No announcement yet.

Michigan 33, Florida 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we have seen enough of Jim Harbaugh to know that this is his preference. Strong defense, milquetoast offense. You aren't going to see some dynamic QB play. I'm under the impression today was kind if an aberration, if he becomes a turnover machine that might change.

Comment

• Sid the Kid at the game today, is a Michigan fan? Who knew, maybe hes not all bad after all.

Comment

• Nah, Crosby's still a douche. But hey, at least we don't have Casey Anthony in our fanbase.

Comment

• Between black and DPJ there is plenty of reason to be excited about the offense...in 2018 and 2019.

Comment

• Speight started the year doing the same shit he did last year. Throwing the ball high, missing on wide open throws and not giving the WR a chance around the sidelines by putting the ball out of bounds. He also continues to wait for guys to get open rather than anticipating it, giving the D time to react.

He definitely looks more mobile and showed good pocket awareness. He also will on occasion drop in a beauty like that bomb late. He just needs to find some consistency. I'm not real confidant he will, but he'll be the QB unless he absolutely falls apart. O'korn is not the answer.

Comment

• from MgoBlog:

A shark’s skeletal structure is composed entirely of cartilage.
              The only bone you’ll ever find in a shark belongs to Jim McElwain

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                This morning running his mouth, lol this -

Florida RB Jordan Scarlett said, ?Michigan?s DL doesn?t move well sideline to sideline,? and ?No one in the SEC can block Taven Bryan,? calling out Michigan?s defense.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5469980-vi...ut-michigan-dl
                That turned out well for him.

Comment

• If Speight's the guy, and I agree that he is, for better or worse, Buchanan is right: run the fucking ball. We can't be having Speight slinging it around on run/pass downs for anything more than to keep the defense guessing. But we can't also be having him slinging it around full-stop. Limit risky adventures until there's a reason to expect more success.

Comment

• Our offensive line isn't good enough to just run the fucking ball. We aren't Bama on the OL.

Comment

• Yeah, if you want to get where you want to go, you need Speight. He has the arm to open up the defense, big time. He made several NFL caliber throws yesterday. You can win lots of games w/o that, but to beat the teams with frightening DLs you need those throws.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                        If Speight's the guy, and I agree that he is, for better or worse, Buchanan is right: run the fucking ball. We can't be having Speight slinging it around on run/pass downs for anything more than to keep the defense guessing. But we can't also be having him slinging it around full-stop. Limit risky adventures until there's a reason to expect more success.
                        I'm not going to put a final grade on Speight in the first game. I think his deep ball looked better than last year and am hoping everything else gets more refined as the season goes on, ala Rudock.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                          Our offensive line isn't good enough to just run the fucking ball. We aren't Bama on the OL.
                          Ty Issac for 114 and 245y rushing overall against UF's "terrifying" front 4?

I think you're understating how good M's run game was yesterday and will be going forward.

You and I were watching for similar things. I saw Ulizio serviceable at RT and the OL doing a much better job on zone-stretch plays. That is key to springing any of the stable of backs JH has at its disposal inside. Isaac had one and so did Evans on, as Harbaugh called them in the post game, "unscheduled run plays."

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Yeah, if you want to get where you want to go, you need Speight. He has the arm to open up the defense, big time. He made several NFL caliber throws yesterday. You can win lots of games w/o that, but to beat the teams with frightening DLs you need those throws.
                          Agree ...... but in the end, considering JH's penchant for wanting to beat the opponent up in the trenches, wear him down and close it out on the ground in the 4th, the big arm and NFL caliber throws aren't what you need then. You have to be able to run the ball against the best DC's, fronts and LBs. Have to in JH's strategy and that's not going to change.

I'll acknowledge against CFB's best defenses, those with depth, M isn't going to simply run inside, outside, move the chains and get first downs that way. To close these kinds of teams out, rather than a big arm and NFL caliber throws from your QB, you really need a good enough caliber QB to make his reads on early downs, throws to keep the Ss honest and a play caller (Drevno or JH - whoever is doing that) to have the smarts to call the right plays given down, distance and circumstances. Right now, I'm not thinking that chemistry is there and the JH/Sp8 history suggests it might not get there either.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• We gave our backs a ton of carries (49 carries, 4.4 ypc), Isaac benefited the most springing a couple big plays...

Coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for play calling a handful of excellent RPS calls by JH/Drevno in both the run/pass game that resulted in big plays. I saw JH being incredibly conservative with Speight in the passing game after the two INT's; running 75% of the time on 1st/2nd down to take the pressure off Speight...

The conservative strategy took as many or more points off the board as Speight did. The strategy worked as Florida's offense rarely crossed the 50-yd line but might not against an opponent that isn't one dimensional...

re: the OL - Mason Cole was dominant, AA and NFL talent; Bredeson will be at that level soon too. OL will look excellent till they play against similar talented front fours (Penn State, OSU, maybe Wisconsin), then we'll find out how good the OL really is. Ulizio's sub-par performance was expected and hope he'll improve in-season with game experience. I'll wait for the UFR on Kugler, Onwenu.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              I think we have seen enough of Jim Harbaugh to know that this is his preference. Strong defense, milquetoast offense. You aren't going to see some dynamic QB play. I'm under the impression today was kind if an aberration, if he becomes a turnover machine that might change.
                              Wasn't that way when he had Luck and Kaepernick. He inherited Wilton and hasn't been able to recruit anyone to take his place. The offense may look "milquetoast" because Hoke didn't leave much at QB, O-line & RB, and Harbaugh has not been able to recruit those latter two positions as well as hoped either. It seems that everyone else good running backs but Michigan. That's one huge recruiting advantage Urban Meyer has had over Harbaugh.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• The defense looked really good yesterday, but maybe the Florida offense is just that bad. The offense sputtered and wasn't very impressive in the red zone. Speight's biggest problem is between his ears. He gets rattled and makes multiple mistakes thereafter. At least they have a good kicker.
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X