Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    IMHO the NHL could capture new markets a lot easier if they would encourage play styles that let the game's talented superstars shine the brightest and in the most entertaining way. The game's resurgence in popularity post-lockout was in no small part due to guys like Crosby and Ovechkin.
    The problem is they don't build offensive superstars like they used to also it's much easier to play defense then score and given the expanded size of goaltender equipment the task is much more difficult. As for expansion, it has likely reached a maximum. Seattle & Kansas City (again) in the US as for Canada, Hamilton in Ontario and Quebec City (again) in Quebec. 32 to 34 team League at best in a 3 billion+ a year market.

NHL expansion to Europe is a pipe dream given transatlantic travel problems.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; June 13, 2012, 10:56 AM.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• The issue I have is the splitting of of rivalries among other things.

Comment

• I wonder what kind of piss water they are going to serve.

It's official: Beer will be served at Michigan Stadium during 2013 Winter Classic

Comment

• Geo - I think its something called "moosehead" .. or "moose tracks" .. or some such thing .... :-)
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Geo - I think its something called "moosehead" .. or "moose tracks" .. or some such thing

Moosehead is a brand beer up here in the great white north, which is pretty good. On the other hand Moose Tracks is a type of ice cream available, but you alreay knew that, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
              Geo - I think its something called "moosehead" .. or "moose tracks" .. or some such thing

Moosehead is a brand beer up here in the great white north, which is pretty good. On the other hand Moose Tracks is a type of ice cream available, but you alreay knew that, right?
              Forget Moosehead and Moosetracks! Big Sky Brewery makes a brown ale called "Moose Drool" that is far better than either of those other products (and, BTW, I already knew that one is a Canadian Beer and the other an Ice Cream).

"Moose Drool" has been available for years in NW United States; it just became available in limited areas east of the Mississippi (mostly in the western Great Lakes area, including Michigan, over the last year or so:

Comment

• Big Sky also makes a scotch ale called Heavy Horse which I like better than Moose Drool. Keep an eye out for it, Rob.

Comment

• Thanks for the tip, Dennis. I've also tried (and like) Big Sky Trout Slayer Wheat Ale and Big Sky IPA but none of their other brews yet.

Comment

• I'd had both Moose Drool and Trout Slayer myself. Pretty solid brews

Comment

• Way off topic but what's the best known/respected microbrewery in Michigan? New Holland? I can't think of too many that I've had from up there

Comment

• Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Oh Bell's, didn't realize that was in Michigan. Can't say that I've had too many of the others. Old Hat and maybe Jolly Pumpkin

Comment

• Bell's is probably the most well-known. They were a bit ahead of the curve, making a name for themselves before most of the others even existed, so they probably have a wide lead in barrels of production per year over every other microbrewery in the state. IMO, they have some really great beers and ales, but do put out an occasional clunker. I just heard that they are greatly expanding their operations with a new brewing plant in Kalamazoo and intend to expand their distribution area, eventually, to most of the country.

My personal favorite among Michigan-based breweries, though, is Founders, located in Grand Rapids. They have some ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC brews, the best way to get acquainted with their offerings is to go directly to their brewpub just west of downtown GR. I'd be surprised if Founders isn't available in Ohio---look for it at any party store that prides itself in a large selection. Do you ever go to Ratebeer.com or Beeradvocate.com? I could try to list all the Founder's Brews that I like (Red's Rye is my go-to microbrew), but they will have complete lists at both websites, along with ratings.

There's even a small local brewpub I occasionally visit here in SW Michigan that is highly acclaimed (and well deserving, too, IMO)---The Livery (in downtown Benton Harbor, of all places) is well worth a visit by anyone that loves their microbrews. They don't bottle anything yet, to my knowledge, so if you want to enjoy it at home, you'd have to buy a growler and get it refilled from time-to-time.
                            Last edited by Rob F; June 14, 2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• I hope Michigan Stadium will contract with at least one of the big Michigan brewers - preferably Bells or Founders - for the Winter Classic. I assume they'll have Labatt and/or Molson and the usual American Swill like Miller Lite. Ugh. I didn't even like typing that last one.

Comment

• It's about the Big House

CBS Sports has the latest NHL Hockey news, live scores, player stats, standings, fantasy games, and projections.

Comment

Working...
                                X