Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 137, 2016 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember Wheatley as being disappointing until perhaps his final Rose Bowl. He was incredibly hyped, but couldn't break tackles. Pure speed was fine. I could be wrong. That was perhaps 25 years ago. No time to check right now.

I was mostly joking about Evans - Sanders comparison. (although Evans was more highly touted coming out of high school) My main point was that Evans is not limited to being a slot receiver or safety. There have been plenty of successful running backs at his size.

Comment

• I don't remember it that way with Wheatley. I rememeber that he was FRIGGIN AWESOME.

Comment

• Dan -- are you sure that you're not thinking of Wheatley's first Rose Bowl? Because for most of his freshman year he was 3rd string, but then he tore up Washington in garbage time and he was the clear #1 after that.

Comment

• I thought Wheatley set Rose Bowl records his sophomore year against Washington. The problem for him is he suffered injuries as he aged. I am pretty sure he missed time at the beginning of his senior year. As I recall, this took away some of his speed.

Comment

• Thanks for the info on Wheatley. I remember Gary Moeller being asked if he was the most talented Michigan recruit of all time. I think, in my case, expectations were too high. Checking his stats here, they look darn good.

Nick Baumgartner looks in depth at Michigan's running game against UCF: Why Michigan's rush numbers were low, and why big plays happened vs. UCF

Comment

• Look, M's got some problems. Brian at mgoblog, who has a good eye but admittedly limited because of how BTN closed in too tight on almost all the plays he wanted to look at for the Offense UFR, there's enough in his UFRs to produce legitimate concerns.

The left side of the OL (that would be Grant Newsome and Ben Braden have had problems, Braden less so it seems in game 3 than in game 1 &2). The D gave up some big plays - maybe this skewed the viewers perception of the game. CU did win the first quarter jumping out to a 21-7 lead. The D played well afterward other than giving up a 70-yard TD pass due to a coverage bust to start the second half, outscoring Colorado 38-7 the rest of the way. That's worth something I suppose but, as talent said, you can't whistle passed the graveyard and not be concerned. Right.

Here's some rainbows (from PFF) to blow up your ass (M is still the pick to win the East):

Here’s a look at the teams most likely to be vying for the conference championship come December, and where they stand currently in each of their divisions:

EAST DIVISION
              1. Michigan Wolverines

The Wolverines were tested in the first quarter this past weekend, as Colorado raced out to a 21-7 lead early. The Michigan defense dominated afterward other than giving up a 70-yard TD pass due to a coverage bust to start the second half, outscoring Colorado 38-7 the rest of the way. Michigan is our top overall-graded team in the country thus far, thanks in large part to the second-best defensive grade (Alabama is the only team to grade higher) and best run defense in the country.

The offense clicked in Weeks 1 and 2 against weak opponents, but struggled early against the Buffaloes. In order for the unit to progress, it must get better run blocking on the left side of the line from LT Grant Newsome and LGs Ben Braden and Ben Bredeson, and QB Wilton Speight must continue to use his legs effectively to buy time for his receivers to get open when the pocket breaks down.

While the defense has arguably been the best in the country through three weeks, the scary reality is it has missed multiple key pieces thus far, including Jourdan Lewis, our highest-graded CB from 2015, and DE Taco Charlton, who led all returning DEs in pass rush productivity last year and left early with an injury in week one. In their absence the obscene depth has played well, in particular freshman DE Rashan Gary, who has registered eight total pressures on just 55 pass rushes to go with eight total defensive stops.

The Wolverines could have Lewis and Charlton back as early as this week, and NT Bryan Mone could return as early as next week’s game against Wisconsin. Lewis’ return is especially key, as his ability to shut down half the field will not only help prevent the coverage busts that occurred last Saturday, but allow defensive coordinator Don Brown to become even more aggressive with his defensive play-calling. While Michigan’s next two opponents are two of the bigger names in the conference, Penn State this week is completely outmatched offensively at the line of scrimmage, and Wisconsin’s limited power offense is not a good matchup against Michigan’s defense. Expect two big statement wins to start the conference season for Michigan.

Seriously, and form the lips of a guarded homer, my sense is that you will see a different defense v PSU with Jourdan Lewis at CB - way different...... and if that doesn't happen - and you can bet PSU has film and will run a ton of slants and bubble screens - osu, who is really good at this, will eat M for lunch in c-bus. Whatever. I guess.

I'm not feeling as good about the O as I am about the D..... assuming, of course, with Lewis in their they can shut down the horrendous vulnerability to the slants. But, three games in, you've got trends. Maybe not solid evidence but trends that the run game is not going to improve because, you know ...... no need to recap.

OK, so, is M doomed because of all this? At this point, as Brain points out in his offensive UFR, the play of the receivers in both their "catchy" and "blocky" roles is off-setting the shit that is jet sweeps and inside zone. I don't know man, I'm not convinced.

So, watch for two things v. PSU: (1) If the slant, bubble screen or TE screen is thrown, it gets dropped for no or little gain. (2) The OL isn't falling all over itself at the LOS and is actually blocking guys instead of leaving that to the receivers.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Solution should be when Lewis returns, put Jeremy Clark back to safety in place of Thomas whose been guilty of about four big plays/TDs.

Comment

• Amen. Dymonte d-cant-e contain
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Judgmental chart of Michigan Stadium, where is the section about people who yell at you for standing?

Comment

• I sit in 17 and I throw cups of pop at those who stand. Some games, it gets expensive.
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ghengis Jon - those are good seats. One time back in the day when we both were posting on the FREEP forum, you gave your tickets to us for an Eastern Michigan game, and my wife and I had a great time. We stayed in Northville, where I grew up, and that is the last time I visited the state.

We still talk about it from time to time. Thanks again.

Comment

• That was my pleasure. Work sent me to England for a couple of weeks and they had the audacity not to ensure the subjected weekend was an away game. That was one of only 3 home games I've missed since 1990. My sister (the spartie wench) got married on a home game and the 3rd game I had shattered my foot the prior Thursday evening.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Well a work trip and your sister's wedding are reasonable excuses. I guess.

Comment

• Those excuses work for little brother and oiHo. Harbaugh expects more
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Any word on Kareem Walker? I know he was having academic issues but is he going to be back on the team?
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X