Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to The Big House for the first time since I was a kid on Saturday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Going to The Big House for the first time since I was a kid on Saturday.

Anything I should know? A friend & I will be staying in Greektown so yeah, we'll be driving up from Detroit.

Any tips you longtime veterans of Michigan football can share? Like as far as when to arrive, parking tips, etc.

I'd like to be there and in the stadium a solid hour before kickoff, that way we can soak in the pre-game atmosphere and just get comfortably situated. So that being said, when would be an ideal time to be in the car and headed to Ann Arbor (from Detroit)?
    AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

11:30 at the latest to avoid traffic gridlock and secure reasonable parking. It'll give you time to grab a bite, maybe check out a sight or two, oogle some coeds, and make the stadium an hour before.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Nice, thanks Jon. Would love to hit Zingerman's but from the sounds of it trying something like that on game day would be an exercise in futility.

Anybody ever try the park & ride shuttle(s)? I read about a couple of spots in one of the Detroit papers that said you could park there (like a mile or 2 away from the stadium) and then ride the shuttle to The Big House. Supposed to be cheaper and save on the headache from all of the parking chaos.
      AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

Get there early and put Bailey's in your coffee. Solves most problems.

Comment

I've never done the park and ride thing- but from what I've seen, you'd need some patience getting back to your car after the game as the shuttles have a hard time getting through the crowds. So it would take a while to get out. That might not matter to you.

If you aren't arriving to tailgate and are willing to walk a bit, the parking structure on 4th just north of Packard is a decent place to park. $10 but you do have a bit of a hike before and after the game.

Have fun. I only get to 1 -2 games a year, so others may have better tips for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
            Get there early and put Bailey's in your coffee. Solves most problems.
            Baily's? You are so queer ....... goes right along with those Cosmos you love.

A couple of breakfast beers followed up by a strong Bloody or two and if I'm still awake, I'm set.

God, I miss OP and his schtick. What happened to him? Part of the unfortunate Great Exit?

Tilisher's advice is good, Nifla. When in town for a game, I'm tailgating by 8:30a for 3:30p games, earlier for nooners, and stay well after the game, tailgating, until the traffic is gone. Miss it on both ends. I hate, HATE sitting in my car in traffic. I can do that in ATL. Not going to do that in AA for a game.

My son, Sean, lives in Saline and we are part of a terrific group of tailgaters that gets together for every M game, road and away. So, I've got that advantage. Have a place to go and relax pre and post game. You might have to manufacture that and there are plenty of good places to hang out before and after a game. Maybe other's can chime in on that subject. The Packard lot is just a few blocks from Downtown AA - a bit of a walk to the Big House but not a problem. Bottom line, if you hate the traffic and it is very bad on game days, avoid it by getting into town and leaving it early and late.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

I wish you guys would not use "AA" for Ann Arbor.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

In Wiz's own words ........

Shut the fuck up.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

You damn booger-eaters are irritable today.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

OP provided me so many opportunities to point out how OP he is, and I too hope he returns. Nobody would deny he adds flair and panache. But if not, and you remain determined to step into the role, I guess that's fine. There is certainly for suspicion, given those 3000-word posts of yours. Masculinity is associated with brevity.

Comment

Agree with the comments about parking downtown if you're not gonna tailgate. It's nice to do the walk down State. One might feel a bit old, but there's certainly the eye candy.

Comment

OP, Mike and Liney are sorely missed
                        Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          OP, Mike and Liney are sorely missed
                          Hack ...... Is John-Paul Sarte gay? Probably the most verbose and hard to read writer I can conjure up.

No, I will not pick up OP's mantel.

Paul ..... they are lurking, guaranteed. I think all of us have, at one time or another just gotten fed up. I have. But the quality of the interchanges here, save AA's and talent's, is so high - CFB and otherwise - that you end up missing it and back you come.

I did talk with Mike a few weeks ago at the UCF game. As much as I wanted him to bring his departure up, we didn't touch it. Still pretty raw. But he was as friendly and engaging as ever. Love his football knowledge and love of M sports. Liney will be back. Might take a while but he'll return. I've not a clue about OP. Just disappeared and for the life of me, can't understand why. Really hope nothing has happened to him as he left without a word or complaint. Calling Linesman to chime in on that mystery - ???? - then you can go "poof."

Comment

Good. You have enough work to do around here. It's a big burden.

Comment

I took the shuttle when I was on crutches. I parked at the E. Williams ramp across from West Quad and took the shuttle. The ramp is $20 and the shuttle $1.50. Easy peasy to the stadium, a nightmare after the game. Shuttle leaves 35 minutes after the game and it takes another 45 to wind through traffic. If you like the walk down State St, park at the ramp over Scorekeepers (near the theatre), $8 to park.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X