Announcement

Collapse

FORUM POSTING RULES - Read before posting

Forum Rules.

(1) The guiding principle for posting in this forum is moderate yourselves.

(2) Don't write a post that attacks, impugns or denigrates another poster's character. There's an obvious difference between the language of humor and hateful, debased language. Know the difference and post accordingly.

(3) This is a Michigan sports forum. The forum welcomes posts from M's sports rivals. Talking smack, posting sass is what college sports rivalries are all about. Rules (1) and (2) above apply. If you don't want to view the posts of a rival talking smack or sassing, use the ignore feature in User Controls.

(4) This forum is about sharing thoughts, ideas and viewpoints about all sports, any number of subjects and issues, learning stuff from other posters and having fun. There are threads by subject matter within the forum for doing this. Keep the threads on point.

NB: The rules above are not intended to build a case to ban a poster. There are consequences for rule breaking as specified below. That's as far as it should go. Only the most egregious and persistent rule breaking would cause the moderators to consider a ban.

Due Process.

(1) The forum has 6 moderators. Jeff Buchanan, Jon, JD, Hannibal, Oracle, Entropy. None of them want to moderate adult posters who should know better. There may be posts that break the rules.

(2) Posters who, at the sole discretion of a moderator, break a rule will be given a warning post that will site one of the rules listed above as the reason for the deletion.

(3) If the rule breaking behavior continues, a moderator can remove an offending post and any ensuing post that whines about that action. If a moderator removes a post(s) the reason for the removal(s) will be posted with the removal notice that appears in the thread. This should be the end of it. Man up, take responsibility for breaking the rules. The forum moves on. If not, see below.

(4) A poster who has had a warning or a post(s) removed can certify a question by PM to any moderator about that action. Do not complain about the action or attempt to make your case in the forum/threads. Moderators shall do their best to address the question within 72h. At the end of 72h the majority opinion of the moderators responding will be the answer.

(5) Banning a poster for egregious and repeated rule breaking requires a unanimous vote to ban from all 6 moderators. We don't anticipate this will ever happen.
See more
See less

Michigan @ osu, Game day and Post Game Discussion (Closed)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, maybe not bad at all.

Look, M's offense is probably a good deal better when Speight is good Speight not Iowa Speight. But we're not going to see if bad Speight or good Speight plays v osu. It's O'Korn. So, deal with that.

The Game is going to be about match-ups. My view is that osu has an advantage in most places except run defense. M may be able to exploit that. I think the chances of doing that are a lot greater if JOK can manage to show he's a down field passing threat - he's got the receivers to be that. If he can make a couple throws early, back the Ss out a bit, good for him. Pretty sure the play calling cabal will try to do that.

If they do and it succeeds even a little, we're going to see a Deveon Smith/Chris Evans extravaganza with a bit of Ty Isaac and Karan Higdon thrown in. I actually like M's run offense better than I like osu's but that's just me. Obviously, jtb adds another dimension to osu's ground game but I feel OK, just OK, mind you, about the ability of Brown and his players to deal with him after they dealt with the kitchen sink that Kevin Wilson and his offensive play callers put out there.

It would really help Brown and his coaching staff if Harbaugh and the offensive cabal were able to put O'Korn in a position to make some throws. That may not happen. If it doesn't and jtb is his usual self as a passer, producing a typical November B10 slug fest on the ground, passing be damned because both coaches don't rust their QBs, I like M's chances if that is what it turns out to be. It's the one area where Jimmys and Joes match up best for M.
    On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): “We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

[ame]https://youtu.be/io2T8JLn824[/ame]
      On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): “We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

Oh, BTW .......

Fuck osu.

Comment

IMO, McCray is slow. Or he doesn't play fast. If he's tasked with stopping Samuel, then I'll revise my prediction.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            IMO, McCray is slow. Or he doesn't play fast. If he's tasked with stopping Samuel, then I'll revise my prediction.
            I imagine McCray will be.
            It will probably cost M in a couple key moments.

M will call a blitz and put McCray 1 vs 1 on Samuel. JT will toss it out to Samuel and he will go for 20.
            Go Detroit Lions!

Comment

Heart:
              Michigan's been planning for this all along. Speight will play and hit some long downfield bombs to loosen up the run game. Butt comes up big in the short passing game. The Pepcat formation has been all a set up for the entire season and peppers hands off/throws a pass that goes for a touchdown as every single osu player keys on him. Michigan 24 - OSU 10.

