No announcement yet.

Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet the spot was correct myself, and it's not hard to read the forum and see that for yourself. Probably worth it for you to go back and read the posts and see that. And if it wasn't, it was a matter of inches. And if you take any one call, there's a justification for what happened. But when you take more than ten, and in each case the call goes the same way, you have cause to wonder. I didn't accuse any one person or suggest a conspiracy. I said I wanted to know what the rules are, and that triggered a reasonable discussion for a while until this point.

I know accountability's a pain in the butt, but ``game was lost because of M's miscues'' is not an excuse to not improve the reffing. Everyone knows the reffing sucks. Many examples in many games. No reason not to improve it to the extent that that is possible. Sorry if you don't like it, or if you feel like protecting your own -- I'm sure the vast majority of guys are out there for the love of the game and should be appreciated. No doubt, and lets pay them what they are worth. With a little bit of more-careful oversight it should be easy to have those guys out there when it matters most. Then you avoid the problem people like me asking the logical questions about how these happen. If you don't want the scrutiny, have processes that insulate you from it. It sounds like there once were some, i.e. that you couldn't have officials from either state working The Game. I just wanted to know if that rule is still in place and was broken, or was informal, or what. Just wanted to know what's what. You have a problem with people knowing what the process is?
    Last edited by hack; November 28, 2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Reffing always sucks when you lose hack. It's not as bad as the losing team thinks 99% of the time. I've seen some games...and I'm talking a handful in my life where I think the officials made an unequivocal difference in the outcome. This game isn't even on the radar when it comes to that. Can it improve? Of course.

Again...missed calls happen and will continue to. It's an imperfect world with imperfect humans. Re the conflict question...you can email the B1G Head if Officials if you want and ask for their policy if you want.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Reffing can suck when you win too. Try watching Ted Valentine call a Big Ten basketball game. Pretty sure he just calls everything one team's way for five minutes and then flips allegiances. Michigan's big win over MSU at home in Crisler in 2013 was a great example of that. Screwing McGary over on an OOB call with 2/3 minutes left because in his head it was MSU's turn to get the calls for five minutes. We won that game. Reffing still sucks.

But, sure -- missed calls can and will happen. It's better for everyone if there are protocols though. If there were clarity on some of that shit we could all move on faster and you and your blind zebra friends would get less scrutiny. You benefit as well if everyone knows there are rules for conflict of interest and that they are followed. I looked on the conference website and didn't see rules for that. Post it there and then it's end of story.

Comment

I could also go back to the '04 Finals. Pistons got away with a ton on the Lakers. At least that wasn't a home/away thing. In basketball the calls go to the team that's more aggressive.

Comment

Those calls weren't "missed." When Darboh was held and tackled by Lattimore as the ball sailed past him on the opening drive, it was obvious to anyone who had two working eyeballs. "Missed" is not synonymous with "ignored." Then, after repeatedly taking it sans Vaseline, Harbaugh throws his play-sheets in the air and is given a penalty because it would be a technical foul in a different sport. No amount of "It's hard to officiate" excuses can be taken seriously in this case.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
              It's the offensive skill positions that I worry about. We'll still have a good chunk of that insane DL rotation back, with guys like Gary and Winovich and Mone ready to take a step up. It'll be interesting to see where Onwenu breaks in, but IMO the lines will be fine. Of course we won't have the insane pass rush of this year, but still. I'm also looking forward to Devin Bush busting into the lineup and seeing that true LB speed and in-space instinct he is supposed to have. Secondary -- shudder. At least there are talented kids ready to step into those roles.

On offense, well, it's gotta be all-out for Najee Harris. The roster of good/not great backs is an issue, esp with green WRs apart from Grant Perry. We saw very little of Bunting this year. I hope that's not a red flag.
              It's been too long since we've had an all american caliber running back. That has to be one of Harbaugh's top priorities.

Comment

Ohio State 30, Michigan 27 (2 OT) There's an old political adage that goes something along the lines of: In certain places, you not...

I love Other Brian so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                  Those calls weren't "missed." When Darboh was held and tackled by Lattimore as the ball sailed past him on the opening drive, it was obvious to anyone who had two working eyeballs.
                  Just for the record, I only have one working eyeball, and it was obvious to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
                    He was spot on. Unfortunately, that goes for his assessment of the O-line as well. Going into the the game I predicted a blowout in large part due to our crappy "offensive" line. Their collective careers were a huge disappointment. Drevno did wonders to get them where they are. Kyle "Whiff" Kalis was especially noteworthy as a bust.

Comment

Does this official look especially happy? Oh, that's Kevin Schwarzel from Southeast Ohio...

Save
                      Save

Comment

He should be fired!
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

He shouldn't have been there...

2006 game: His crew worked the Ohio State/Michigan game this fall, which also featured the two top-ranked teams at the time, but Schwarzel was not allowed to work the huge game because he is from Ohio.

Comment

For anyone wanting more information on how officials are picked for games, here is a link from mgoboards ....... where there is still considerable whining and complaining going on about the officiating.

BTW, Hack, I appreciate the sincerity of your inquiry about this. I think you are asking fair questions that need to be asked. I also think the bottom line is that you are not going to get what you are advocating for. The poster CharBlue makes this abundantly clear in his post in the link below. Scroll down to make sure you read his posts in response to the initial question.

Wiz ..... thanks for chiming in on this and providing your insight into how hard it is to officiate CFB games in the current age.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              For anyone wanting more information on how officials are picked for games, here is a link from mgoboards ....... where there is still considerable whining and complaining going on about the officiating.

BTW, Hack, I appreciate the sincerity of your inquiry about this. I think you are asking fair questions that need to be asked. I also think the bottom line is that you are not going to get what you are advocating for. The poster CharBlue makes this abundantly clear in his post in the link below. Scroll down to make sure you read his posts in response to the initial question.

Wiz ..... thanks for chiming in on this and providing your insight into how hard it is to officiate CFB games in the current age.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/did-um-k...rew-prior-game
                              Your sarcasm is duly noted Jeff...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Somebody has to call up the conference office and clarify this. If media hasn't put in a call already, that's a failure. People have to do their jobs, and if the beat writers at the Michigan papers haven't done this, that's a problem. It's one thing for a bunch of mgoblog posters to guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X