No announcement yet.

Maryland @ Michigan, Game Day and Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domination, but I don't like all the big plays the defense gives up.

Iowa - Night game. Tough atmosphere. Won't be easy.
    Indiana - No worries. Their offense isn't what it used to be.
    OSU - The Game in Columbus. They have the athletes that could exploit our defense.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
      Domination, but I don't like all the big plays the defense gives up.

Iowa - Night game. Tough atmosphere. Won't be easy.
      Indiana - No worries. Their offense isn't what it used to be.
      OSU - The Game in Columbus. They have the athletes that could exploit our defense.
      Yep. Dead nuts on.

Comment

• Paul Finebaum was right.
        Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
          59-3 is your final. Michigan with 660 yards of offense. Speight: 19-24, 387, 2 TDs.

Michigan drives: TD, TD, TD, TD, TD, FG, turnover on downs, TD, TD, TD. Damn.
          [ame]https://youtu.be/Jz99B7-C0do[/ame]
          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Iowa isn't a gimme but not too worried about them. They don't do much that tests our defense's weaknesses though the Hawkeyes defense might be one of the better ones we face.

Comment

• Those highlights are awful why so many damn cuts?
              Last edited by Mainevent; November 5, 2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• IMG's interns worked those highlights.

Comment

• Offense scored 9 times on 10 posessoins. The one non-score was a turnover on downs deep in Maryland territory. 59 points and it doesn't even reflect how dominant the offense was. If the defense had been forcing three-and-outs then this would have been another Rutgers score.

Defense was unimpressive. Unblocked guys like McCray and Stribling let gets outside of them all day. How many times do you have to get beaten to the edge to finally figure out how to maintain outside leverage? The defense on those middle screens was a disaster too. Urban Meyer will be reviewing this game film.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; November 6, 2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• I can't recall UFM running a middle screen at OSU. I do recall IU torching OSU with a couple a few weeks ago.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Middle screens aren't likely with a read-option offense...

M's defense was tested on the perimeter with some good athletes and Walt Bell is a really good offensive coordinator. He doesn't have the OL or ideal QB yet to run his system well. Terrapins imo are likely to be in the top half of the B1G when Durkin gets his own players.

Comment

• From the stands........

It was fun, that is all.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Oh wait, the edge thing.

Maryland has some good athletes as WM points out. That little RB dude was something to watch. It's hard to see where he is on a stretch play. That contributed to M's issues there.

But, for the the most part, when Maryland's OC got the match-ups he wanted on any particular play, it was Stribbling who was getting victimized along with both McCray and Gideon. Peppers had his share of plays run his way and like I said last week, he's not going to stand up well against 300 lb OLmen or big TEs flowing to him. When he's not blitzing, where he is very effective, but has a contain roll, he's not likely going to be able force the play back inside when he's giving up 100 pounds of beef to the guys assigned to work him.

But be cautious about hammering on Brown or the players who appear to be getting beaten. Between the 20s, maybe they are. You'll see Brown deploying a lot of 2hi Ss in that part of the field but he goes super heavy in the red zone or when he does one of this selective blitzes and so far, nobody has really been able to drop a lot of points on that approach or sustain long drives by consistent chain moving.

The other thing he does, like I said above, is bring that unexpected blitz, between the 40s, that can be a drive killer for the opponent or bust a big play v. M. On average, he's rolling the dice and coming up on the right side of that calculation as it pertains to the score.

Can teams on the remainder of M's schedule close the deal and score more points than M has scored like M's opponents to date couldn't? Guess we'll see.
                          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• One other point I didn't mention. Offenses in doing these jet sweeps and zone stretch plays tend to bring their OLmen down field more than I think should be allowed. I don't think the BT officials are calling this a lot. I think it's 5 yards and I'd say there letting guys flow well past that point. The holding thing applies too. Not a lot of calling of that either. Way down this season from last. I'm good with let 'm play for the most part. Any way, those things hurt the way M defends the edge.

Comment

• Holding isn't being called at all and there is a lot of holding to get players to the edge. Run blocking as far as I know you can block down-field.

It's the run-pass option that never gets penalized when OL are blocking 5+ yards downfield that kill defenses for huge chunks. It's illegal and I never see it get flagged.

Comment

• McCray and Stribling whiff on tackles.
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X