Head: Speight is hurt and goes out after a sack. O'Korn can't keep up a passing threat and OSU crowds the box. OSU runs the ball with both QB runs and running backs. M can't do enough on defense to stop them repeatedly and the offense sputters with O'Korn. Michigan 10 - OSU 24.

Going with the HEART - F*** OSU!

Comment

If we get Speight we're unlikely to get the good Speight. On-the-road Speight plus injured/ginger Speight. OL would have to keep him very, very clean.

I don't know what to think about several of the special packages. McDoom has been disappeared, to the extent that maybe there's a discipline problem? I would have thought that Peppers would have thrown out of Pepcat by now. I'd rather have established that threat already rather than unleash it with all the marbles on the line and have the guy throwing his first forward pass of his career. Better to just have the threat of the throw established by now, so the defenders have to think a sec.

Overall, I just don't know. Just don't know. Doesn't look good.

Comment

I'm with Tslisher on the head-heart thing. There's no way I'm picking against Michigan -- FACTS BE DAMNED (of course, that's the Spartans' line this year, with the 3-8 team boasting a pair of moral victories with very gutsy performances beyond the FACTS).

May the best team win, and officials be wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                    May the best team win, and officials be wise.
                    Unfortunately, the best team is probably going to win.

Comment

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Correct ........

samuel has to get through the wash created by the aggressive and penetrating play of M's DL first before he gets to confront the slowness of McCray in particular.

Just a little hesitation or disruption for samuel sprinting to the edge in that wash of bodies opens him up to back side pursuit from the likes of Wormly, Taco or Gary.

This isn't M's 2015 defense that got absolutely crushed on the edge. It isn't the NFL ready OL that osu put on the filed last year either.

Comment

I absolutely love BronxBlue's writing style when he does his Best and Worst piece at mgoblog. Here's what he had to say about The Game. It's a good read regaring the M/IU game.

Two weeks ago, I thought UM was the moderate favorite. With O’Korn under center on the road, I’d give the nod to OSU ever so slightly. But this is absolutely a game that UM can win with an okay performance from their QB; I’m not sure OSU can win if Barrett completes 50% of his passes and runs the ball 25 times. I’m not taking the maize-tinged glasses off quite yet, so I’m expecting UM pulls out a nail-biter and moves on to the B1G title game.

jtb had one of his best games ever against M last year in AA. This year he's in c-bus. He will play well - how well will depend a lot on M's D and that D isn't the one that got hammered in 2015.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/best-and-worst-indiana-2

Comment

OSU will exploit UM's edge weakness. JTB won't have to throw the ball deep. Assuming O'Korn is starting, my fear is that JH will go into an ultra conservative and predictable shell. Let's get imaginative with some misdirection and shorter passing routes that will give O'Korn some confidence...some screens and for heavens sakes get the ball into the hands of Butt. If he does these things it is a close game. If not, OSU pulls away in the 2nd half. I just don't see a "W" this year. Not quite there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by maxreturn View Post
                            .......Not quite there yet.
                            I don't get this sort of reasoning. THIS is the year. It's too bad that M didn't get rolled in c-bus last year instead of AA. I think if this game were to be played in The Big House, M would likely win.

So, yeah there's a disadvantage there and, yeah, not having Speight with what he did do well at QB and instead having O'Korn, who we now absolutely know why Speight started over him, is a disadvantage.

But this looser mentality really bothers me. This a great team with a decent offense that can run the ball effectively. It is a terrific defense - maybe M's best ever.

The Game is eminently winnable in c-bus and with O'Korn IN 2016! Next year there will be big holes to fill. The time is now.

Comment

OSU's offensively is the type of team M has had issues with defensively. They've a mobile QB, run the read-option, have athletes that can get to the edge, make our LB's miss tackles and Weber should give us even more troubles than Wadley did.

Plus we're down our QB, plus we're on the road... If Speight starts I'll have some optimism...

Our defense is good enough that it could keep us in the game (hold OSU to about 20) and even give us a chance to win but I just can't see our offense clicking with O'Korn under center. Against a good defense like the Buckeyes, I don't see him moving the chains. He's a shotgun QB imo that needs to have a 3-4 receivers wide and make quick decisions or have plenty of time to throw.

Iowa's DL rushing just four gave us more problems than our pass protection could handle and is the reason we lost the Iowa game and why Speight is injured. The Buckeyes defensive line is even better.

Comment

If Speight plays and is healthy: OSU 38, UM 24
                                If Speight plays and is only 80%: OSU 38, UM 20
                                If O'Korn plays: OSU 41, UM 10

Either way: lay the points, take the over. IMHO the over is a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                                X