Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 137, 2016 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El ?guila de Guerra!!

Heh.

Comment

• BlueInCostarica ......... how are you doing with Hurricane Otto bearing down on you?

God help you if you lose internet and TV on Saturday!!!
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If I remember right, he's on the south, Pacific side....could be wrong, but if so he should be fine. I know they were evacuating people from Limon which is a good hundred miles + east of where my MIL lives and she isn't expecting the brunt.

Hopefully I'm remembering correctly and he's all good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
          BlueInCostarica ......... how are you doing with Hurricane Otto bearing down on you?

God help you if you lose internet and TV on Saturday!!!
          No problem. We are in the south in the jungle about as far from Otto as you can get and still be in the country. We have had a few of the rain bands but nothing different from the usual rainy season weather.

I get Tallahassee cable TV through the magic of Slingbox at the home of one of the kids. Ironically, I missed the opening weekend of college football this year because of a HURRICANE IN TALLAHASSEE!!!

This weekend looks good in Tallahassee and the Costa Rican jungle.

GO BLUE, or as we say here, VAYA AZUL!!

Comment

• These are two opposing views of what happened on Saturday and trying to put it into perspective ....... I've edited the first POV because it's too long. You can read the entire piece at the link below the edited version ......

I am not going to go into the officiating as there is nothing more that I can say that hasn't be said already.

24 months ago Michigan was sitting at 5-7 overall, and 3-5 in the Big 10. Let that sink in for a moment ... and if it doesn't, continue reading.

Michigan started out with a hopeful 52-10 blowout of FCS App. St, only to follow it up with an embarassing 31-0 loss to ND in the last game of that storied rivalry. Following this humilation, Michigan returned home to face the Miami (OH) Redhawks, whom they dispatched 34-10. Ok, the ND game was an anomoly, just a bad game, we can overcome it, right? Nope, the Utah Utes march into the Big House and promptly laid a 26-10 beatdown upon our beloved Wolverines.

Just when we thought things could not possibly get any worse, it seemed Hoke (and likely Brandon) had been listening to the fanbase's collective uproar for Shane Morris to replace Devin Gardner, and well ... it did not end well ... a 30-14 loss to Minnesota and of the oldest trophy in college football, Concussion-Gate, and another complete embarrassment to the once proud program.

............. Sitting at 2-4, and 0-2 in the Big 10, a ray of hope appeared through the clouds as Michigan was (somehow) able to knock off PSU 18-13, in kinda-sorta-not-so-much convincing fashion. Hail, Hail ... a conference win!

3-4, and 1-2 in the Big10, and a bye week for the team to lick its wounds and prepare for MSU. ......... Michigan drove up to E. Lansing, drove a tent stake into the natural turf, and promptly got their ass kicked up and down the field 35-11. Sparty, our one time whipping post, was laughing at us, calling us soft, and just when many of us wanted to pain to end, our coach decided that it would be a good idea to publicly apologize for the tent stake thing.

........... for first two weeks in November it seemed like it might be as Team 135 reeled off its first two game win streak of the year by beating Indiana in Ann Arbor 34-10, and then winning a miracle finish vesus Northwestern, in Evanston, 10-9. Michigan then went into its second bye week sitting at 5-5 overall, and 3-3 in the Big 10. Bad, but with underwhelming Maryland coming to Ann Arbor, and the bye week to prepare, becoming Bowl Eligible seemed like a real possibility -- oh, how the bar had fallen. Welp, that didn't work, and Maryland marched into the Big House and delivered a 23-16 beating and thus making Michigan's only chance to play in a bowl going to Columbus and beating OSU.

We all know how that worked out, and what has transpired since. 24 months ago on this coming Wednesday Michigan was 5-7 with wins over App. St., Miami (OH), PSU, Indiana, and Northwestern. Today, the day after The Game, as painful as the loss is, Michigan is sitting at 10-2 having won 10 games in back to back seasons for the first time since 2002-2003, and will likely be playing in a New Years Day bowl. Yes, we didn't accomplish our goals of winning the Big 10, and getting into the Playoff. Yes, its sucks, and yes I am crushed, furious, etc. ........ just a short time ago we were down on the edge of the abyss, looking down into the hole of college football irrelevancy.

