Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol no But I have been hungover both days or I could have put in a LOT more effort

Comment

• Putting more effort into being wrong is a fool's errand.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I think the non-con discussion as it relates to "being afraid" or "not afraid" to schedule difficult or tomatoe can early games is beyond stupid.

The money factor as if is defined by respective school ADs drives where a big name team goes for early games. Period. End of discussion.

Dave Brandon scheduled M to play Bama in Jerry's World because of dollars not because a Hoke lead and developed team had a fucking chance to compete. Brandon was a dunce with regard to the subtleties of M football but he knew how to make money - his failure at pizza and toys notwithstanding.

Unfortunately for Brandon those subtleties of understanding what M fans want (e.g., reasonable ticket and concession prices so families can afford a weekend of M football along with not getting blown out because the HC you hired isn't up to the task) and don't want (e.g. towel canons, RAK blasting in the stadium, 5-8 records and NFL level bull shit entertainment), did him in ..... and a good thing that was. Thanks Jim Hacket.

For me, there is no way I'm going to pay $300/ticket to see M play at a neutral site like Jerry's world so that Jerry Jones can fuck M fans on ticket prices and concessions, make millions in the process and give a pittance of the gate (and concessions including bar tabs) to M ..... whihc is exactly what stupid Dave Brandon agreed to with Jones laughing his ass off all the way to the bank.

You'll likely never see anything like that stupidity again at M although I'm not at all impressed with current AD, Ward Manual. So there is that.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Michigan was paid $6 million to play Florida in Arlington last year. I am not aware that they received any of the gate. That is usually not how these deals work. It is a flat fee deal like a bowl game. Or that's how Bama's works.

I have been to several of Bama's kick off games. The concessions were comparable in price and I got the tickets at face. Were they more than a regular home game ticket? Yeah, but not THAT much. Certainly not $300 more like $100-$125.

I do not know what M pays for season tickets. But with my "donation" by total expense is not cheap and I only get two tickets. A family of 4 would have a significant outlay.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Anyway. I love the kickoff games. I am a big fan. I like to travel, I like the bowl atmosphere, and I like any bump in recruiting. The costs are a bit more than a regular home game but not that much. While Arlington and Orlando are a bit of a drive, it can be done, although with Southwest's specials, I would fly.

Comment

• I'm in a group of 4 who order two season tickets each through two guys with seat licenses that also donate. This year two season tickets on the 10y line cost me $980 or about $70/game for 7 home games. I think there might be some premium games like Wisky that are more but that's the average. There are 2 of us that don't go to all the games so the license holders have some tickets to give and that's part of the deal as "to give" means they're not profit taking. I give my tickets at face and if its a big, meaningful home game, I might ask for a side order of Belvedere for my ticket. But, the norm is to give them away to someone who can't afford to go to games on the regular.

As for non-con away games, that M-Alabama game cost me $600 for two seats on the 50 at the Concierge level - or whatever. It was nice but a G&T cost $12, a draft beer was $8. If you wanted to eat, a burger was $15, ribs $20 and so forth. I thought it was a huge rip-off but if you go to a Falcons game in there new Mercedes stadium, concessions are just as expensive. I won't go. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and the Dolphins played an exhibition game last week. The cheap sets were $60 and concession prices are just like everywhere else.

I guess my point is that making money is the goal in the NFL and I'm fine with that as there are plenty of folks willing to pay $1000 for the wife and kids to see the Dolphins or Falcons play. What I dislike, and the thing Dave Brandon, to the disdain of most of the M fan base, was all about, was turning M football into a profit generating machine with revenue being squeezed out of M fans from concessions to memorabilia and clothing (M logo'ed Nike Polos are upwards of $80 some styles as high as $125 with a good portion of that returning to M in licensing fees). I hate it but also understand it is the way things are. I feel bad for Joe average M fan and his family that is being squeezed out of the game and especially the game at the college level. YMMV.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Alabama-vs-Florida-State-2017-REAL-Tickets.jpg

So, your only cost was the $980. Your availability of those tickets wasn't tied to a donation?

As far as liquor, there is no alcohol sales at Bryant-Denny, so I had nothing to compare it to. And I almost never eat at a game. Nerves plus mediocre food aren't a good combo. I usually buy a coke or a water, but $8 vs $12 or whatever doesn't seem like a dealbreaker to me.
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 12, 2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Yes, my tickets were tied to the donation of the guy I link up with. I'm not a donater. He is. The donators have access to extra seats and he's been in the same section for longer than I can remember - at least 15y and I've been getting tickets through him for the last 10 at least. We have 8 seats, all together, between the 4 of us and one set of two club seats that we rotate among us. I don't know the detail of how all this is accomplished but the lead two guys get it done and the other two of us share the spoils. It's a pretty good deal. I think the donators are doing $2500 each which gets them the extra tickets if they want them. I have repeatedly offered to contribute a share of his donations but he won't let me and I'm not complaining.

Comment

• My yearly donation is $10k. 80% of that donation is tax deductible, though. They are reducing or eliminating that deduction, though.

Comment

• Goddamn, I love this. Our secondary needed this:

Louisville WR Dez Fitzpatrick:

"Every receiver in our receiver corps can honestly beat every one of their DBs one-on-one in coverage,"

"But I feel like straight talent-wise, I feel like we have the upper edge against their secondary, 1,000 percent."

Comment

• We have football THIS week.

Comment

• Talent,

I saw your U-Dub pick. I am going the ither way. Auburn's front 7 is very good. I think maybe only Clemson's is better. I think they will give the Huskies fits.

Comment

• Please carry on this discussion in the Picks thread.

But, yes you're a well-known Auburn bootlick. I like Washington's defense as sneaky good and I think Browning and the offense is known good. I'm not calling the Huskies to win, but I do think it's within a FG.

That said, the last two times Washington stepped out of the P12 for a big game, they sort of got whupped (Penn State definitely put it to them despite the 2nd half rally).
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Heh. Side bet? I'll give you UW and those points. User pics for 2 weeks?

Comment

• Bama played UW in the cfp a couple of years ago. We dominated the line. I think they had 45 yards rushing and 25 of those 45 came off of two plays. But they stubbornly kept trying to run.

Comment

Working...
                                X