No announcement yet.

Michigan v Indiana - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game was a great example of making key big plays and carrying those to a win.

Deveon - too many big plays to mention; most of them extending drives when M needed to do it.

O'Korn - Scarmble - 30 yard gain for big first down in that series - score.

O'Korn - 3rd down throw to Darboh to extend the drive and roll clock.

Little disappointed in first half. I didn't think the play callers put a fired up team into the best plays. Opponents have M's script on offense.

Defense was terrific in the second half. This is a hard offense to stop. Did that.

OL was also very good, especially in the second half. While it's hard to see this with the TV coverage, on a couple of Deveon's big runs, the blocking up front was superb. That's a very pleasant reversal from the Iowa debacle.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Gentle reminder not to put the score in the thread title, please.

Comment

• Back to back 10 wins seasons - everybody bitchin - Future is bright (as well as current period of time).

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          Gentle reminder not to put the score in the thread title, please.
          Good point. Fixed.

I was late to the forum today but saw the second half live.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• O'Korn never looked comfortable in the pocket. He looked like someone who hadn't played a meaningful snap in two years. He's also probably better suited for a Penn State type of offense where he isn't dropping straight back. It didn't help that he consistently had defenders in his face. Drevno was killing drives by calling a pass play when it was clear that Michigan could run effectively, but a bad result on a pass play was highly probable.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• One coaching comment -- IU had the ball inside it's own 15 -- as it always did -- with 50 seconds left in the 3rd quarter down 13-10. Instead of running the ball twice to get to the end of the quarter and then punt with the wind, they threw on first down and threw on third down -- both incomplete. A predictably awful punt gave M the ball at the 40 and Smith scored right after.

I told my wife after the first down incompletion -- those idiots are going to give the ball back to M at the 35. Not that it would have mattered much. Once M got back to pure power, it was over. But shit like that fascinates me.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• STFU
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent is right about going to a power running game. I don't get the insistence on overusing the shaky passing game.

Comment

• Everyone was right. Everyone was making the same comments.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• My one and only game I went to this year. The first half was cold and miserable, halftime was worse and the second half was a joy!

I really hope O'Korn/Harbaugh can make some adjustments/improvements. Just an accelerated crash course in QB-ing. At best, he's still going to be a game-manager but he was pretty close to a Steven Threet/Nick Sheridan level of effectiveness yesterday.

I would guess the weather won't be as oppressive. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts us overall. Tosu didn't seem to play well in those conditions yesterday.

Comment

• BTW- Is McDoom hurt? I didn't hear his name yesterday.

Comment

• I think it is psychological with play callers. You can sit at home and see the obvious that the conditions call for pure power running game but the draw to pass is especially strong. Most play callers have no patience for a long drive of 3-5 yard runs. They view those as jabs to set up a long pass.
                          There is also a strong incentive to use the passes you have practiced in the week leading up to the gane.

Lastly, there are very few play callers who want to get away from whatever identity they fashion themselves to have. There is only one as far as I'm concerned and that is Belicheck. He just goes with what works, I'm not even sure what his overriding philosophy is other than attacking an opponents weakness.

Comment

• On Belicheck ...... that's a very good point.

The one thing he does not have to deal with that CFB coaches do is the requirement to cover weakness. It's there at the NFL level but the degree that is a consideration is much lower.

Moreover, pros don't have to worry about the NCAA rules on practice time and going to classes. Way different environment although your point is well taken.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              I think it is psychological with play callers. You can sit at home and see the obvious that the conditions call for pure power running game but the draw to pass is especially strong. Most play callers have no patience for a long drive of 3-5 yard runs. They view those as jabs to set up a long pass.
                              There is also a strong incentive to use the passes you have practiced in the week leading up to the gane.

Lastly, there are very few play callers who want to get away from whatever identity they fashion themselves to have. There is only one as far as I'm concerned and that is Belicheck. He just goes with what works, I'm not even sure what his overriding philosophy is other than attacking an opponents weakness.
                              Wayne Fontes was another example of this.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                              X