Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sport of boxing fucked up big time when they went to the pay-per-view model and made just about every meaningful boxing match inaccessible to the average Joe.
    EFZ. When I was a kid Boom Boom Mancini was legendary for the Youngstown-area folks. But he transcended mere State of Youngstown fandom because he was fighting every 3 months on Saturday afternoon. He became a huge national draw. Big enough that, yes, eventually he got PPV'd (and crushed by Alexis Aguello).

But you can't take every single title defense and make it $49.95. That's crazy.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      The sport of boxing fucked up big time when they went to the pay-per-view model and made just about every meaningful boxing match inaccessible to the average Joe. Now the sport is now nowhere near as culturally relevant as it was when I was growing up.
      MMA did that too. They don't seem to be struggling. They need one official ranking entity in boxing. Not four.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• More importantly, since this whole thing started with AA's preposterous regional pride, Stipe Miocic is the baddest man on the planet, hands down. And he's just a firefighter from Cleveland! And given his name, he surely drinks Slivovitz by the liter.

Comment

• When I was a kid Detroit had five sports teams. The Tigers, the Red Wings, the Lions, the Pistons, and the one team who was great -- the Kronk gym.

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          MMA did that too. They don't seem to be struggling. They need one official ranking entity in boxing. Not four.
          Boxing had multiple managing entities for a while but the sport didn't completely disappear from cultural relevance until the 1990s when it dropped off of ABC, ESPN, and USA and went exclusively to a PPV model. That was a mistake. You get huge, huge revenues for one or two fights a year but nobody has heard of anyone but a few household names, at most. The sport itself has almost no fans.

I don't know a lot about MMA. I do see ads for the PPV fights a lot. I understand that those fights make lots of money but what about the rest of the sport? As far as I can tell, it's still limited largely to a cult following. It doesn't have to be. Get championship fights on ABC or CBS and people will be talking about it around the office water cooler.
          Last edited by Hannibal; March 8, 2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Heh. If boxing could give us Hearns-Hagler then, man, I'm back! Those fighters in and around that weight class were so fucking good in that era. Hearns, man, so good, but sort of a tragic figure with a couple hugely famous "gallant defeats." It's a shame he didn't get rematches earlier in his career.

I know they had more champs than Hearns, but it's hard to get past him when you hear Kronk.

Comment

• Probably more than you need to know about UFC tv situation

The UFC doesn't have many firm suitors for its TV package. Fox has offered them an increase, but not what the organization wanted, and Fox may be targeting WWE as a replacement. Turner may not bid thanks to merger uncertainty. And ESPN and others don't seem too strongly interested right now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                When I was a kid Detroit had five sports teams. The Tigers, the Red Wings, the Lions, the Pistons, and the one team who was great -- the Kronk gym.

Boxing had multiple managing entities for a while but the sport didn't completely disappear from cultural relevance until the 1990s when it dropped off of ABC, ESPN, and USA and went exclusively to a PPV model. That was a mistake. You get huge, huge revenues for one or two fights a year but nobody has heard of anyone but a few household names, at most. The sport itself has almost no fans.

I don't know a lot about MMA. I do see ads for the PPV fights a lot. I understand that those fights make lots of money but what about the rest of the sport? As far as I can tell, it's still limited largely to a cult following. It doesn't have to be. Get championship fights on ABC or CBS and people will be talking about it around the office water cooler.

They are on some premium cable channels that offer boxing (showtime) and a few expanded cabke networks (Spike), but you're right. They dropped off the free networks.

I think another thing is that a lot of the boxers aren't that interesting. You need a bit of swagger and showmanship. Look at what Conor McGregor did in MMA..
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; March 8, 2018, 10:59 AM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Talent,

Stipe Miocic is the baddest man on the planet, hands down. And he's just a firefighter from Cleveland!

Stop with the preposterous regional pride, asshat.

Comment

• Shit on drunken Northeast Ohio Croats at your own peril, Sir.

Comment

• heh.

Shit on drunken 6'7" heavyweight champs who have a history of flying across country to meet people who sass them on the internet at your own peril, sir!

(He really did - will see if I can find a vid)

Comment

• [ame]https://youtu.be/aflkKR43IHo[/ame]

Comment

• Holy shit! Did you see the finish of the Bama/A$M game?
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Yes. It should have never been close. But Roll Tide.

Comment

• 18-14. Play Auburn tomorrow at noon.

Comment

• tyson was the last exciting boxer.

his loss in the far east might have been the last time I paid for a fight--although I think it was on one of the premium channels

leaonard/hearns/Johnson/boom boom/haggler/duran/ was the heyday

Comment

Working...
                                X