Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spartan Football - Owned and Operated by the University of Michigan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, there's no reason we shouldn't destroy them on 10/29. But we won't. Gonna be a painful day.

Comment

Are Bullough and Reschke still out? I have a bad feeling we'll lose someone to injury in a meaningless win over Illinois before headind to E. Lansing. Or as Reschke said earlier this year, before Michigan gets locked into their stadium for an ass-kicking.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Sparty needs a lot of help on offense not a couple linebackers.

Comment

They need help on both sides, not having Bullough and Resche hurts them as it may be their second and third best players on defense but you are correct that the offense needs more help. The defense is getting exposed as the offense can't stay on the field.

This reminds me of 1991, they had tied for the big ten title and expected to contend the next year. They got physically beat by Central en route to a 3-8 season. It was really the beginning of the end for Perles. His recruiting fell off and this was the first big time sign. My brother-in-law was the defensive player of the game for Central and to this day he says winning was a big deal but not a surprise because they weren't that good. The big contrast to that year is they have young talent but it isn't ready. Mark Dantonio is a much better coach than Big Georfe.

Luckily I missed this train wreck as I was in beautiful Troy, Ohio at the Hobart arena all day. I followed it on my phone until it was obvious they didn't have it(basically at half).

Comment

Moving the discussion back to the appropriate thread, MSU has and will always get some good players, but it's going to be hard for them to compete with M and OSU especially now that M may have found its footing and ended its rough period. I could see Dantonio being appealing to losers of the Herman sweepstakes, especially if they believe he could do a better job recruiting from a bigger-name school. One thing clear though is that whilst he may not be a top recruiter he's a great coach. I hope he sticks around though, long enough to have a losing record against M.

Comment

Good players, yes. Not in the league of the top teams, though. Check MSU's 247 composites over the past 6-8 years or so. Without looking, I doubt they'd have any top 20 teams. If they do, it can't be many.

We have played Michigan State twice in the last 6 years. The difference in talent was striking (small sample size noted, however).
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I don't think anyone would argue that they are. Dantonio has always been about getting the right three-stars, it seems. My point is simply that there's going to be a lot of vacancies this year, and only one Tom Herman.

Comment

Maybe you're right. I know that there was some chatter with South Carolina wanting him after Spurrier (USCe is his alma mater), but the Gamecocks weren't in a position to best his salary with the MichState (close to $5M).
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Right. Noise didn't get past alma mater last year, so who knows?

Comment

Some wealthy football programs (USC, Texas, LSU, Oregon, ND, etc.) are going to have poor head coaching options and lots of money to spend on them.

Comment

Dantonio isn't going anywhere, you rarely hear his name mentioned. That's because he doesn't have anybody in the background pitching his name. Plus he is 60, the time for jumping has probably passed.

On top of that, the situation is much different than when Saban was always searching. Saban had a bad AD, bad President, suspect facilities and they were stiffing him on money. The last 20 years has seen a marked improvement in the state of MSU. Lou Anna Simon will be looked on as a giant like John Hannah.

Comment

That makes sense. I think he put in for the OSU job before Meyer got it and was not considered, but otherwise there was USC his alma mater and outside that you don't hear his name despite the fact that he would be a solid choice. And if he were to jump, age would imply now or never. Again, I hope he sticks around.

Comment

I don't think he stays around more than 5 years. A lot of those jobs that WM listed pay well but demand quick results and a little flash. It would be fundamental change from how he built MSU. He could probably do it but most of those schools would seem like a bad fit in my opinion.

Comment

You think he retires in 5? If he actually were thinking about it, perhaps he might like a team with a lot of existing talent he thinks he can win with quick, but I see your point about fit.

Comment

Dantonio isn't leaving EL till he retires. Good for us to see Harbaugh put a few beatings on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X