!
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• James Ross is the type of talent you can't say no too. Its too many LB's in back-to-back classes (8) but that type of competition and depth is what good defenses have. Plus it will allow M to redshirt the '12 kids while not worrying about redshirting the '11 kids if they are needed...

Nice to get kids from St. Mary's to hopefully end that Sparty pipeline... Not sure if M will continue to recruit Mario Ojemudia LB/DE, he was being recruited as a SAM instead of as DE though he could play DE but I don't think it would be his best position in M's defense.

Ron Thompson TE/WR is off again with his announcement date, which was supposed to be the 11th(?).

Comment

• Lots and lots of LBs in these last two classes. Finally! And we're seriously cleaning up in the state of Michigan, like the good old days. Kicking Sparty's ass especially so far.

Comment

• You know this is killing Sparty fans. Who owns the state's recruits now? Hoke/Mattison > Dantonio.

Comment

• It looks a lot from where I am sitting that Michigan is slow playing Ron Thompson. The kid doesn't have any offers that match Michigan's caliber, but he still hasn't announced. On top of that, his position is more than filled. We have two tight ends in this class, we got a 4* guy in last year's class and two guys who could move to TE (Clark and Heitzman), and we already have at least a couple of slow, lumbering WR/TE hybrid types on the roster (Jeremy Jackson and Ricardo Miller). On top of that, we still have some huge needs and only about 10 or 11 schollies to fill them with.
            Last edited by Hannibal; May 2, 2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Supposedly Ron Thompson was ~ 20 lb's heavier this spring than he was last season and it wasn't good weight. M slow playing him is probably a good idea till he shows up at camps.

Comment

• We are loading up on quality LBs. Which is GOOD. I'm tired of constantly being one injury away from disaster. You have to have depth.
                Last edited by Jamie H; May 2, 2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• You can't help but like what's happening here. Still a Brady Hoke coached Michigan team hasn't played game one yet.

IMO, you are seeing what the deciders knew was a problem with Rodriguez and his staff - inability or perhaps unwillingness to focus on Midwest talent - that many failed to understand in deciding if RR should be given more time or get the ax.

Its been said here already, I don't think RR would have ever won a B10 title; despite producing some awesome offenses it was clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that he simply does not understand defense and sets his teams up for poor recruiting on that side of the ball. He's not likely to ever admit that and, in fact, there has been some interesting threads at Rivals commenting about that. Would a different DC solved the problem? IMO, and obviously in DB's opinion who was no doubt influenced by others in his inner circle of advisers in selecting Hoke, no.
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 2, 2011, 01:40 PM.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• The biggest problem IMO was that our defensive recruiting (under Rodriguez) had been permanently destroyed. Due to the disasters we had had on defense, no top defensive recruit was EVER going to come here with Rodriguez in charge. Every other school would negatively recruit the hell out of us by merely pointing out what a disaster our D was and how even 5 star guys like Campbell ended up as busts under Rodriguez. What top flight kid would want to come to a place where his chances of success and a ticket to the pros was minimal?

In the end it didn't matter what Rodriguez did with offense, because he so poisoned the well on defense that I don't think there was any way for him to fix it. Yeah, I guess if he could have hired someone like Mattison to come in and rebuild the D it could have happened, but I don't think Rodriguez was capable of getting a hire like that.

Comment

• I wonder if the massive load of linebackers is an indication that one or two guys are on the verge of getting gently nudged out of the program.

Comment

• I don't think so Hanni, I just believe this staff wants to have some talented depth on D. This is gonna be a fun year to watch recruiting, as it is exciting already.
                        Last edited by Chuck Mallory; May 2, 2011, 02:02 PM. Reason: add

Comment

• Interesting article about the LBers

It will be interesting to see where these guys rank when Rivals release their 100 and 250 list next week.
                          Last edited by Chuck Mallory; May 2, 2011, 02:04 PM. Reason: add

Comment

• You can never have too much talent. Line em up and see what happens. Some will get hurt or won't pan out, but if you bring in enough 4 stars you are bound to strike paydirt with some of them.

Comment

• Frank Clark only played one year at LB, and Desmond Morgan was not that highly rated either. Poole and Jones were the only kids I was excited about from last year's LB haul.

Comment

• Where did Clark play before?

Comment

Working...
                                X