Man this hurts, and hurts bad!  Michigan outplayed OSU yesterday in all three facets of the game, and even with the three turnovers, were right there (again) with a chance to win the game. I am not going to go into the officiating as there is nothing more that I can say that hasn't be said already. I am usually not much for "Perspective Posts" after a loss, but in this instance I think it might be helpful. 24 months ago Michigan was sitting at 5-7 overall, and 3-5 in the Big 10.  Let that sink in for a moment ... and if it doesn't, continue reading. Michigan started out with a hopeful 52-10 blowout of FCS App. St, only to follow it up with an embarassing 31-0 loss to ND in the last game of that storied rivalry.  Following this humilation, Michigan returned home to face the Miami (OH) Redhawks, whom they dispatched 34-10.  Ok, the ND game was an anomoly, just a bad game, we can overcome it, right?  Nope, the Utah Utes march into the Big House and promptly laid a 26-10 beatdown upon our beloved Wolverines.  Just went we thought things could not possibly get any worse, it seemed Hoke (and likely Brandon) had been listening to the fanbase's collective uproar for Shane Morris to replace Devin Gardner, and well ... it did not end well ... a 30-14 loss to Minnesota and of the oldest trophy in college football, Concussion-Gate, and another complete embarassment to the once proud program. This was rock bottom, right?  Could it get worse than 2-3 and having Concussion-Gate splashed all over the media?  How's about a 26-24 loss to Rutgers (I mean seriously, FUCKING RUTGERS!!!!) in which we make the Scarlet Knights' inept QB look like freakin' Joe Tom Brady Montana as a salve for those wounds?  This HAD to be rock bottom, right?  Sitting at 2-4, and 0-2 in the Big 10, a ray of hope appeared through the clouds as Michigan was (somehow) able to knock off PSU 18-13, in kinda-sorta-not-so-much convincing fashion.  Hail, Hail ... a conference win! 3-4, and 1-2 in the Big10, and a bye week for the team to lick its wounds and prepare for MSU. A bad spot to be, but with a big win over Sparty, it could all turn around, right?.  Michigan drove up to E. Lansing, drove a tent stake into the natural turf, and promptly got their ass kicked up and down the field 35-11.  Sparty, our one time whipping post, was laughing at us, calling us soft, and just when many of us wanted to pain to end, our coach decided that it would be a good idea to publically apologize for the tent stake thing. Ok 3-5, and 1-3 in the Big 10.was rock bottom, right?  Well, for first two weeks in November it seemed like it might be as Team 135 reeled off its first two game win streak of the year by beating Indiana in Ann Arbor 34-10, and then winning a miracle finish vesus Northwestern, in Evanston, 10-9.  Michigan then went into its second bye week sitting at 5-5 overall, and 3-3 in the Big 10.  Bad, but with underwhelming Maryland coming to Ann Arbor, and the bye week to prepare, becoming Bowl Eligible seemed like a real possibility -- oh, how the bar had fallen.  Welp, that didn't work, and Maryland marched into the Big House and delivered a 23-16 beating and thus making Michigan's only chance to play in a bowl going to Columbus and beating OSU. We all know how that worked out, and what has transpired since.  24 months ago on this coming Wednesday Michigan was 5-7 with wins over App. St., Miami (OH), PSU, Indiana, and Northwestern.  Today, the day after The Game, as painful as the loss is, Michigan is sitting at 10-2 having won 10 games in back to back seasons for the first time since 2002-2003, and will likely be playing in a New Years Day bowl.  Yes, we didn't accomplish our goals of winning the Big 10, and getting into the Playoff.  Yes, its sucks, and yes I am crushed, furious, etc.  But my fellow Michigan Men and Women, just a short time ago we were down on the edge of the abyss, looking down into the hole of college football irrelevency. Yesterday we played for something more than pride, and more than bowl eligibility.  We played for a chance to be in the Big 10 Championship Game, and the College Football Playoff -- hard to believe, in a way, isn't it?  Yes, we fell short, and yes that is unfortunate, but yesterday's game will undoubtedly be the most watched and talked about football game of the 2016 regular season.  College football fans of all inclinations (and hopefully the Committee) saw what happened yesterday, and know that Michigan was robbed of their chance to prove to that we're back among the elite.  As angry as it makes me, if someone has to thumb the scale to beat Michigan in Harbaugh's 2nd year, considering where we were just a short time ago, I'll take it. I know people in here will debate whether we're "back" and dig into the most minute detail of play calling, etc.  But, is there anyone among us who believe that Michigan is anywhere near its ceiling?  Keep cheating us if that's what you need to do to keep feeling good about yourself and your position.  Everyone sees and knows what you had to do to win, that the engine that is Michigan football is just getting cranked up, and that it's just a matter of time. Go Blue!

Another view and maybe more reflective of how some of you feel ......

