Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbaugh should really start targeting QBs that can escape and run for yardage. The speed of the game really dictates it. He, Harbaugh, was pretty good at it. The kid from Penn State is really good, too. Even Andrew Luck can run when he needs to. Not sure about Brandon Peters. McCaffrey looks okay, but doesn't have elite speed or quickness.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Speight can escape and does a great job, but running for yardage won't ever be his thing. I don't know that it's necessary, but clearly you can't have a statue pocket passer anymore. That person has to have the feet to move out of the way of the first line of attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        Speight can escape and does a great job.
        If the opponent is Hawaii. You want to win a national championship? Better have a guy who can escape the speed of an Alabama or Clemson level defense. Those are some elite athletes.
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Honestly, I'd rather it. No doubt about that. But I think our coach as a track record that gives him the benefit of the doubt on larger strategy questions, and clearly he's not been here long enough to be judged. Even if there are things that I wonder about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            Watson was sacked 4 times and hurried 12 times. Their o-line is not a great strength.
            And yet they gained over 500 yards and scored 35 points against a great defense (without help from turnovers, or special teams). It's hard to do that without a decent offensive line, right?

Comment

• Or to put it another way, could Michigan have won the national championship this year with DeShaun Watson as QB (and the rest of the team unchanged)? It sounds like the answer is yes.

Comment

• They adapted and were effective. But Talent was absolutely right about their oline.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Must be good coaching also. I am somewhat shocked that Alabama's defense got torched in the 4th quarter. Did Clemson play a spread to offset the advantage Bama had on the line? The Tide started blitzing effectively at one point, but somehow Clemson was able to get past that and march for the winning TD. I guess Mike Williams was a big part of that also.

Comment

• They could have traded OL with M and won. Hyatts is a future first round pick. Their RT is frosh poop. Their RG was pretty awful, too. Kalis, IMO, is better. The left side was good.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                      Must be good coaching also. I am somewhat shocked that Alabama's defense got torched in the 4th quarter. Did Clemson play a spread to offset the advantage Bama had on the line? The Tide started blitzing effectively at one point, but somehow Clemson was able to get past that and march for the winning TD. I guess Mike Williams was a big part of that also.
                      Clemson's success on offense in the 4th was directly related to Alabama's lack of success on offense.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Clemson's success on offense in the 4th was directly related to Alabama's lack of success on offense.
                        I agree to a certain extent. Clemson ran 50% more offensive plays as compared to Alabama, and had 50% more offensive yards. Too often it was 3 and out.

On the other hand, creidt is certainly due the Clemson offense for improving over the course of the game. This does seem to fit in with Hannibal's theory that the spread offense can help to mitigate an overpowered offensive line.

Thanks also to Talent for the comments on Clemson's offensive line. Makes sense.

Comment

• The Tigers were held to 7 points for the first half, and 7 points in the third quarter.

21 points in the fourth. The defense was gassed, like I said.

Comment

• I think it's more than being gassed. Who in particular on the Alabama D do you think was gassed? If anyone was tired, it should have been Deshaun Watson.

Question: Why do teams normally play substitutes frequently on defensive line and running back, but not much at other positions? (if that is a fair generalization)

Comment

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                              I think it's more than being gassed. Who in particular on the Alabama D do you think was gassed? If anyone was tired, it should have been Deshaun Watson.

Question: Why do teams normally play substitutes frequently on defensive line and running back, but not much at other positions? (if that is a fair generalization)
                              Okay. I have been trolled. Been a while. Good job. Take care.

Comment

• I don't think you're being trolled, but Dan can answer for himself if he really meant it that way.

I agree fully that the defense was gassed. We've seen time and again how a defense can stone an offense until the fourth quarter, and then just run out of steam. Is why you have to finish games strong. Rare is the defense that can close out the game all by itself. The offense has to at the very least get a few first downs.

Comment

Working...
                                X