No announcement yet.

Michigan Baseball, Softball and Other Wolverine Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan mercy rules Indian 10-0. Play Penn State tomorrow at 3:30 pm on B10 Network (semi-final).

Comment

UM loses Big Ten tourney 4-3 to Minn in 10 on missed tag at the plate

Comment

Yeah, that's one bad thing about a single elimination tournament. One bad game puts you out the door. Minnesota had a very good pitcher. Not overpowering, but she got Michigan to swing at a lot of bad pitches. Committing four defensive errors didn't help much either.

Even with the loss, Michigan's RPI of #2 will still get them an At Large NCAA bid, and they'll definitely host a regional in Ann Arbor. Minnesota will probably gain a home regional as well, with a couple easier opponents than they would have with a loss.

Presuming Michigan wins its own regional, and they should, the Super Regional is where this loss could hurt them a bit. They'll likely end up with a bit tougher matchup than before.

Even #1 ranked Florida lost in the SEC tournament. So, maybe that will help negate the effects of Michigan's loss as well.

Pairings to be announced today.
        Last edited by lineygoblue; May 15, 2016, 10:24 AM.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Michigan Softball received the #2 overall NCAA seeding and will host their own regional beginning on Friday. They will play Valparaiso in the 2nd game of the evening after Miami of Ohio squares off against Notre Dame. The winners play on Saturday for the regional crown.

Should Michigan win the regional, they will host a Super Regional against the winner of the Missouri Regional the following weekend.

Comment

I don't watch them all that closely, but it looks to me like last year's team was better.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Although the stats probably don't support my view, I think the pitching last year was better than this year. Megan Betsa has walked a lot of batters this year, and you can trace every Michigan loss to the number of walks.

They never should have lost to Minnesota, but the walks, combined with 4 errors gave the Goofers too many opportunities to overcome.

Megan Betsa can be really, really good at times. When she's on her game, she can get almost any batter in the country out. But when she struggles, the whole team struggles. Personally, I like Sara Dreisingea, who is the Senior pitcher on the team, and is undefeated. She's not a strikeout pitcher, but she keeps the ball down, and gets a lot of ground-outs. Hutch seems to prefer Betsa in crunch time though.

Michigan should handle its own regional. ND could prove difficult, but being in A2 with good weather, and a big supportive crowd (likely a sellout) they should prevail.

The Super Regional is going to be a bit tougher.

Comment

Lady's Soft Ball just put ND away to take the Regionals, 6-2. Beating ND in any sport is good. M plays Missouri next.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Yep, Jeff beat me to it.

The Softball team won its own regional today by defeating Notre Dame 6-2. Michigan advances to the NCAA Super Regional which will also be held in Ann Arbor, and will face the Missouri Tigers.

Michigan defeated Valparaiso on Friday in the first round, and then followed that up with a win over Miami of Ohio on Saturday. Those two wins earned Michigan an automatic berth in the Championship game which was held today.

Notre Dame lost to Miami of Ohio on Friday, and had to fight its way back into the Championship game by beating both Valpo and Miami of Ohio on Saturday.

Pitcher Megan Betsa won all three games in the circle for Michigan for the tournament.

The road gets a bit tougher next week as the Missouri Tigers will come to Ann Arbor for a best of three series in the NCAA Super Regional. The Tigers are well known for their offensive prowess and will be a stiff test for the #2 seeded Wolverines. If the Wolverines can prevail in the Supers, they will return to Oklahoma City for the World Series, for the 2nd year in a row.

The Men's Baseball team finished the regular season in 4th place, and have qualified for the Big Ten Tournament, which will be held in Omaha, Nebraska. Michigan will need its very best effort, to gain the tournament title, and the NCAA automatic berth to the CWS. Without the tournament title, it is unlikely that the Wolverines will earn an at-large berth in the NCAA's.

Comment

Great times!

Comment

Missouri softball beat UNL twice in Columbus. They score.. UNL pitching couldn't stop them. In the other 2 games (against BYU and Louisville) UNL held the opponents in check. I'm pretty sure Michigan has better pitching than the huskers, but you'll need to get the bats going too.
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

The low-down on Missouri (stolen from a post at mgoblog):

We defeated Mizzu 13-0 back on 03MAR16 at the Judi Garman Classic. Mizzu has not done well with ranked teams during conference play this year (7-9). They split with #6 Alabama, went 2-3 against #16 Tennessee, went 0-3 versus #10 Georgia, was 1-2 with #12 Kentucky. They swept #16 Texas A&M in 3. They lost to SC in the opening game of the SEC tournament 7-4, but went 2-3 vs SC in the regular season.

Mizzu only faced one ranked team in non-conference play. The lost to #7 Oregon 8-7.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Michigan should prevail against Mizzou, but we've seen Michigan's bats go silent (re: Nebraska and Minnesota) and they've also had defensive lapses as well. Bright spot for Michigan is the pitching of Megan Betsa. She was practically unhittable last weekend, shutting out Valpo and Miami, while surrendering only two runs against ND. I'd like to see more clutch hitting from Michigan. They'll need it when they get to Oklahoma City.

I believe Michigan will get past Mizzou, and head to Oklahoma City for the World Series, where they should face the overall #7 seed in the first round.

Comment

M baseball loses its 4th straight to OSU and drops into the loser's bracket.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Now STFU.

Comment

M will play the #1-seeded Goofers who were upset by Iowa.

hi!
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X