Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 137, 2016 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some unofficial info on the two suspensions

A "source" on the team said that Mitchell is hanging by a thread, because he has failed several drug tests. He's said to be in Harbaugh's doghouse over this, and his Michigan career is in jeopardy. He's not likely to see any action at all this season. Sounds like another possible Kelly Baraka situation.

Shelton Johnson DE - the reason for his suspension is unclear, but he doesn't play a position of need, so his absence does not appear to affect the team as much as Mitchell's will.

Kareem Walker - his problem has been grades. He enrolled early, but his grades were not good, and if he had to qualify based on his spring grades, he would not be eligible this fall. He's been taking summer school, and grades were supposed to be issued by this coming Monday or Tuesday. The thought is, if he starts practicing this week, he made the grade. If he's not practicing, then he probably will not play this fall.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If Mitchell goes out, then I bet we take all 4 WR recruits that we are on.

Comment

• I'm always sad for talented football players who just can't put down the wacky weed in order to play football. He HAD to know he would be tested, but yet he tried to "smoke" and get away with it. Kelly Baraka had an amazing HS career, but couldn't lay off the weed to play ball at Michigan. Its sad.

I also heard another rumor regarding the RB position. The "source" said that by mid season, Ty Isaac will be the starting RB.

I guess we'll see how accurate these "sources" are.

Comment

• It's even more sad that weed is something that players get punished for.

I'll believe Isaac when I see it. JH loves Deveon.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
            It's even more sad that weed is something that players get punished for
            The older I get, the more I agree with this. I know that some claim that weed is some sort of 'entry' drug that leads to other drug usage, but there seem to be a lot of people who just seem to like weed, and have stopped there. I don't think using pot makes one a better football player, but I don't think a playing career should end just because remnants are in a player's system.

Comment

• "I know that some claim that weed is some sort of 'entry' drug that leads to other drug usage"

I hear this all the time and I couldn't disagree with it more. IMHO, the entry drug is alcohol. I know people who have smoked weed, and people who have used "harder" drugs, and alcohol is unanimously the first drug they used/tried.

Comment

• Alcohol has been shown to be the gateway drug, and is associated with a higher incidence of health problems and societal problems than pot.

That said, I don't smoke and wouldn't even if it were legal.
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 20, 2016, 09:56 AM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You can thank the private prison lobby and big alochol like InBev and MillerCoors for marijuana still being illegal in most states and listed under the Class 1 drugs like heroin and cocaine. Absurd

Comment

• I think the pain relief aspect of weed is suspect. Way, way back when I smoked, it intensified feeling. I think it might bring more attention to a pain rather than relieve it.

Of course, I think it should be legal and I don't begrudge NFL player, or anyone else for that matter, for smoking, but I wonder how many would be touting its virtues if it didn't give them a buzz as well as relieve pain...
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'm gonna say "oxygen" is the gateway into drugs. All people who eventually become addicted start off by breathing air. "Gateway" theory is garbage.

That being said, if weed were legal I'd smoke it.
                      Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Weed is basically legal out here and, having been a semi-regular smoker since college, weed doesn't entice me to do other drugs. If I do other drugs, it's because I like the effects they have on the body. Just like alcohol. Everything in moderation.

Comment

• cocaine and LSD in moderation ....

Comment

• Correct.

Comment

• Ty Isaac was a 5 star in 2013. Chris Evans is a 5 star in 2016. I'll go with Chris Evans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                I'm 12h in to 14h of flight time, all toll we left the hotel in Rome 18h ago. Brutal. I'll get back to you on my thoughts for team 137.
                                Two nights great sleep on Ambien to readjust the body clock and I'm ready to go.

First, I hate predicting before I've seen what Team 137 looks like on the field. Obviously, the OOC is not likely to tell us a whole lot either. So, with that in mind, I'll give it a shot.

I like FEI and M was #6 overall at the end of the 2015 season including the ass-railing M delivered to UF. But Team 136 was no football scoring Machine (69th NCAA total offense). A lot of M's good numbers came from defense and a good deal of those from the early season shut-outs. But, key players are returning and that is a positive.

I'm not wild about the OL. They weren't great in 2015 and, IMO, how the OL plays and what kind of running game it can deliver is going to be important to M's overall win total. I'm not convinced that the QB situation is all that important. If Speight or O'korn are playing under center how good the OL is in keeping them clean and producing a running game that will protect their individual weaknesses is going to matter more than how well either of these two play. One caveat ..... if M's passing numbers are well under 60% and QB ratings just above the 100 area (i.e., both of these guys are just bad) through the OOC schedule, that is going to hurt the win total going into conference play.

The defense is going to be really good and should keep M in every tough conference game they play. Who knows about ST but I don't see that unit hurting the team (like the end of the MSU game) or helping it much either (no proven elite KO or punt returners).

M will win all its OOC games by at least 3 scores each and everyone will be talking playoff and NCs. They'll lose two conference games but will win one of either MSU or osu. Iowa is a toss-up. They'll win the B10 East tie breaker (top East candidates will all have two losses) and face either Iowa (in a rematch) or Wisky (a real ??? to me with regard to how good they will be) from the West in the B10 Championship game.

If by this time QB play is at 2015 Rudock level, M will win the B10 Championship game and get a play-off bid. If not, they're more likely to lose and go to a Florida Bowl.

So, 9.5 to 10 wins with a lean toward 10. As long as M's two losses are not both to osu and MSU, I'll start believing M is back under JH. M could conceivably beat one of MSU or osu, lose to Iowa and suffer a conference upset due to, well, just because shit happens or injuries cripple one or more units. Those are the unkowns that make predicting CFB game outcomes hard.

Overall, I don't think M's talent or it's position depth are strong enough in all it's units to challenge the big boys participating at the 2017 playoff level yet. I think they will be though at some future point as long as HARBAUGH!! recruits at a high level and can challenge for the East crown on a regular basis. Not confident that if M does make the playoffs (they are 7-1 odds to do so; Bama is 6-1) they'll win an NC this season.
                                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X