Two years ago you were in a low paying job having to borrow money from your parents or whomever just to heat your house. (M 2 years ago)

Suddenly, you get a much higher paying job. Your bills are getting paid and you no longer have to borrow money. In fact, you can now spend more than ever before, affording things that only a minority of those around you can. (all teams in the top 25)

Now, you're in line for a huge promotion that will keep you and your family in wealth for the foreseeable future (CFP) and open up possibly another door to an even larger promotion (National Champion), but alas,.....some "big giant heads" that work in your company (Big 10 Officials) are either incompetent or paid off or fearful or biased or.....or.....or.

And you don't get the promotion although you deserve it, worked for it and earned it!

Perspective is just that......perspective. It doesn't change anything.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• From Tom Murphy, the only AP voter to rank M ahead of OSU, explains his ballot in which he appoints himself as ref:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyUdYOTV...jpg&name=large
              Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Also, why close the post game thread? We left the Iowa post game thread open.
                Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• The Big Ten has reportedly fined the University $10K for Jim Harbaugh publicly criticizing officials after the osu game.

It's been pointed out elsewhere that it took Bo Schembechler's public shaming of the Big Ten to not allow BT teams to play in any other bowls but the Rose to change that asinine rule.

While I don't want to listen to or deal with complaints regarding officials assigned to the osu game missing calls or being biased, I absolutely agree with Hack's arguments about the need to improve CFB officiating. I understand Wiz's position that a perfectly officiated game that is 100% error free is not possible to achieve. However the degree to which the number and implications of errors made by CFB officials across all conferences, demands more openness, more transparency and more accountability of the process by which CFB officials are hired, trained and assigned. It can't be that difficult. Look to the NFL. Hell, look to HS ball.

Somebody has to keep tearing down the barriers to achieving those goals. I can't think of a better asshole to do that than Harbaugh.
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 28, 2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• I just don't see anyone calling for error-free. Everybody knows its hard. I think people just want a sense of balance. If there are ten 50/50 calls or missed and the home team benefits from six or 7 of those, or even eight, well that's just how it goes. We accept a certain amount of home cooking. It is once you get into that territory when the home team gets 9, or even all of them like on Saturday, where people really start to wonder, and where you start looking at statistical averages and asking questions. How many times do you flip a coin and get heads all ten times? I'm sure that'll happen. It's a rarity, but it's gonna happen. When your product is dependent on a sense of a fair outcome, you need to have policies in place to ensure that integrity. When you get that situation, with that many officials with a compromised past and seemingly a demostrable downgrade in policies in place to protect against bias compared with a decade ago, you're just begging for it.

Comment

• Either way, it's Michigan getting snookered again. This time by the selection of officials. We are an institution with no instinct for winning or self preservation, so we end up on the receiving end of literally every single ass fucking and then complain about it the next day while MSU and OSU fans laugh their asses off at us. Or the SEC West team who buys our recruits out from under our nose, or the PAC 12 team who benefits from the one guaranteed bullshit call that goes against us in every Rose Bowl. It's all the same.

I'm sure that the B1G will address this, just like they addressed Spartan Bob. Hooray! Just in time! God knows we wouldn't want OSU to ever get screwed in Ann Arbor by home cooking. A few years from now we'll get completely screwed by something else, and I'm sure that it will be a one time affair that gets immediately addressed so that we can never benefit from it. I don't know about you guys, but I totally find comfort in knowing that our one victory over OSU each decade is clean.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; November 29, 2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        It's lining up to be a rough weekend for you.

Heh.
                        When I typed this, BiCR, I didn't know how painful it would actually be.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

24 months ago Michigan was sitting at 5-7 overall, and 3-5 in the Big 10. Let that sink in for a moment ... and if it doesn't, continue reading
                          Stop with the "be happy with less" bullshit already. Our basketball program has already been neutered by it and I refuse to sit by and let it happen with our football program.

Comment

• Fight the good fight, Hanni, and I'm with you 100% on it and like your clarity on this part of it. But, not much you or I can do from here on the forum. Gotta hope Harbaugh and the AD are on it.

Comment

• Historic TV ratings. People love watching Michigan

The epic Michigan vs. Ohio State drew a 10.4 overnight rating, making it the second-most watched regular-season college football game in ESPN's history.

Only game higher was the 2006 Michigan vs. Ohio State game, that game earned an 11.5 overnight rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                When I typed this, BiCR, I didn't know how painful it would actually be.
                                Bullshit!!

Auburn, with injuries and limited talent, did OK.

And Michigan showed me it was a much team than I thought. They played in as hostile and vile place imaginable, battled what may be the best team in the country toe to toe. They had to play against a Twelfth Man with stripes.

Bama better hope M is not in the final four. You will get your trunk handed to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X