Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree re OL.

I have to agree with Hannibal that our offensive strategy seems questionable. What's the point of having all these tight ends if we can't run the ball or give the QB time? At least if we spread the field, we'd have more options and less defenders clogging the middle.

Fire Drevno? No. The offense has been good for the most part. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

• That last no-call on the offsides was inexcusable. I couldn't believe there was no flag. What do you think?

Comment

• MichigAnnLanders! Win one for the advice columnist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
          That last no-call on the offsides was inexcusable. I couldn't believe there was no flag. What do you think?
          It was close, but a Matt Austin crew isn't gonna ever call it.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• To me it looked like the most obvious offsides ever. But on replay in slo-mo it did seem to be close.

Comment

• Speight was stepping up in the pocket today instead of rolling out. I generally like that approach. Would've like to see some deeper throws. We waited until the last failed series to try anything to a slot receiver.

We did mix it up and get the ball to Wheatley, Bunting, Evans, and McDoom. In retrospect, we should have tried to stretch their defense more with Crawford or McDoom. Also would like to see Evans catching the ball.

Comment

• Speight didn't have time to throw anything deeper! He was scrambling for his life on half of his passing attempts. Speight looked like a typical QB when faced with the type of pressure he was facing, fix the OL and Speight is one of the better QB's in the B1G.

Comment

• Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Gave up a long return at the end of the game to set up the loss, just like Iowa game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• A lot of talk that Jabrill faked the injury to help his draft stock (seems like made up nonsense)... when really nobody knows.
                    I don't think people should focus on that. It didn't cause the o-line to suck ass.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                      Agree re OL.

I have to agree with Hannibal that our offensive strategy seems questionable. What's the point of having all these tight ends if we can't run the ball or give the QB time? At least if we spread the field, we'd have more options and less defenders clogging the middle.

Fire Drevno? No. The offense has been good for the most part. Rome wasn't built in a day.
                      A day -- maybe not. But two years is more than enough time to mold four guys who are three year starters (Magnusson, Kalis, Cole, Braden) into a unit that is much better than the stinking turd that we saw in the last four games of this season. To chalk this up entirely to Hoke leaving behind a crop of overrated recruits is suicide and will lead to nothing but more disappointment.

Another year that ends with a two game losing streak. For those of you not counting, that's the eighth time since 2001. Another year with no championship. Another losing streak to OSU in progress that will reach at least seven games before we have a small shot at winning again.

I think back to the end of the 2013 season, when OSU's shitty defense cost them a couple of games at the end. What did Urban Meyer do? Did he fiddlefuck around, blame his predecessor and give Luke Fickell another four years to try again with a fresh crop of recruits? Nope. He demoted him immediately. OSU won a national championship the next year. They have lost as many games total since then as we have lost in our last four. Urban Meyer does not accept failure and he doesn't take six years to identify it. That's why he is an elite coach.

Something absolutely must change. A scheme that requires five fifth year senior NFL O-linemen to work is a shitty scheme. Take a look at what is happening around college football. Teams all over are succeeding with less. In some cases, much less. Either Drevno needs to go, Harbaugh needs to revamp his scheme, or both. If neither of those two happens then Harbaugh will never beat OSU or a bowl opponent who actually shows up. Ever.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; December 31, 2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• I actually somewhat agree with Hannibal. I think there's plenty of cause to have problems with Florida State and its DL or even OSU's DL. FSU's DL is badass. Tonight you're going to watch Clemson's super badass DL do the same thing to OSU. However, against lesser teams the running game was something they couldn't consistently count on. Now, I'm fairly certain it's a combination of OL and scheme. I don't think the "harbaughffense" gives the OL much margin for error. Nor do I think their RBs maximize whatever good work the OL does. But that's separate.

Bredeson was out of his league against FSU. He's a frosh. That's semi-understandable. Kalis was good against crap and overmatched against good. I think it's hard to get really good OL play when you have 1 clear weak link and when you have 2, and they're both interior, well, I don't know what to say. When you run into really good DTs -- which they have in spades on the southern elite teams -- you get gutted from inside. They papered over it enough against OSU b/c OSU doesn't have great DTs -- but against the likes of FSU, Clemson or, heaven forbid, Alabama, they have no chance.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The worst part about this is the now widespread acceptance of failure. This is the new normal and people are totally fine with it. This year they had muppets at mgoblog when we beat a 3-9 MSU team by a very unimpressive 9 points. The next time that we beat OSU will be reminiscent of the scene at Ford Field when the Lions broke their long losing streak the year after they went 0-16. When Harbaugh improves his record against OSU to 1-6, it will be seen as validation that he is doing an excellent job. It's just like what has happened with our shitty basketball program.

Comment

• If I were Najee Harris, I wouldn't be enrolling at M to run behind a questionable OL that is questionably coached. M won't get elite RBs until that's fixed.
                            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I actually somewhat agree with Hannibal. I think there's plenty of cause to have problems with Florida State and its DL or even OSU's DL. FSU's DL is badass. Tonight you're going to watch Clemson's super badass DL do the same thing to OSU.
                              Yet OSU will find ways to run the ball, largely due to actually being able to properly use Samuel, as well as having a mobile QB. OSU rushed for over 200 yards on Michigan this year despite it being a "down" year for the OSU offensive line. I'll bet that they get there against Clemson too.

Comment

• I'm not in the flush everything camp. It's too easy to generate massive failure of a system and coaches when it's obvious where the biggest problem is for M. Improve OL recruiting and development and Harbauffense is fine.
                                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X