Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badgers @ Wolverines, Post Game Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some keys to winning this game:

Wisconsin runs on 76% of it's standard first downs. They passed on 6/22 v. MSU. Don't be fooled. Chryst will come out having his Freshman QB, HorniBrook, firing away trying to do to M's D what CU did early. TE Fumagali will be the target for a few big chunk plays M's D is known to surrender while Brown figures out what to do about that.

On M's first possession, we'll see Wisconsin bringing heavy pressure trying to rattle Speigt and hit him a few times. That also worked for CU. Count on seeing that again. While ILB Beigle is gone, there's no shortage of back ups who haven't seen playing time.

Watch early to see how Grant Newsome and the entire left side of the OL holds up against DE TJ Watt and Wisky's Blitzkrieg approach with their LBs. Guaranteed Wisconsin will go hard to this side. We should all be hoping JH has some enticing constraints and feints to advantage M's offense v. that sort of thing.

The Harbaughoffense is going to have to use some trickeration in this game to move the chains. It's not going to run a whole lot between the tackles straight up although the edge of the Wisky D could be vulnerable with McDoom, Higdon et.al. doing their thing..... and that assumes the OL actually blocks some guys on those stretch plays.

It was mentioned earlier that Wisconsin seemed vulnerable to trap plays run by MSU. Cole will have to deal with NT Sagapoulu - a clone of the CU NT who gave Cole a lot of trouble just not quite as agile for that to work. I'm not optimistic.

My take is that those who have offered final scores for this game in the 24-13 range are missing the high likelihood that M's D and ST are going to score some points off Wisconsin errors. I also think there's going to be one big busted run play for the Wisky D because it is a high risk/high reward kind of D not a lot unlike Brown's. Still going with 17 points out of this sort of thing and a combined O/D/ST effort that scores 40+ points.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Christ Almighty. If there is one profession worse at predictions that sports prognosticators it is weather forecasters!

Comment

I don't know if there's any reversal of plans since the predicted storms aren't hitting but I did hear on the radio yesterday that the golf course parking was supposed to be closed today.

Comment

All I've got to say is go fucking blue. Lock this shit down Harbaugh and let's keep rolling this thing on to an undefeated showdown with Ohio.

Comment

No rain, high humidity makes for ideal conditions for a sticky pig skin. Heard on ESPN radio last night this game is "M's O vs Wisky' D." I was like what about M's D?
            Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

If they play well, that should be a given. Wisky's D will keep them in it. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington_beefhouser View Post
                .......... Heard on ESPN radio last night this game is "M's O vs Wisky' D." .....
                This is what you get for tuning in to ESPN Radio. While it may make sense it is a stupid sound bite, admittedly there's not always time for good analysis on TV or radio, but the outcome of this game is going to be pretty much about personnel match-ups.

We've mentioned a few of those already, like M OT Grant Newsome v. Wisky DE TJ Watt. That may top my list of important ones because if Speight remains clean, has time to survey downfield and his receivers run good routes, he'll connect. 3rd down conversion rate is going to be important if M is going to remain efficient on O and score the points they'll need to keep this one out of reach for Bucky Badger.

If I were asked about one key to this game, that would be it. M isn't going to run well a whole lot because of two factors: M's OL is average to good, Wisky's front 7 is very good.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 1, 2016, 11:38 AM.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

All I've heard this week is, "Wisconsin is for real!" and "Now we'll see if Michigan is as good as the hype!" I hope all of this talk has the Badgers believing what everyone is saying about them and the Wolverines feeling they have something to prove.

Keys to the game:

1. The Michigan OL. Got to get a push. Got to keep Speight clean.
                  2. Don Brown - Can he confuse and rattle the true freshman QB?
                  3. Kenny Allen - Field goals problems 2 weeks ago. No attempts last week.
                  4. Turnovers. LSU and MSU had 7 between them.
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                    I must be the only person outside the State of Wisconsin who thinks they win it. 24-17 Wisky
                    Stan's previous performance in predictions aside, there's just TOO many people calling for a blow out win. Harbaugh will have this team prepared, but this still smells a bit like an ambush.

Comment

Michigan hasn't beat a top ten team since RichRods win over #9 Wisconsin at home in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        Stan's previous performance in predictions aside, there's just TOO many people calling for a blow out win. Harbaugh will have this team prepared, but this still smells a bit like an ambush.
                        DOOOOOOOOM

We M fans are jaded by the last decade ...... we became used to seeing terrible football games where M struggled to win or got rolled.

Think back to the M of the 80s with Bo as HC. Disciplined, few errors, focused, tough. Got better each game and were a tough out for visitors and hosts alike.

I'm seeing a lot of that in this Harbaugh coached team. Both the numbers and the eyeball test tell us this team is for real. I'll admit, M may not take the step to the next level in this game. They could lose but I think more of that fear of a collapse is based on what we all saw for the last ten years.

I'm thinking positively.

Comment

Looks like Bryan Mone, who hasn’t played since Michigan’s opening game against Hawaii due to a leg injury, is dressed and ready to go today.

Comment

That's good news
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Wisconsin's best chance was a weather based washout (like the MSU-OSU game last year). Now that that appears unlikely, I predict Michigan 27 - Wisconsin 6.

There will be no turnovers by Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                DOOOOOOOOM

We M fans are jaded by the last decade ...... we became used to seeing terrible football games where M struggled to win or got rolled.

Think back to the M of the 80s with Bo as HC. Disciplined, few errors, focused, tough. Got better each game and were a tough out for visitors and hosts alike.

I'm seeing a lot of that in this Harbaugh coached team. Both the numbers and the eyeball test tell us this team is for real. I'll admit, M may not take the step to the next level in this game. They could lose but I think more of that fear of a collapse is based on what we all saw for the last ten years.

I'm thinking positively.
                                You scolded me prior to the season for doing just that. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Working...
                                X